Why become a member? ×

If Anyone Puts Down Gigging

blue

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1444393898' post='2882861']When I go home and make a delicious pizza for my dinner tonight I won't need someone else to taste it to get enjoyment from it. "Unless you're cooking in a restaurant then it doesn't count" is basically what some of you are saying and its bollocks.[/quote]

Good analogy :lol:

I think it’s safe to say that judging from this thread, nobody actually “puts down” gigging as suggested by the OP. Everyone seems to think it’s a truckload of fun, so a big [i]hoorah[/i] to that!

I personally don’t gig. I have a young family and a stupidly busy day job (self-employed), one of which I’d need to compromise significantly if I were to attempt gigging. So at the moment it’s off limits to me and I’m fine with that. It’s something I’ll explore a little later in life, once the kids are less feral.

However, I do produce music at home - and that gives me an important outlet to express myself. Of course it’s very different to playing live; in fact comparisons between the two are quite meaningless. Apples and pears. Yes, both are musical endeavours but the skill sets involved in each are quite different. I’d probably go to pieces if you put me on stage tonight. Equally, I image that if some if you were plonked in a studio and asked to produce a song it might turn out sounding poop. Each to their own.

I do miss the buzz of a live gig. But I’ve encountered new buzzes… having my work played on the radio, picked up by labels, blasted to a crowd of two thousand French clubbers. It’s great fun and very rewarding, just in a different way :)

Is it better or worse? That’s like asking whether I prefer ice cream or custard. Both are great and deliciously different.

[size=3][i][Although the answer is always custard, just for the record].[/i][/size]

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1444396232' post='2882898']You could say that playing at home with limited discipline and zero feedback from an audience is an easy outlet...?

Some people's material should never be let loose on an audience for sure...but then again, some people's playing should be
never be allowed either.. :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Another example of BC members passing off their own opinions as established fact. :rolleyes: And a little dig at other bass players and musicians too - nice! <_<

Sometimes my "discipline" at a gig is poor, and sometimes when I am practising at home I am very disciplined (if we are using the word in the same way). So I'm not sure what you're trying to say there... :blink:

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1444397070' post='2882911']Is it better or worse? That’s like asking whether I prefer ice cream or custard. Both are great and deliciously different.
[/quote]

Exactly. There are oysters and there are snails... ;)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1444397499' post='2882918']
Thank you.

I take it that it also means it is a computer?[/quote]
Probably
[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1444397499' post='2882918']
Sorry for being a pain again, but what does HTH mean?
[/quote]
Hope that Helps

HTH

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1444378632' post='2882650']

The easy way out of what? Music is a hobby to most people. The big difference here is that it's your one and only job so, you work to deliver the best you can so you don't lose that job.

Regarding your "skill set" remark, it takes a different skill set to be a brain surgeon as opposed to a nurse but maybe all the nurses didn't actually want to be brain surgeons and get more job satisfaction doing what they do. You appear to be under the impression that if others aren't as enthusiastic as you are about playing and gigging, then they're not taking the whole thing as seriously as you think they should.

I remember from a previous post that you used to work behind a desk in some sort of financial institution or something. A job you hated and couldn't cope with by your own admission so, you picked up a bass and now play in a band. Maybe in your old office they think you took the easy way out ;)
[/quote]

I don't think it's all that complicated or that one is better than the other. I'm saying a lot more work goes into gigging than playing at home alone. And then, it only my opinion.

Blue

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1444397029' post='2882910']
If I'd known what I do now when I was younger I'd have been gigging and getting experience much sooner, and would have saved all the time I wasted looking down on covers bands almost, and playing with originals bands that never got out of the 'writing, rehearsing and planning' phase.
[/quote]

I think this is another area of choice. I think there are guys that just love the aspect of playing original material and rehearsing.These guys are usually not concerned about gigging.

Blue

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1444378632' post='2882650']
I remember from a previous post that you used to work behind a desk in some sort of financial institution or something. A job you hated and couldn't cope with by your own admission so, you picked up a bass and now play in a band. Maybe in your old office they think you took the easy way out ;)[/quote]

Something like that. And they would be right. Doing something you enjoy and are passionate about is always going to be easier then work you can't stand.

Blue

Isn't playing a musical instrument just a hobby that it's entirely up to the person how far they want to take it. IE gigging or playing at home.
Would a photography forum criticise people who took photos just for their own pleasure and never show them to anyone else?

must admit I sort of admire people who haven't got that very human trait of seeking approval from others, mind you I'm not as bad as some people, at least I don't spend all my time posting on facebook, just on here :lol:

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1444400542' post='2882955']
I don't think it's all that complicated or that one is better than the other. I'm saying a lot more work goes into gigging than playing at home alone. And then, it only my opinion.

Blue
[/quote]

Really? You turn up at a gig, someone else has probably put the set list together. You rely on a drummer to provide the drumming, guitarists and vocalists to provide the guitaring and vocals etc etc etc yet if someone wants to do that at home, they are programming drum tracks, singing, playing or programming the bass, playing guitar or (and) keys and possibly even composing the track in the first place. Even if they purely play one instrument for pleasure, they may be putting in 8 hours a day to learn their craft.

Pity Mike Oldfield or Emmit Rhodes aren't here to explain how much work they put into their "easy way out" home recorded projects.

