Why become a member? ×

Songs that are great fun to play

xgsjx

What songs do you find great fun to play?

Doesn't matter if you play it in a band or just on your own, just as long as you find it gives you satisfaction & a smile.

Two that I love playing along to are Wynona's Big Brown Beaver by Primus & Hit Me by The Blockheads (the latter probably enjoyed by most on BC. I'd never payed attention to it until I joined here).

I don't think I could hold Hit Me in a band as the BPM is just that wee bit out of my reach to keep consistent, but Wynona's BBB I would love to play with a band.

I also like playing a solo arrangement I made of Fur Elise, but that never gets played outside home or rehearsal room.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1444996653' post='2887980']
1) Sous le ciel de Paris. It's an old Piaf number but there's a modern Latin feel version by Zaz that absolutely makes me grin each time I play this on acoustic guitar.

2) Ya mo be there (on bass) I guess it's just the groove on this one.
[/quote]
That's a very similar bassline to I Can't Go For That, which is another song I enjoy playing. :)

I was thinking about this last night. I was rehearsing with a blues trio and we do a couple of tunes with the most basic root note pulse. I remember hating these kinds of lines when I was first playing rock music as a teen. Boring and predictable, uninspiring etc etc. Now, whenever I play in a rock/blues setting and have to play a straight, root-note shuffle, it's the [i]best [/i]feeling. The truth was, when I was seventeen, I THOUGHT I could play this groove but I couldn't. Last night, it was suggested that I was the man who put the Rob in throb :lol: I also find that ,. whereas I used to break up walking lines with all sorts of rhythmic jiggery and pokery, I am now content to stay on the quarter notes like Paul Chambers did. It is where the groove is.

My position now is that, if you don't enjoy the basic grooves like a shuffle or a 4:4 walking line, it's because you aren't nailing it ;)

+1 to that Bilbo! My band plays a version of Stateboro' Blues where I play a root note with just one bar of walking every 4th bar and boy does it make the song pulse along nicely!

As for the OP, one of my favourites, again hugely simple is The Weight, playing it somewhere between The Band and the Staple Singers.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1444997925' post='2888004']
My position now is that, if you don't enjoy the basic grooves like a shuffle or a 4:4 walking line, it's because you aren't nailing it ;)
[/quote]

This too. Mind you, I do enjoy that stuff, but I couldn't believe how difficult a root note shuffle could be to get right. I'm pretty sure I ain't nailing it yet!

Edited by Gottastopbuyinggear

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1445104123' post='2888857']
My fave to play with the band is 'I Want Your Love' by Chic, Not complex at all but as Bilbo mentions in his post.... it's about getting the groove. Harder than you think.
[/quote]

Yep. Very hypnotic. The guitar part even more so.

Aretha Franklin's Think, the Blues Brothers version has been doing it for me today. Bounces along really nicely
and I've been having so much fun with it.
Tailfeather and She Caught the Katy as well actually, been having a bit of a Blues Brothers day, so much great bass
and so much fun to play :lol:

Don't Stop Til You Get Enough - Jackson 5

Loads of lovely fills that you can stretch out on and a groove that tests anyone's ability to play behind the beat.

There are quite a few Stevie Wonder songs that have lovely unison fills too - Do I Do, Superstition, Master Blaster etc. Very satisfying to play.