Why become a member? ×

Wal - Honestly, What's The Fuss?!?!?!

DavidMcKay

Had a fair few high quality basses in my time. Filter preamps have their own thing going. I think you could get a reasonable facsimile of Wal pickups from, say, Armstrong? And afaik some people on this very forum have gone for wal-like ACGs?

But no, nothing I've had or played has totally nailed the Wal tone. You want that tone, you need a Wal?

Altho lots of Flea stuff was recorded on his Alembic Epic and Spector NS2. But what I want is Geddy's tone on Show of Hands anyways. And the ergonomics or intonation -- of the Wals I used to own -- aren't really comparable to MTD or Skjold and such.

Edited by nobody's prefect

[quote name='nobody's prefect' timestamp='1445379902' post='2891145']
Had a fair few high quality basses in my time. Filter preamps have their own thing going. I think you could get a reasonable facsimile of Wal pickups from, say, Armstrong? And afaik some people on this very forum have gone for wal-like ACGs
[/quote]

I've got one if the "Wal-like ACGs". The Multi-coils pickups on them are excellent. Mega responsive and can get a pretty damn close "Wal tone". Saying that it's not a one trick pony which I think people seem to think of Wals.

Can't think of a musical setting where the ACG would be out of place.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1444818540' post='2886288']

...That distinctive and and rich growl is something I can mentally recall to this day. It was thoroughly inappropriate for 90% of the material he was playing, but it was one hell of a tone...

That 'All Growl' tone would be very useful as part of a toolbox of basses but, even as a player by trade, the cost would outweigh the benefits for me...

[/quote]

Imported from an entirely different thread but it seemed aposite over here too...

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1445421669' post='2891294']
I am doing a Rock Blues gig with a Wal fretless next Tuesday that is going out live on local radio. The drummer is Brendan O'Neill, ex-Rory Gallagher, and it's going to be 'kin loud :lol: Anyone who thinks Wal's are one trick ponies is a eejit. Mine has done Jazz, Latin, Rock, Funk, Blues, Pop, Big Band, pit orchestra work live, studio etc etc. I have never had a negtative comment and have had plenty of positive ones. Wals deliver. End of.
[/quote]

Yes, that's another strange Wal bass urban myth that you hear lots. "Well, Wals great for that growl thing they do but I wouldn't want that sound all the time and they're a bit of a one trick pony." Inexplicable.

Well, of course I can dial up a Wal growl tone on my Mk1 (and I find that the real growl seems to reside more in left hand technique than anywhere else) but they're so much more versatile than that. However, I've never found a situation where I couldn't dial in a sympathetic or appropriate tone. The covers band I used to play in covers a wide range of styles from Britpop to Motown, Beatles to Laurel Canyon singer songwriter, rock to easy listening, rock and roll to white reggae. With the Wal filter based controls I never had a problem finding a perfect sound for each song. The changes in tone derived from a whole mix of different factors - pickup blend and tone settings, how hard I attached the strings, plucking over the bridge pickup or neck pickup or over the end of the fingerboard.

I recall one wedding gig where for the first two sets I had noticed a late teenage boy watching my playing very intently. After the second set he came over, said he was a bass player and asked what those effects pedals that I was using to get all those different sounds were. I looked down at my feet... They were a Boss TU2 tuner and a Lehle 3@1 which I was using to switch between basses. That's it. All the tonal shifts were from altering pickup choice, tone settings and playing technique.

If you listen to a range of Wal players they achieve a huge range of tones. Laurence Cottle on the album Gaudi (Alan Parsons Project) sounds smooth and round and, while still retaining a certain Walness is a gazillion miles away from Flea's BSSM tone or Geddy's Power Windows sound. If there is one thing that a Wal is not, it's a tonal one trick pony...

Edited by TrevorR

They've always looked home-made to me too. And I've always hated the shape of the ? Mark 1 (the one with the short horns). The later one with the longer horns looks better, but I still don't like the over/under headstock. If I had the huge amount of money they cost, I wouldn't spend it on a WAL, but each to their own.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1444760694' post='2885746']
Loved my Wal - bought it new if 1986 for £750, sold it because I was an idiot.

Aesthetically not for everyone, but the best sounding bass i ever owned in 36 yrs of playing :blush:
[/quote]

Exactly what I would have posted, right down to the year and Scotland too. Especially the idiot part. Except mine was second hand :D

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever played a Wal? If you haven't then you have nothing to say. I used to own one. They are exceptionally well built, beautifully made, and a deep rounded sound. I had a fretless it was sweet and no I didn't sound much like Mick Karn as I am not him but it did sound wonderful.criticisms are they are very heavy at least mine was, and a pain to play for a long time standing up. No other criticisms, they are very high quality and quality costs.

I think you seem to not like the fact that Wal have a kind of aura around them that's somehow unjustified. Sorry but it is justified they are amazing instruments in the same way a minimoog is.

They are legend. Deal with it. Are they worth the money? They are worth what people are prepared to pay and people vote with thier ears.

A good rant, but you're passing in the wind, Wal are the dogs...regret selling mine. Getting a ACG which I hope will sound as sweet

What a brilliant coup this thread is - your mum would be proud :)

7 pages to discover that a particular bass is liked and not liked. Something which could be said about every bass made, from a £40 Chase Guvnor * ( yes i owned one ! see Bee low ) to a £5k Ritter bootick slab.

Of course, you have to pick the right bass to conjur up such a thread. 10/10 for that. A rollercoaster of a chit chat and should be out in paperback very soon

Talking of real estate going spare, check this baby

* The offending Chase. PS i made money on this, seriously. About £15

[url=http://postimage.org/][/url]