Why become a member? ×

GarageBand Interface Recording issue

Mr Fretbuzz

Hi Guys, I'm trying to record a track from my bass via an Ashdown Mibass interface. I've recorded 2 bass tracks of the same song and neither are good. I'm using the interface as input and a Bluetooth speaker as an output.

The first track ... Just plugged my P Bass straight into the interface and then usb into the iMac. Generally sounds good but crackles on occasion and ruins the track. Even though I pressed the hear self button in preferences, couldn't hear any bass and effectively recorded blind.

The second track.... Bass plugged into an Ampeg V4B XLR out and instrument jack plug into the interface and usb into the iMac. When you select a new track you get a lot of feedback or noise straight away that stays throughout the whole recording and the level not so good as the first track.... Crackling as well but at least I could hear myself as it was recording.

Any ideas and do you think maybe a 24 bit interface would be better? If so can you recommend another interface that will give me a good recording and simple to use. I just want to play my ampeg into it XLR from the Amp, instrument jack into the interface, either usb 3 or thunderbolt 2 into my new iMac arriving tomorrow and hear myself playing via my amp.

I need to improve my utube videos.

Thanks guys :-)

Please give the Behringer U-Phoria UM2 a try. I have it and it is awesome yet very cheap at Thomann. I use ASIO4ALL and have sample rate at 1024 or there about no crackling no nothing, just great clean sound.

I use Reaper DAW with it.

Also check if by a chance you have selected the computer mic (if using laptop like me) that will give out lots of hiss but you will of course hear the bass because the mic is picking up the music. Make sure you select the USB interface input (either 1 or 2 depending how many inputs yours have)

I also find the sound to be better when plugging the bass direct into the interface and listen to it in DAW via headphones. Then adding FX or playing it via amp pluggins like Helian 1st Bass or Emissary Amp.

One of my tunes via Behringer U-Phoria UM2 [url="https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/instrumental-scjb-louder"]https://soundcloud.c...tal-scjb-louder[/url]

Edited by Che

[quote name='Che' timestamp='1445260672' post='2889993']
Please give the Behringer U-Phoria UM2 a try. I have it and it is awesome yet very cheap at Thomann.
[/quote]

Looks and sounds good Che I had a behringer DI for about £25 and it was as good if not better than my Ampeg SCR DI so I'm interested in it. So if I just wanted to plug my bass into it, 1/4 in and listen through headphones direct? If I wanted to use my Amp.... 1/4 jack into the line input and listen through headphones to the bass and the track in GarageBand ?

I never worked with GarageBand so cant tell but you sure can go from the amp to the interface. You can either direct monitor or listen in the DAW (thats what I do because the latency is not there at all ... well a tiny tiny bit which is not an issue when playing and can be fixed easily when mixing).
The line in is both for mic and instrument or amp and the 2nd input is for instruments and is a Hi-Z which indeed sounds best when going direct with a bass or guitar without any effects, you get such nice clean sound to work with in the DAW.

Edited by Che

Sorted :) It was the crappy Ashdown Mibass Interface :unsure: Bought a Focusrite Scarlett Solo..so simple to use and listen to this. P Bass into an Ampeg SCR DI, into a Boss Fender 63 Reverb, into my Ampeg V4B, XLR out into the Focusright, into GarageBand and using its virtual 60s Combo amp B) Not bad for my first recording with a DAW if I do say so myself lol

https://youtu.be/LAY9GtI3REc