Why become a member? ×

Equivalent for Trace Elliot 300W head?

scrumpymike

Can anybody advise what head (pref used) would be a good backup for my TE AH300-SMC? I love the Trace (really sweet with the pre-set on and a touch of compression) and have used nothing else after buying it second-hand 6 years ago. I had it repaired/serviced/checked by EMS as it developed a noisy volume pot but it's been totally reliable since then. It's just that I'm starting to feel the need for an insurance policy! I play a selection of short-scale basses in a covers/functions band and run the Trace through a TE compact 15" cab and a same-size Ashdown 2 x 10". Btw I've ruled out an Ashdown MAG300 after reading bad reviews regarding build quality.

I still love my AH250SMX, but felt the need for a little extra 'something' without losing that Trace clarity. Started off looking a little higher up the TE range, but they don't seem to be either around much or that well reputed since they left these shores.
Ended up settling on a GK Fusion 550 from Phill at Bassgear of Twyford.. totally blown away with it, in fact it's become my main amp with the SMX now being the backup! :D

If you want something small (i.e. class D) to take gigging I'd recommend the Genz Benz Streamliner. Warm, fat tone and plenty of poke. Seem to sell for silly cheap money as well and the only reliability issue I've heard of is the blue LED lights packing up. I've never had this or any other problem with mine.

I've recently gone back to a Trace head - RAH-300-12 SMX - after some years of using Class Ds. Tone is very subjective - some people hate them, some love them! But, like you, I find that pushing in the pre-shape does everything I want a bass amp to do.

The amp I have kept as back up (right up until I can get another Trace head that is similar) is a TC Electronic RH750. To my ears it sounds the closest to the Trace sound of the amps I have tried (GenzBenz Streamliner, Markbass Tube 800) and also it is nearly as loud. Doesn't make me smile in the same way, though.

I'd be interested to try an Orange Terror Bass as a direct comparison but haven't got one yet.

I'm in a very similar boat. Old Trace Elliot 1225 combo, awesome in it's day, now too heavy for aging frame.

Upto now I've tried an Orange Ob1 through an Orange 2x12 cab. No punch at all, very disappointing as I really fancied one.

A Markbass 2x10 combo. This was going in the right direction, punchy and tight, but something was missing.Maybe a bit of warmth.

And finally an Abm 500 evo iii through an Ashdown Neo 1x15... It sounded awesome. Not how I remember Ashdown from several years ago. This was great, tight and punchy with a bit of grind. I was using some sort of Fender Precision, first one I've ever played
no idea which model but it retailed £700 ish and was pretty good. I'm going back with my Yamaha BB3000 to give the Ashdown another go... was it really that good, I've got a feeling it was.

I'd suggest trying one, you don't have to buy it. But you may come away surprised.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1444992705' post='2887916']
I've recently gone back to a Trace head - RAH-300-12 SMX - after some years of using Class Ds. Tone is very subjective - some people hate them, some love them! But, like you, I find that pushing in the pre-shape does everything I want a bass amp to do.

The amp I have kept as back up (right up until I can get another Trace head that is similar) is a TC Electronic RH750. To my ears it sounds the closest to the Trace sound of the amps I have tried (GenzBenz Streamliner, Markbass Tube 800) and also it is nearly as loud. Doesn't make me smile in the same way, though.

I'd be interested to try an Orange Terror Bass as a direct comparison but haven't got one yet.
[/quote]

Paul, just had a look at the TC Electronic stuff - very interesting, especially the features: 3-button memory, on-board tuner etc. Trouble is that 750 Watts is too much for my cabs (2 x 10 at 250W and 1 x 15 at 300W, both 8ohm). The RH450 might be better for me - any idea whether it sounds generically the same as its bigger brother?

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1445182804' post='2889361']
Paul, just had a look at the TC Electronic stuff - very interesting, especially the features: 3-button memory, on-board tuner etc. Trouble is that 750 Watts is too much for my cabs (2 x 10 at 250W and 1 x 15 at 300W, both 8ohm). The RH450 might be better for me - any idea whether it sounds generically the same as its bigger brother?
[/quote]

Just back from a few days away, sorry for the delay. I've had both a Classic 450 and the RH 750 and tone-wise they sounded identical to me - I htink the difference is in the bells and whistles. I don't know how the maths pans out but in the context of the band, to me, 750 TC Electronic watts are about the same volume as 300 Trace Elliot watts.

Mmmmm - I like my TE is the best too but like the idea of a brand-new Eden for £269 with the warranty and reliability. Worst case would be buying something used and then having to spend money fixing it. That's what happened with the TE I have - mind you, it's been perfect ever since!!

As others have said, if you like the sound you get already I'd be tempted just to get a 2nd TE if i were in your shoes. If however you fancy sonething that can be kept as spare, without taking up to much space, then sone of the wee micro amps would do . I use a markbass backline. sounds good to my ears, plenty loud enough for most gigs.It'll sound different to your TE, but not necessarily worse. Cheap too.

Edited by lefrash

• 1 month later...

Just to close this loop, I held out and was recently lucky enough to find on this forum a nice used example of the TE 300SMC I already have. So now I've got 2 of the best and I'm a happy bass bunny!! Glad I listened to the guys on here who said that's what I should do :D

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1449653418' post='2925502']
Just to close this loop, I held out and was recently lucky enough to find on this forum a nice used example of the TE 300SMC I already have. So now I've got 2 of the best and I'm a happy bass bunny!! Glad I listened to the guys on here who said that's what I should do :D
[/quote]
And that is the perfect result, nice one.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have one of the old heavy AH250 GP12 with ultra violet light which had a lovely warm sound but it let it me down one night when it got too hot. Luckily I had an old AH100 as back up. I replaced the AH 250 with a carpet covered AH300 GP 7 which I use straight with no EQ or pre-set on and love the sound and having now some 2 years is proving to be a solid reliable workhorse. However the AH 100 is a heavy amp to cart around purely as backup and therefore I have now have a TC Electronic BH 250 which being a D class is much lighter to carry around. Not as good as good as the TE but will get me out of a pickle if need be and similar tone.

The TC Electronic stuff seems pretty good by all accounts. Speaking of heavy old lumps, my first TE 300 replaced a TE AH500 (2 x 250W amps with stereo capability). That was a MONSTER with cool UV lighting, and I never thought I'd ever sell it!! Only got the 300 as cover when the 500 went in for overhaul but just fell in love with the sound and sold the big'un - certainly don't miss hauling it around.