Why become a member? ×

G&L L2000 Tribute

rasher80

Hello all!

I've decided I'd like to get myself a decent bass, one that can do an array of things well - it also has to be a lefty!!

I don't gig anymore but would still like a well made instrument that I can keep for the forseeable future.

I've seen lots of love for the G&L L2000 Tribute and this is a bass that is seriously interesting me.

Anybody on the forum own or have experience with one of these?

Any feedback welcome!

Ta

Tribute L-2000 is a great bass. Things to watch out for - has a chunky neck, if you like that sort of thing - wide AND deep profile. The EQ is passive, cut only. The "active" setting is merely a line boost, there is a "active with treble boost" option which brightens the sound. I always used mine in passive mode and didn't worry about it. Heaps of settings even in stock wiring, you've got pickup selector and series/parallel. I got mine rewired to give a third option - single (inner) coils.

Any I've encountered are well screwed together with decent fret work and solid hardware.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444911332' post='2887226']
I had one for a while and thought it was an excellent bass. Good fit and finish, well ballanced, P bass like playability and a wide selection of tones available... nothing to dislike really :)
[/quote]

100% agree with this. I did have to replace the pots on mine after a couple of years though.

Thanks for the comments, they truly sound exceptional basses for the price, even the lefty which has a slightly higher price than the right handed versions.

I've had Precisions and a Rick 4004L so i'm used to a more chunky neck which is a good thing i guess.

I have had mine for a few years now. Love it. It has a great neck on it and everything is bolted together well. Fit and finish is generally very good. I play in a loud band with three guitars and a heavy drummer and it cuts through well, even with my Streamliner when the amp is set to a valvey tone.

Only negative for me is that the pots do crackle a bit if I haven't played it for a while. Electronics are the same as the U.S. version, though I suspect may have slightly less expensive pots. The wiring cavity is filled with a spaghetti like mess of wires.

Also, make sure you carry a spare battery, as when potential falls the bass starts to sound like a bunch of wasps in a biscuit tin pretty quickly, even in passive mode.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1444914168' post='2887266']
I have had mine for a few years now. Love it. It has a great neck on it and everything is bolted together well. Fit and finish is generally very good. I play in a loud band with three guitars and a heavy drummer and it cuts through well, even with my Streamliner when the amp is set to a valvey tone.

Only negative for me is that the pots do crackle a bit if I haven't played it for a while. Electronics are the same as the U.S. version, though I suspect may have slightly less expensive pots. The wiring cavity is filled with a spaghetti like mess of wires.

Also, make sure you carry a spare battery, as when potential falls the bass starts to sound like a bunch of wasps in a biscuit tin pretty quickly, even in passive mode.
[/quote]

Or pull the battery out altogether and use the active switch as a kill switch ;)

I love mine. Go for it, you will not regret it.

And what neepheid said, pull the battery out for a cool killswitch effect. The active boost is a bit over the top because the MFD pickups are very hot, they sound massive without the boost, I found that with the boost I was rolling the volume down which defeats the purpose ...

One more thing about the pickups - because they're hot you need to either be gentle with your playing or lower them, especially the neck one, so you dont get an overdriven signal. This kind of pissed me off at first because I lowered the neck pick up and found I had no spot to rest my thumb on but got used to it fairly quickly.

It cuts through the mix beautifully, has a lot of character, it simply is a killer bass in a class of its own.

Here's mine
[URL=http://s40.photobucket.com/user/agcocco/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0406_zpsbopwd44r.jpg.html][IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/agcocco/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0406_zpsbopwd44r.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I love it! Through the 2x15 it sounds incredible.