Why become a member? ×

Wal - Honestly, What's The Fuss?!?!?!

DavidMcKay

I've played a few wals, never owned one, and never gigged one. But the wals I played felt great and sounded great. Would I buy one? Yes, if I had the money. It's not a burning desire but a curiosity.

Each to their own though.

Dave, what would you say is a bass with a great tone then? Just so we can see where you are coming from.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1444761461' post='2885754']
I think he may have said they looked like they were dipped in Marmite.
[/quote]

Hahahahahahaha yep :P

(Edit...He says cuprinol...

...about as tasty as marmite IMHO ;) )

Edited by andydye

I quite enjoyed the Wal I tried in what would become PMT Manchester. The electrics were all funny and sweepy but sounded good. A bit like when I try Alembics I end up with a god-awful tone.

As a point of note, Geddy Lee achieved his worst tone ever during his Wal days. Very flappy. Mick Karn and Percy Jones sounded good on them.

So in conclusion, beauty is in the eye... I think you get the same sort of manic fan base for any rarefied bass - Alembic, Status, etc. It's not the sole preserve of Wals.

I bought one early 80's and cost £740 Flame Sycamore lined fretless.
Loved the playability, tone and the look.
Down side was it had a dead spot on G string around the Eb and the response i got from them was it couldn't be their issue and weren't overly keen to sort it out.
That's when they were hugely popular so maybe i wasn't important enough for them to take it seriously. Sold it within a year and bought a Fender Jazz.

Would have to admit i've always thought they had a unique clean mid punch sound that i've always liked but just wouldn't buy another now.
Think there are many just as good if not better basses on market now like my Overwater and al a lot cheaper too.

Dave

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1444758211' post='2885711']
I have never heard a bad word about or against Wal basses - and that makes me ultra suspicious!
[/quote]

The black finish on my Pro IIE was a bit flaky. I (hugely regrettably) sold mine during my mega sabbatical, but I don't remember them being particularly heavy. But then my previous bass was an Ibanez roadster - ouch!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1444764246' post='2885805']
[url="https://flic.kr/p/fhJnhd"][/url]

My 9lb 6oz of Wal loveliness. No neck dive, no neck twist and I happen to think it's a loverly bit of wood :rolleyes:

This will be my one and only contribution to this thread. :)
[/quote]

Thanks Gary

If I ever buy it I will make sure and order 4 sturdy legs from Ikea so that my tea doesn't tip over!

Kind regards!

Mac

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1444764246' post='2885805']
[url="https://flic.kr/p/fhJnhd"][/url]

My 9lb 6oz of Wal loveliness. No neck dive, no neck twist and I happen to think it's a loverly bit of wood :rolleyes:

This will be my one and only contribution to this thread. :)
[/quote]

Oh - and have you ever thought about renting that space out between the p'up and neck for advertising!

Seriously though - I will admit it is looking fine. But no more than that!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1444764849' post='2885824']
... and this is [i]that [/i]much nicer..? Explain. :unsure:

[url="http://imgur.com/R3UHXFQ"][/url]
[/quote]

Clean, lean and organic. Understated and fluid. Projects forward.

Doesn't look like it was made in Strangeways and doesn't look like a table with a big slice of veneer on top.

Kind regards!

Mac

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1444764564' post='2885815']
Oh - and have you ever thought about renting that space out between the p'up and neck for advertising!

Seriously though - I will admit it is looking fine. But no more than that!
[/quote]
Please PM me if you ever think of selling that :)