Why become a member? ×

Uke bass tuning question

Ghost_Bass

Hello

I've posted a few weeks back that my band was thinking about doing a side project with mini-instruments, using a cajon, a guitalele and a uke bass.

I've found a portuguese luthier that is building uke basses at a very reasonable price (250€) and good quality:
http://apc-instruments.com/2013/index.php?route=product/category&path=103_62_179

Koa wood on the body, African Blackwood (?) on the fretboard, Aquila strings, custom designed preamp.

My question to you is about tuning. The guitalele tunes in ADGCEA. In order to make my life easier i would also like to have the uke bass tuned to ADGC. What yould you say it's the best option for this?

1. Tighten the strings to the desired tuning (will the neck take this?)

2. Replace the strings (get rid of E string and find a rubber C - does it even exists?)

3. Other that i'm completely missing.

Thanks for looking, cheers ;)

That is a very good price, but surely the luthier could give you the best answers to your questions?

Meanwhile, I don't see how tuning the u-bass ADGC actually makes your life easier. Keeping it in standard bass tuning while playing at and above the 5th fret would be a simpler, cheaper option.

Thank you guys for all the opinions and a special thanks to kodiakblair for trying to tune his uke to A.

I've sent a message to the luthier and i'm waiting for a reply, i'll post his reply here.

@ Happy Jack - I could play it with the standard tuning, just transposing the chords but if i could tune it in A it would be easier to play the songs i already know on the "normal bass" (when the guitarrist uses the guitalele most of the times he plays the songs tuned 2 and half steps up - yes, the singer can take it - like it was tuned in E, in a normal guitar). This is due to the size of the scale. Both the guitalele and the uke bass already have a short scale, if we were to play all songs above the 5th fret i don't think we could even fret a note - big fingers, small fret width - or make chords and make the theme sound properly. (don't know if i explained it properly, sory)

Lot's of food for thoughts here and i think that changing the tuning of the uke will prove to be very hard. I think it would be a better and easier idea to try and convince the guitarrist to restring the guitalele to E...

Cheers

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1445008918' post='2888162']
Just saw Aquila do a 5 string set E - B.
Maybe losing the E and tuning the B up to C would work for Ghost_Bass.
[/quote]

I'm sure Aquila or Pacahoe (?) do 5-string sets for Kala U-Subs which would be B-G, so just omitting the G string and tuning the rest a tone down would probably work.