Why become a member? ×

What gear do you REALLY need?

ChunkyMunky

It depends.

That's a reasonable question, but too many variables and (for some of us) an unrealistic budget. £350 for everything I'd need for a 'proper' gig with a pub rock band would simply mean I'd offer the gig to someone else.

On t'other hand, my Thomann Deko U-bass plus a cheap DI box to go through someone else's PA ... sorted for £120.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1444408356' post='2883089']
There are any number of places you could get a perfectly giggable bass for around £100 (a Harley Benton P Bass is less than that, new) And a s/h combo from here, Facebook or Ebay for a couple of hundred would give you change to get a lead, tuner and petrol money to the gig....
[/quote]

This

I would get a crowbar, boilersuit, balaclava and heavy duty washing up gloves. Then I would steal an old transit van and a car. Use the car to ramraid a music shop, lob as much gear as I could into the transit and then drive to secluded location where I left my car. Transfer goods and I am ready to rock.

Not that I have planned this at all..... :ph34r:

I love my tc electronic by250 208. After lugging 40 kg ampegs up stairs this is a sprightly 12 kg and sounds far better! Plus it comes with all the effects I'll ever need downloadable for free.
I'd happily shell out £225 again for another.

Earlier this year I got a Yamaha rbx4 a2 bass for £ 80 off eBay.
Fantastic bass, light, sleek, nice to play and sounds pretty good.
LED knobs for the win.

Enough spare for a gig bag!

£305, job done, happy camper.

Edited by ribbetingfrog

Depends if the venue has backline or not. I'm going to go with does have, as that's the norm in my gigging world. £350? Bass would probably be a second hand Yamaha BB414/424. OBBM leads x2, tuner pedal of some sort (second hand Boss TU-2 would do), gig bag. Job done.