Why become a member? ×

Show us your Harley Bentons

Che

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Funnily enough I just watched this yesterday, and in the blind test I much preferred the sound of the Harley to the Squire. 

On my phone I could barely distinguish them but I chose the right way round as the Harley seemed a bit 'rumblier'.

Is this odd given the Squier had more output - or what you'd expect given many of us like the sound of vintage pickups with lower output.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just became a proud owner of a lefty Harley Benton HB 414. Glad I waited for them to produce a lefty in my favourite finish. Plays well, but I’m definitely a Flatwound player, so I was wondering if anyone has swapped their strings for flatwounds and what brand did they use? Still getting my head around the extra long length requirement, as I know that’s needed. 

07A2FAD6-8C98-479B-8B3F-65E09A879AEA.jpeg

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
18 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Just arrived today. I'm no guitarist by any stretch of the imagination, but thought I'd treat myself.

20220414_152804.jpg

Snap!

I got this quite recently and I too am no guitarist. I can just about strum three chords but I plan on learning a fourth soon. 😂

For the money you can’t go wrong and it’s worth a punt just to mess about on. 

50226449-1D4B-4757-9FF0-6DA8C7FC8BE6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Velarian said:

Snap!

I got this quite recently and I too am no guitarist. I can just about strum three chords but I plan on learning a fourth soon. 😂

For the money you can’t go wrong and it’s worth a punt just to mess about on. 

50226449-1D4B-4757-9FF0-6DA8C7FC8BE6.jpeg

Nice one! I was amazed at the quality when it arrived. Obviously it's not going to be as good as a guitar costing four or five times more, but the neck is nice and smooth, the tuners work. The neck relief seemed o be spot on, as did the intonation. Action looks ok too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So... here is my modified HB - MB5... My aim was to try and create a unlined (almost) looking fretless 5 - plus I also wanted a bit of a project.

So, ripped the frets out, filled with a dark veneer, sanded flat and laquered the fingerboard. I was going to do an Epoxy coat but ran out of patience... plus I already had the lacquer from North West Guitars - although I forget this was a tinted one which is why the inlay dots look yellow!

Used a vinyl wrap on the headstock and added a MM SR5 decal. Added the same wrap to the scratchplate.

Routed out a battery box on the back and added a Warman MM5 pup with the Artec SE2a volume, blend and stacked treble and bass controls. Bit of a bugger to fit but did go in eventually! I am using the blend to select individual coils or both together in parallel - no series on this unfortunately but something I may try and add at a later date! 

As a fretless it play great - plenty of mwah. Not the most precise finish (I would have liked a better finish on the fretboard) but hey - it's strung with flats and even they soon start eating away at the finish. I like the active system, gives a lot more control than the VVT passive loom it came with and the Warman is a big improvement on the original pup for not much cash. Oh, and I also found a cheap set of chrome sire tuners I chucked on as well. Eventually, I will change the bridge to chrome and possibly the control plate but who knows. I see this as a long term mod! I like it though - some may not, some may prefer the stealth look but I like the white breaking up the matt black. I do wish I had used a non tinted lacquer though - maybe when it gets a bit work I will re-sand and re-finish.

HB1.thumb.jpg.40a09c3c418d83b007dff27a1f518ee3.jpg

HB2.jpg

HB3.jpg

• Like 3