Why become a member? ×

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.....

DavidMcKay

[color=#000000]Help me out here if you have a moment. [/color]

[color=#000000]If you had to go for one - which would it be and why?[/color]

[b][color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ACG 5 string Gallus[/font][/color][/b]
[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Neck[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]5 string, 35" scale[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bolt on 24 fret Rosewood board zero radius alloy side dots.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 piece Maple neck with dual action trussrod.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Asymmetric neck carve.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Body[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Alder with black limba top (a type of mahogany)[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hardware[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hipshot bridge Type B spacing 18mm.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Gotoh GB7 tuners.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ACG Custom FB humbucker.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hipshot string tree[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ACG EQ02 3K/S filter preamp[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][attachment=202970:Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 14.18.50.png][/color]
[attachment=202973:Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 14.19.04.png]

[color=#000000]Or this one.[/color]

[b][color=#000000]ACG J Type Graft[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Body Wood: Alder[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Body Finish: Grunge Black[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Neck Wood: 3 piece Maple[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Fingerboard: Acrylic Impregnated Birdseye Maple[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Neck Finish: Satin Lacquer[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Pickups: ACG FB Humbuckers[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Hardware: Hipshot Type B 18mm spacing. Hipshot String Tree. Gotoh GB7 tuners.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Passive,Volume/Blend/4 way rotary switch.[/font][/color]
[attachment=202971:Y6nAQu6.jpg]
[attachment=202972:JbPkMiP.jpg]

[color=#000000][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Cheers,[/font][/color]

[font=inherit][size=1][size=4][color=#000000][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Mac[/font][/color][/size][/size][/font]

Edited by DavidMcKay

I'd have that J Type in a heartbeat.
I like having two pickups and the birdseye maple neck is cool. The first one doesn't do it for me aesthetically.

Passive switching just means you can switch between active and passive - handy for tone variation, and a get out of jail card if your battery runs out.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1445177537' post='2889290']
The J Type for me. I like the contrasting colours and always seem to prefer a maple fingerboard. I am really not a fan of the Gallus body shape and tbh if i turned up to rehearsals with it my brother (drummist) would rip the piss out of me forever more.

[/quote]

I think I get what you mean.

I look at the Gallus and I think it would sound absolutely fantastic, but I feel I'd need to dress like a Viking crossed with a weirdy, beardy folk singer to look the part playing it (further post coming up regarding colour schemes).

I like the look of the J type more but it seems a bit mainstream and not so much a work of art. I feel I'd need to do my hair and dress like Mark Ronson to look the part playing it.

First world problems, eh?!?!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1445182262' post='2889353']
I like having two pickups and the birdseye maple neck is cool. The first one doesn't do it for me aesthetically.

Passive switching just means you can switch between active and passive - handy for tone variation, and a get out of jail card if your battery runs out.
[/quote]

Agreed re: the birdseye maple neck. If I had this guitar I would keep it under the bed in a tightly sealed box and take it out every week just to lick it! (exactly like the supermodel I kidnapped last week - but that is another story!)

Passive / Active - I get it (I think!).

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1445182262' post='2889353']

[/quote]

Yep.....what he said ^^^ 😉

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1445182457' post='2889357']

I look at the Gallus and I think it would sound absolutely fantastic, but......... (further post coming up regarding colour schemes).

[/quote]

Re: Paint job. I own the Gallus but I [i]want[/i] to own the J type (keep having GAS problems - not alone there I'm sure). If I can't have the J type then I will keep the Gallus, but I don't think I can live with the wood. I am sorely tempted to give it a paint job similar to this BC'ers:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/227483-variax-make-over/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/227483-variax-make-over/[/url]

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1445177656' post='2889293']
Neither

I wouldn't give either a second glance.

They do nothing for me.
[/quote]

[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I wasn't asking for anything other than A or B.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]As my old English teacher was fond of saying to the class, "Doesn't matter how good you think you answer is if you fail to answer the question."[/font][/color]

Edited by DavidMcKay

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1445204280' post='2889650']
[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I wasn't asking for anything other than A or B.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]As my old English teacher was fond of saying to the class, "Doesn't matter how good you think you answer is if you fail to answer the question."[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Nope, perfectly valid answer. Which one would you go for? Neither, don't find either aesthetically pleasing and both have red flag features whether it's the single pickup on one or the maple fingerboard on the other. That counts both out for me.

And in answer to the inevitable challenge - but if I said "Here, you could have either for free!" then which one would you go for? It would purely be the one with the higher resale value - and that's REALLY not the question you're trying to answer!