Why become a member? ×

Wal - Honestly, What's The Fuss?!?!?!

DavidMcKay

You know, I wondered whether or not to weigh in to this discussion substantively but then I realised that from the tone of the OP comments that it's basically a futile waste of time. Imsuspect that there's unlikely to be any discourse or discussion.

So my only substantive contribution... Each to their own, if you are as content in your Wal free world as I am on my Wal ridden one then we're both happy and content and long may it stay so.

You don't like the look of Wals? Cool, aesthetics (and even ergonomics to a degree) are a personal thing. Never played a P bass, a Ricky, a 4 string Stingray or a Warwick neck that I liked the feel of in my hand. The oval bridges on Laklands just look silly and out of place to me. I don't like Gibson basses full stop for a load of reasons. My right, my prerogative and no reflection whatsoever on the tastes and preferences for those for whom those basses do tick all the boxes.

So that's my only contribution but I suppose I will pop in from time to time to see how silly the thread has got... Au revior to this thread.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1444764849' post='2885824']
... and this is [i]that [/i]much nicer..? Explain. :unsure:

[url="http://imgur.com/R3UHXFQ"][/url]
[/quote]

Not for me...

Played a couple of Wals... sounded balanced but wouldn't/couldn't buy it.

Oh well....

I would put the ACG posted above in exactly the same category as the Wal posted above, hand-built, boutique basses. The spec is different because different people ordered them.
I wouldn't touch either of them but I wouldn't start a thread centered around the fact that not many people complain about the brands.
Go practice the bass people lol

Si

The Mick Karn rant... !!!!! That is why he is so rated... he was unique. So he sounded like Mick Karn on everything he did?
HELLO!
If a 'supergroup' asked him to be part of a project,,, I think it is because they wanted a Mick Karn vibe. Otherwise there are plenty of the bassist who sound like..
each other.

As a 30 year Wal man, my only contribution is to say I had mine set up once when I bought it and again 15 years later. I put it in the case in tune and it comes out of the case in tune. No idea where the neck dive comments come from; I have not experienced it. Heavy? Never been a problem. Sound? It sounds like me (odd that). It is a solid, reliable, professional instrument that hasn't ever let me down.

Would I play anything else? Of course I would. It's just a bass not a wife.

As for looks, there is no consensus. Never was, never will be. Oh and it's worth 4x what I bought it for new. I really don't give a rat's arse what anyone else thinks of it. It has served me well.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1444758186' post='2885710']Trollolololol.[/quote]
Naah, could be a Vox.........

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juJpyUkHPCA[/media]

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1444760576' post='2885744']
This thread might even reach the realms of a Stick in the Backer thread.[/quote]
Given enough Tim, all things are possible here.

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1444765853' post='2885849']
Spot the difference....
[/quote]

Ooooh! Ooooh! Ooooh! I know this one...

One's a bass guitar and the other's a table! That's it isn't it? Isn't it? :)

Is there a prize for getting this right?

I do hope there's a prize... I like [s]presents[/s] prizes...

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1444767291' post='2885875']
Ooooh! Ooooh! Ooooh! I know this one...

One's a bass guitar and the other's a table!

Is there a prize for getting this right? I do hope there's a prize...
[/quote]

Ah - but which is which?!?! That's the hard part.

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1444767350' post='2885878']
Ah - but which is which?!?! That's the hard part.
[/quote]

No fair! :angry:

That wasn't part of the question. If it had been it would have said 'which is which?' and it didn't. I went back and checked it and it doesn't. You can't change the answer after somebody's got it right! What kind of a quiz is that!!!

Honestly... some people just shouldn't be allowed to run quizzes! :sad:

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1444768126' post='2885893']
OK leftybassman392 - you are right. I changed the goalposts. You get first prize.

First prize = a Wal bass.

Second prize = two Wal basses!
[/quote]

Done! I'll PM you my address for posting.

[spoiler]
Whaddya know? Moaning a lot actually works. I might try it again sometime...
[/spoiler]