I agree with an earlier poster that maybe you need to change your name to Black & white :lol:

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1444385759' post='2882743']
Yes you are. I love the creative process of writing and recording, I always have. I have no illusions about making it (I haven't since my mid 20s), I simply enjoy it for what it is. I am looking at getting an original band together again at some point in the future, but even if that never happens, I will continue writing and recording for my own pleasure.
[/quote]

Very much so, I'm glad others feel the same way I do...in fact many of the musicians I know do this.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1444402158' post='2882984']
Something like that. And they would be right. Doing something you enjoy and are passionate about is always going to be easier then work you can't stand.

Blue
[/quote]
Nothing easy about doing what you love. You just enjoy it more, what's wrong with that? People are too hung up on what they were once told to open their minds and embrace a new idea. I hate my current day job, it's monotonous and boring. But when I leave and go home to practice/learn some new technique/theory/write/go to practice/go to gigs, life becomes better. I'm happier and the people around me are happy. If you are lucky enough to have a career/job that makes you happy, then lucky you indeed!

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1444397029' post='2882910']
Seen a few people knocking covers bands in this thread.

Theres nothing wrong with playing covers, and I'd recommend it to anyone starting out. although I wouldnt want to do it myself anymore.

I did it for a few years. Its a good grounding for anybody. Some people enjoy it, and are very very good at it - fair play to em, if you enjoy it, why not ?

If I'd known what I do now when I was younger I'd have been gigging and getting experience much sooner, and would have saved all the time I wasted looking down on covers bands almost, and playing with originals bands that never got out of the 'writing, rehearsing and planning' phase.
[/quote]

I joined two local cover/function bands from the age of 16-21...

Personally I thought my playing technically was up to it at that time... but I was young so maybe they had other ideas, but neither kicked me out :lol:
but I'm sure that that was the best thing I could have done and I definitely LEARNT a lot.
I took it for granted but later I realised that I was very fortunate to have that experience at such a young age.
I earnt good money for the time in one of them and played on a lot of decent bills.

So, my advice is to get out there as soon as possible and JFDI..!! :lol:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1444397672' post='2882921']
Another example of BC members passing off their own opinions as established fact. :rolleyes: And a little dig at other bass players and musicians too - nice!

[/quote]

There is no way that music is not a pursuit of excellence, IMO...so it is going to crop up A LOT...again IMO.

I don't know a single gigging musician that doesn't have an ego and that 'better' will always be in equation.

I never mind that myself..I know it's there and I know who has got it... it is what it is.
And again, like it or not, 'opinion' is there as well... as why are we all here....? :lol: and if you have a good opinion,
you'll know it is the driver in what you do.. and you'll know the value of it.
You'll also know how you stack up with your contempories...and you really should...as you are all after the same gigs..

Auditions ..?? same thing? you are asking someone to evaluate your playing, pretty much.

I

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1444397672' post='2882921']

Sometimes my "discipline" at a gig is poor, and sometimes when I am practising at home I am very disciplined (if we are using the word in the same way). So I'm not sure what you're trying to say there... :blink:

[/quote]

I mean if you play for yourself at home to only please yourself...it doesn't matter what your discipline is like... but when you play with other people or to other people you have to adhere to other people's parameters.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1444405585' post='2883040']
I mean if you play for yourself at home to only please yourself...it doesn't matter what your discipline is like... but when you play with other people or to other people you have to adhere to other people's parameters.
[/quote]

Surely anyone who works from home has to be disciplined otherwise they'd all lay in bed all day and get nothing done. I can't see that self discipline has anything to do with other people. You may have to conform or be flexible in some way but that's not the same.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1444404019' post='2883019']

Really? You turn up at a gig, someone else has probably put the set list together. You rely on a drummer to provide the drumming, guitarists and vocalists to provide the guitaring and vocals etc etc etc yet if someone wants to do that at home, they are programming drum tracks, singing, playing or programming the bass, playing guitar or (and) keys and possibly even composing the track in the first place. Even if they purely play one instrument for pleasure, they may be putting in 8 hours a day to learn their craft.

Pity Mike Oldfield or Emmit Rhodes aren't here to explain how much work they put into their "easy way out" home recorded projects.

I agree with an earlier poster that maybe you need to change your name to Black & white :lol:
[/quote]

I think there's a big difference from those involved in high level recording project and the " bedroom player ".

Blue

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1444409717' post='2883111']

Surely anyone who works from home has to be disciplined otherwise they'd all lay in bed all day and get nothing done. I can't see that self discipline has anything to do with other people. You may have to conform or be flexible in some way but that's not the same.[/quote]

Is working from home a good comparison to playing bass guitar at home.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1444422638' post='2883245']
Is working from home a good comparison to playing bass guitar at home.

Blue
[/quote]

My point was, that irrespective of what the "work" is, you don't only have to be playing live in order to put the work in. You seem to have this weird view that there is only one possible goal when being able to play an instrument, and that goal, must be to play live. You don't appear to understand that others may not have the same outlook as yourself.

I think it's all about what goes on in people's lives (I'm not suggesting that this really is the case but) in your life for example, your band may be the only thing you have going on at this point. You may not be in a relationship, you don't have another job, ergo, your main focus will be on your band life and gigging. For some people on this website, gigging will be the last thing on Earth that they'd ever want to do.

It's obvious that you're really passionate about what you do and that's brilliant but we're all different and we all take from music (and playing) just what we need to fill either a large, or very small gap in our lives.

Peace.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1444409717' post='2883111']
Surely anyone who works from home has to be disciplined otherwise they'd all lay in bed all day and get nothing done. I can't see that self discipline has anything to do with other people. You may have to conform or be flexible in some way but that's not the same.
[/quote]

wrong discipline