Why become a member? ×

Super Fuzz!

GazWills

well, I've been after a killer Super Fuzz clone / varient for some time, then stumbled across a couple of bass demos for the SolidGold FX Formula 76. Sounds amazing... based on the Super Fuzz and the Ibanez Standard Fuzz!

add those demos to a 20% code for Prymaxe, and new fuzz is incoming :)

excite!

Edited by GazWills

this is the clip that sold me on it, as he is using a passive bass into an old fender amp (same setup I use):

[media]http://youtu.be/Yz6G0yTKv_Q[/media]

the excane demo's just don't work for me, as the clean bass tone is so far removed from what I use!

Edited by GazWills

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1444848520' post='2886723']
Yes ... Excane's demos are cool, but to my ears they tend to mostly sound the same, probably because of his particular bass/amp setup.
[/quote]

Once your at a gig and you have these Fuzz, Distortion or Over drive pedals engaged, they never sound or work like they do in the demo.

Blue

Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1444883108' post='2886925']

Once your at a gig and you have these Fuzz, Distortion or Over drive pedals engaged, they never sound or work like they do in the demo.

Blue
[/quote]

True, but if you have tried a few you may at least get some feel for how the demos translate to real life. You can hear the overall character, is the drive character smooth or sputtery, does it sound scooped or does it have a harsh mid bump. It is somewhat random though since it also depends on what other gear was used for a demo, compared with what you have. Say there is a passive P bass and no tweeter in the cabs in the demo whereas I use an active J bass and full range cabinet, and the end result can be very different.

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1444891935' post='2886964']

True, but if you have tried a few you may at least get some feel for how the demos translate to real life. You can hear the overall character, is the drive character smooth or sputtery, does it sound scooped or does it have a harsh mid bump. It is somewhat random though since it also depends on what other gear was used for a demo, compared with what you have. Say there is a passive P bass and no tweeter in the cabs in the demo whereas I use an active J bass and full range cabinet, and the end result can be very different.
[/quote]

Well yeah, I mean even the dynamics of a room can throw off basses when say using single coil vs humbucker.

Blue

Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1444892199' post='2886965']

Well yeah, I mean even the dynamics of a room can throw off basses when say using single coil vs humbucker.

Blue
[/quote]
Absolutely, some rooms can be really difficult. A parametric EQ at the end of the effects chain is my recommendation for dealing with problems like room resonances and boomy stages.

Edited by FretNoMore

Yeah I've never had a fuzz sound exactly like the youtube demo. But, if I wanted a super fuzz, the 76 is probably what I'd get, if only for the paint job which looks like something from rollerball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqiIhKpGRxE

There's also the Maxon Air, Black Cat, Watson etc etc etc

You'll sit there playing MCA riffs all day.

if anyone's interested, the SolidGoldFX super fuzz (formula 76) is a real badass! in the mid scoop mode, the sound is even bassier than a tall font russian, and it totally nails that beastie boys gratitude tone. however, with a guitarist playing an SG into a 4x12 5 feet away from you, it gets totally swamped in the mix. but for using very sparingly with no guitars / chilled guitars, it sounds great.

for me, the real tones with this pedal are in the mid boost mode. it just screams, really cuts through, rather like a malekko diabolik. in fact, it does that weird harmonic thing when the notes decay, like a diabolik does. Playing high up the neck in this mode, especially playing chords, the upper octave sounds are really dominant. some real sounds in this thing. The tone control is relatively subtle, but the separate compression knob is a really cool idea, and can really change the sounds dramatically.

all in all, a cracking pedal!

Edited by GazWills