Why become a member? ×

And suggestions for an inexpensive and portable power amp?

Naetharu

Hi folks,

I've switched over to using an ampeg SRC di and I'm loving it. Right now I'm running it into the front end of my Ashdown MiBass head for monitoring with the do signal going from the ampeg to desk. Since I'm not using the eq on the ashdown I'm thinking it could be better to get a dedicated power amp.

I need one that will play nicely with both my MiBass 112 cab and/or an Ampeg Svt 410. Any suggestions on makes/models/features I could look at?

Guest bassman7755

For a bass separates system people usually go for decent grade PA amps, the likes of QSC crown and crest are all common choices.
Generally you will have to pay more for a lighter weight, you could look at say the older QSC PLX range which are reasonably light (but not super light like the latest class D efforts) and can be had for reasonable prices second hand around £250 on ebay.

If your on a tight budget the behringer inuke series are probably worth a look and start about £140.

If you are ;looking for a small form factor like the Mi Bass then the expensive option is the Demeter Minnie 800. Very small, very expensive and never capable of 800 watts output.

Mid way try [url="http://www.class-module.com"]www.class-module.com[/url] their GA series are sub £400 and they have a sample for about £300 at the moment

Or you could find a builder/make one yourself, to your requirements with a module from one of the major class D module manufacturers.

£300 would get you a new Bose A1 "PackLite" - the power amp module that normally runs the B1 and B2 bass modules in their L1 line array systems. I picked one up when I saw it going cheap ex-demo a few months back because it looked like a handy backup not only for me, but also our guitarists as both use pre / power rack rigs. It's 'only' 250W at 4ohms but it's plenty loud enough and no bigger than a slightly old-school desktop hard drive. I've used it with a VT-Bass DI as a preamp and it performed perfectly.

Agree with 7755's suggestions. Always plenty of used power amps on eBay and similar. Look at QSC, Crest, Yamaha, etc. Avoid the 'disco' amps from, well, perhaps I ought not to name names, but it will be obvious. They tend to have rubbish power supplies and can't deliver the current you need for bass reproduction.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1445438439' post='2891483']
<cough cough>

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/270065-bag-end-minima-one-power-amp-1000w-into-4-ohms-lets-get-this-shifted-price-drop/"]http://basschat.co.u...ted-price-drop/[/url]
[/quote]

This! If I wasn't brassic I'd have it already!!!