Why become a member? ×

If Anyone Puts Down Gigging

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1444341132' post='2882498']

I say, guys waiting for that perfect band with all the material you happen to like could be waiting a long time.

Most guys I know that are in gigging bands and making money had to make compromises on several levels.

For me, good musicians,good honest trustworthy band members,and a solid book of good paying gigs trumps material any day of the week.

Blue
[/quote]

Gigs don't pay enough for me to play material that would make me cringe. If all that's on offer is playing Sex on Fire etc, I'll go fishing.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1444344164' post='2882527']
Dude - you are getting old... :)
[/quote]

Man, did I walk into that one. Oh well, seeing that I'm well into what very well may be the longest dry spell of my life, wood shedding is the only game in my bedroom. Maybe I can break the spell this weekend.

Blue :D

Edited by blue

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1444344506' post='2882531']
Gigs don't pay enough for me to play material that would make me cringe. If all that's on offer is playing Sex on Fire etc, I'll go fishing.
[/quote]

Another thing about gigging, you don't have to play for low pay and you don't have to play material that makes you cringe. I don't. However, you do have to put the effort and research into finding the right gigging band for you.

I think a lot of guys join bands without giving a lot of thought into specifically what they want out of a band experience. Is it going to be easy to find the right gigging opportunity, "NO". This might be a topic we want to revisit in another thread.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1444344337' post='2882529']
Whats woodshedding ? Not a term I've heard before.
[/quote]

Really, that's sort of an issue in itself.

Wood Shedding refers to heavy duty practicing usually hours on end to get your chops up to speed or to maintain and manage your chops. Normally occurs in the basement or bedroom.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1444344193' post='2882528']
I enjoy your threads as they are thought provoking, however, to accuse a bedroom player as taking the easy way out comes across as if they are wrong. They are not, they may just have a differing view or ability to yours.

Personally, anyone (and I am not saying you do) who gigs for the applause comes across to me as being insecure, but that does not make it wrong or worse than someone who plays for their own enjoyment in a bedroom. Different strokes for different folks.

I like the idea of playing in a band, but I could not care a hoot if there is no audience or money in it.
[/quote]

You have touched on multiple issues here. OK, [i]"taking the easy way out"[/i] may have been a little harsh. But isn't sitting in your bedroom playing easier than dealing with all the issues the gigging bass guitarist has to deal with?

The appreciation of applause to fulfill insecurities. I think that's a far reach for most. I would think the insecure one might chose the bedroom over the stage.

Audience and money are the fruits of your effort. No shame for those of us that are compensated for our efforts just like any other field of work. No shame for those of us that did the crowd work to generate an audience for a product. Those that have no value for the audience or money is really a different kind of musician.

OK, this is where we do agree, "Different Strokes For Different Strokes". I agree, I don't clearly understand it, but I agree.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1444351006' post='2882558']

You have touched on multiple issues here. OK, [i]"taking the easy way out"[/i] may have been a little harsh. But isn't sitting in your bedroom playing easier than dealing with all the issues the gigging bass guitarist has to deal with?

[/quote]

Gigging bass guitarists who only play other people's songs have taken the easy way out compared to the home musician who is trying to compose his own music and master recording, IMO. Churning through a 12 bar blues or an AC/DC number is a piece of piss compared to the inner workings of a DAW.

I think you really need to change your name from Blue to Black or White,because that's how you seem to see every single topic ;-)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1444343646' post='2882522']
All I'm saying is playing in the bedroom is still taking the easy way out. Just because a guy doesn't care about the inconveniences of gigging doesn't change that.

Do your saying the skill set it takes to be a live gigging musician is the same as the bedroom player?

Blue
[/quote]

The easy way out of what? Music is a hobby to most people. The big difference here is that it's your one and only job so, you work to deliver the best you can so you don't lose that job.

Regarding your "skill set" remark, it takes a different skill set to be a brain surgeon as opposed to a nurse but maybe all the nurses didn't actually want to be brain surgeons and get more job satisfaction doing what they do. You appear to be under the impression that if others aren't as enthusiastic as you are about playing and gigging, then they're not taking the whole thing as seriously as you think they should.

