Why become a member? ×

Ear plugs and hearing loss

essexbasscat

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1445241688' post='2889756']
I'm in the same boat.

And that's the main point. . . . you don't get insurance [i]after[/i] your house has burnt down, so the sensible thing is to start using them when you don't have a problem.
[/quote]

+1 though my audiologist maintains that in the case of the vast majority musicians presenting for custom plugs, the damage is already done and it is not unusual that those presenting would have used generic plugs, in the belief that they were protecting their hearing.

It appears that many musicians are happy to extend themselves in the pursuit of gear, but when it comes to their health, a comparatively small investment in custom plugs is a step too far. In fairness, prior to my onset of tinnitus, I belonged in that category.

You never miss the water till the well runs dry

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1445249472' post='2889856']
Tinnitus & lack of sensitivity in both ears due to the 90s, basically.

For rehearsals/gigs/going out/etc I'm currently using Moldex 35db industrial disposables. Yeah, not hi fi, but they do the job!
[/quote]

Other than offering excellent protection ACS have a really flat response and this is what you pay for. Using them In a gig situation, i can hear everything as I need to, which to me is crucial. Its as if the volume has been turned down without any frequency suffering, allowing for a very musical attenuation.
The Moldex 35db plugs may well offer protection, but in fairness they are for industrial applications. Without the flat response that I have grown used to with the ACS custom, I would struggle and certainly not enjoy gigging, They would not do the job for me

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1445187661' post='2889434']
sounds like the problems I have, do you suffer from hearing loss?
[/quote]

Yes but only with softly spoken people, and invariably when they`re speaking quietly I can hear someone who is louder and 20ft away. I find that any noise that is quieter than the background I can`t pick up - in much the same way as if someone places a small object behind a large object, I can`t see it.

I have a permanet high frequency hiss in both ears wich i belive to be tinitus. When the new (and very loud) drummer joined the band, about a year ago i started to notice pain durin the rehersals and a a lot of ringing before that. So i just started to look for ear protection. Tried a few but they all muffled the sound so much that stuggled a lot find the right pitch. I allways ended taking them off.
At the moment i´m usig custom moulded plugs with elacin´s ER15 and they are by far the best i´ve tried. It took a wile to get used to it, but still can have a clear conversation, have fun with the band and find the right pich.

The whistle I have in my left ear started after I had had micro suction about two years ago to remove ear wax. I also felt as if my ears had become more sensitive, everything was now too loud whether playing or watching bands. The foam or silicone plugs I had been using were no longer effective. I went to Specsavers for custom moulded plugs, Elacin Er25s, and wished I had done it years ago. I never really liked putting plugs in my ears, they sometimes made me feel nauseous, but I don't know the Elacins are in. I am never without them now, I can still hear conversation with them in but when the band kicks off it is like standing outside. Money well spent.

When I used to play in loud bands I tended to wear builders' ear protectors for rehearsals because they are so much easier to take on and off between songs, and they don't irritate the insides of your ears in the way that some plugs can. I found the sound / frequency response quite adequate.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1445201671' post='2889616']
Anyone suffer from ringing in the ears because I do? <snip> I went to a a gig where I had to walk past the stacks to get to the loos. When I was passing the singer screamed, which physically hurt my ears. Since then I get ringing in my ears after playing or attending gigs even at moderate volumes.[/quote]

A similar thing did for mine too, one really loud gig in a small club where I stood at the front and ignored the discomfort.

Constant ringing ever since.

If I'm honest, I don't see the point in going to the quacks - what can they do? It wouldn't help me much if someone qualified told me I had tinnitus, I'd still have it.

I've closed the stable door somewhat, by wearing plugs now in noisy environments, so hopefully it won't get any / much worse.

• 1 month later...

I tried out a new pair of Alpine earplugs at rehearsal last night, and I was really pleased with them:

[url="https://www.alpinehearingprotection.co.uk/earplugs/musicsafe-classic/#"]https://www.alpinehearingprotection.co.uk/earplugs/musicsafe-classic/#[/url]

I've used Elacin ER20s for years, but the Alpines were much more comfortable and the sound quality was better. Mrs Davethebass is pleased too, as they came with a smart black aluminium keyring case, which is much classier than the transparent plastic manky earwax-filled case that I used to cart my ER20s around in. :blush:

The Alpines come with two sets of filters - silver for medium level protection, and gold for high-level protection. I'm not sure that I'm ever going to use the silver set, as the gold filters were perfect for a small room rock band rehearsal with bass, two guitars and a loud drummer, and I could still hear everyone well enough to chat between songs.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1445174869' post='2889268']
Go see a professional audiologist and get a hearing test in a sound proof booth with properly calibrated equipment.

I would recommend the expense of custom moulded plugs, I have some ACS ER26 which is the strongest removable filter, and normal conversation is quite possible when wearing them, they really do reduce the incoming volume enormously while retaining clarity and are much more comfortable to wear than generic foam or silicon mushroom plugs.
[/quote]this is the way to go

This is what I did several years ago - I played in one of essex's loudest cover bands, two guitarists using Mesa boogie dual recitifier rigs and a the loudest drummer ever using cracked cymbals.

You get used to the subdued sound.

As you get old you realise that it's all about preserving your assets and that includes your personal health and your body

Ironically my wife has tinnitus but I do not despite 8 years with the afore mentioned band

Preserve your hearing and avoid tinnitus

Edited by gareth

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1450288137' post='2931420']
You get used to the subdued sound.
[/quote]

I found it took me a couple of practice sessions to get the feel for the sound with plugs in but you do adjust. It's akin to if you have ever worn coloured sunglass lenses. To start with everything looks blue (for example) but soon you adjust to seeing it all looking 'normal' - found the same with the plugs.

Also, I actually find wearing plugs under my headphones while trying to transcribe bass parts often really helps. I have ones that filter more db from the higher frequencies (around -40bd at the top end and around -20bd at the lower I think) and it seems to me to work better than simply messing around with the EQ on the PC when it comes to drawing out the bass parts. At the same time it keeps me used to using the plugs and working with the EQ they provide.

Edited by Naetharu