I remember from a previous post that you used to work behind a desk in some sort of financial institution or something. A job you hated and couldn't cope with by your own admission so, you picked up a bass and now play in a band. Maybe in your old office they think you took the easy way out ;)

I used to work full time in manufacturing being paid good money to do something I really enjoyed for years on end.
However, the highlight of my life was playing as last band on at Oliver's Bar, Burnley Blues Festival on the Sunday night, 300 miles from home.
The crowd went ballistic, demanding encores and we came off late, knackered and floating eight miles high thinking we were in for some serious flack from the organizers only to be told that the week end headliner had invited us up to the main stage to see his set, Jack Daniels supplied. :o
We were only a part time gigging pub blues band that had been asked to fill a slot.
Yes, we were paid, not a lot, ran at a financial loss and treated the week end as a holiday but boy was it fun.
Couldn't have experienced that buzz and respect if I had just sat in my bedroom playing with myself, could I? :D

Edited by Jazzneck

"Different Strokes For Different Strokes". I agree, I don't clearly understand it, but I agree.
[/quote]

I think an explanation of British culture is called for here.
"Different strokes for different strokes" is a live thing. If someone's wood needs to be "shed" (now I've heard that one too), then they prefer to do it in front of an audience.
In the bedroom, however, it's "Different folks for different folks".
No stroking going on there.

Thought you might like to know.
;)

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1444283119' post='2881785']
Totally agree Blue, gigging is why I`m in a band. Yes I love rehearsing and recording, but gigging is the main thing for me. The whole buzz of it, driving to a new venue, seeing new audiences get into our music. Playing venues regularly and seeing the same faces at many gigs and chatting to them about the music plus making friends with them. I also love the solitude of a quiet drive home in the early hours.
[/quote]

Too many bedroom warriors that talk the talk, spend the dosh, but never go out and actually use the gear or talent they have.

Saying that, id love someone to persuade me that packing gear up at 2am, with a 2 1/2 hour drive to get home (after unloading the gear) is "fun" ;-)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1444381509' post='2882682']
Too many bedroom warriors that talk the talk, spend the dosh, but never go out and actually use the gear or talent they have.

Saying that, id love someone to persuade me that packing gear up at 2am, with a 2 1/2 hour drive to get home (after unloading the gear) is "fun" ;-)
[/quote]
The adrenaline and the craic is the fun.
The getting home is often a nice wind down. Personally I wont sleep till I have at least 3 or 4 hours to wind down. The only downside is if you have to drive yourself, so you cant drink. I miss getting pissed at/after gigs, when I was younger that was a big part of the fun.

Edited by Slipperydick

I get the point about never getting out of the bedroom.

We had a plan in our first band that we would be doing 'this' within 2 years, that within 4 etc etc ..
and I was in a function band at 16. The other guys never got out and played live, to my knowledge.
As far as I know, the most advanced and intense guy gave up completely within 4 years.
If I didn't have gigs to look forward to, I would as well..I'm pretty sure. I'd see no point putting in my
hour a day or so... I just don't want those gigs to drain me. When I get to thinking half was through
a set, 'when will this be over', or 'what am I even doing here'...they are MAJOR warning signals and you've
over cooked it, IMO.

This is why I want to know as much as possible what the gig is about and what it will give me.
If is often not enough to say X number of £'s at the end of the evening.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1444376059' post='2882612']
Gigging bass guitarists who only play other people's songs have taken the easy way out compared to the home musician who is trying to compose his own music and master recording, IMO. Churning through a 12 bar blues or an AC/DC number is a piece of piss compared to the inner workings of a DAW.
[/quote]

+1

I did the covers/function type band thing for a couple of years while I was at Uni in the 90s as an easy way of making some extra cash. It was for me, in terms of playing, a piece of piss (we did soul/funk type stuff - the hardest thing I had to play was probably Stevie's 'I Wish'...) It was occasionally fun, but I wouldn't want to do it for the rest of my life and in fact I haven't since.

I see loads of local musicians who are contemporaries of mine who used to write, record and play their own stuff, but now just do covers in pub bands. Personally, I see that as 'taking the easy option'.

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1444383348' post='2882700']
+1

I did the covers/function type band thing for a couple of years while I was at Uni in the 90s as an easy way of making some extra cash. It was for me, in terms of playing, a piece of piss (we did soul/funk type stuff - the hardest thing I had to play was probably Stevie's 'I Wish'...) It was occasionally fun, but I wouldn't want to do it for the rest of my life and in fact I haven't since.

I see loads of local musicians who are contemporaries of mine who used to write, record and play their own stuff, but now just do covers in pub bands. Personally, I see that as 'taking the easy option'.
[/quote]the reason you write and record your own compositions is the dream of 'making it' or at least someone else recording your work, I can't believe there's much satisfaction in writing and recording songs that no one else is going to hear,(maybe I'm wrong on that one) as you get on in years it slowly dawns on you that it's a young man's game and you've missed the boat,so, you either give up or start doing covers so you can keep gigging, I choose the later. A generalisation I know, but I've heard that scenario more than a few times, oh, I still write about one song a year, so I haven't given up completely, I bore people at open mics :-)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1444376059' post='2882612']

[/quote]
take it the step further.....sit at home in front of your DAW writing stuff.....take the recordings to band practice....get the rest of the band to play them....then gig them....

anything less is only doing half the job

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1444384898' post='2882717'] I can't believe there's much satisfaction in writing and recording songs that no one else is going to hear,[b](maybe I'm wrong on that one)[/b]
[/quote]

Yes you are. I love the creative process of writing and recording, I always have. I have no illusions about making it (I haven't since my mid 20s), I simply enjoy it for what it is. I am looking at getting an original band together again at some point in the future, but even if that never happens, I will continue writing and recording for my own pleasure.

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1444385759' post='2882743']
Yes you are. I love the creative process of writing and recording, I always have. I have no illusions about making it (I haven't since my mid 20s), I simply enjoy it for what it is. I am looking at getting an original band together again at some point in the future, but even if that never happens, I will continue writing and recording for my own pleasure.
[/quote]fair enough, but the fact you still have a dream of playing your songs with a band means you do want other people to hear your songs

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1444385993' post='2882747']
fair enough, but the fact you still have a dream of playing your songs with a band means you do want other people to hear your songs
[/quote]

Ultimately yes, but for me it's really more about the process of working with other musicians and developing those recorded ideas into performance pieces and hearing how they sound. If other people hear it (and possibly even enjoy it) then that's a bonus, but it's not essential.

The appreciation of applause to fulfill insecurities. I think that's a far reach for most. I would think the insecure one might chose the bedroom over the stage.

Blue
[/quote]

I am not disagreeing or agreeing with you, just saying there are different measurements for different people and to (what appears to) judge them on your own metrics is a little harsh.

Re the insecurities, many a stage performer is there for the adoration from the audience, just to feel good about themselves. It is not all about being shy.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1444385238' post='2882724']
take it the step further.....sit at home in front of your DAW writing stuff.....take the recordings to band practice....get the rest of the band to play them....then gig them....

anything less is only doing half the job
[/quote]

I completely disagree.

Look, I love gigging. Its great fun. But this "you have to gig or else you're not doing it properly" is nonsense.

Most of us knows someone who loves cooking, but we'd never dream of telling them that cooking for their own enjoyment isn't a valid way to spend their time. When I go home and make a delicious pizza for my dinner tonight I won't need someone else to taste it to get enjoyment from it. "Unless you're cooking in a restaurant then it doesn't count" is basically what some of you are saying and its bollocks.

Even though I choose which gigs...the whole point in my opinion is getting out there in front of people.
I don't think 'covers' is the easy way out either ...as you don't have to play by numbers ...and you really should be
putting your own stamp on it anyway.
You could say that playing at home with limited discipline and zero feedback from an audience is an easy outlet...?

Personally, I think you either play your songs well and they go down well or you don't...and the only criteria
for the songs you play should be that they stand on their own as worthy on being in a set.. be they covers or originals.

But also, every musician should have originality and the audience is your feedback..IMO
I never play covers note for note... I'm always trying to work the song and unless I wrote the actually song, that approach is
no different to how I record. The part is my part and fits with the other players as I see fit.

Some people's material should never be let loose on an audience for sure...but then again, some people's playing should be
never be allowed either.. :lol: :lol:

Seen a few people knocking covers bands in this thread.

Theres nothing wrong with playing covers, and I'd recommend it to anyone starting out. although I wouldnt want to do it myself anymore.

I did it for a few years. Its a good grounding for anybody. Some people enjoy it, and are very very good at it - fair play to em, if you enjoy it, why not ?

If I'd known what I do now when I was younger I'd have been gigging and getting experience much sooner, and would have saved all the time I wasted looking down on covers bands almost, and playing with originals bands that never got out of the 'writing, rehearsing and planning' phase.