Why become a member? ×

LONDON BASS GUITAR SHOW 2016

TheGreek

My moment of the weekend was a realisation during Michael Manring's performance. There's no way I can understand how he does what he does (or keeps track of those tunings...) so I sat back and just basked in the exquisite music he was producing.

it was my fourth time in a row. Had brief chats with some of you - Bluejay, NickD, SiBob, noticed Seashell, Lozz, Greek, BillyApple in the crowds but couldn't really talk anymore as throat infection mixed with trying to shout over the noise left me voiceless by 3pm on Sat. I loved Chowny basses, Peavey MiniMax amp, Dingwall D-bird, that Marleaux fretless, that Mayones fretless and much more! Fun as always.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1457904484' post='3002944']
I'm not so sure.. Did you buy it?
[/quote]

As you know I was tempted to buy the bolt on King Bass....which is exactly why I didn't want to go near the stand. Mark King signed the bottle though...I'll post photos tomorrow.

Whew! Finally got back to Bristol last night at 22:30 after another very long day at the London Bass Guitar Show.

It was great to see some bass chatters (both the lanyard wearing ones, and those that were incognito). It was amazing the positive feedback we received from pretty much everybody. Even those that thought it wasn't "their thing" still had nice things to say.

For those that came and tried one of our basses - Thanks. Hope you enjoyed the show. :)

Biggest thanks however goes to Basschatter "Romeo2" who volunteered to help me and covered the stand when I couldn't. Thanks a million dude!

Edited by Chownybass

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1457943684' post='3003109']
It was great to see some bass chatters (both the lanyard wearing ones, and those that were incognito). It was amazing the positive feedback we received from pretty much everybody. Even those that thought it wasn't "their thing" still had nice things to say.
[/quote]

I was one of the "incognito" ones even though I didn't say I was from basschat. I was really impressed with them as was my mate.

Whew! Finally got back to Bristol last night at 22:30 after another very long day at the London Bass Guitar Show.

For those that came and tried one of our basses - Thanks. Hope you enjoyed the show. :)

Biggest thanks however goes to Basschatter "Romeo2" who volunteered to help me and covered the stand when I couldn't. Thanks a million dude!
[/quote]
I was actually really surprised by the quality of your basses! Great "ploink" sound, just as I like it in a hollowbody bass.

[/quote]

I said hello (another Bristol bassist), although I didn't try the basses - we should have some sort of BassChat handshake, shouldn't we? If you need help in the future do PM me...always happy to help a bass player building a business.

I am very much an impulse buyer. I would have bought a Chowny bass if I could have taken one away on the day, but I have to wait 6 weeks for a left handed. I should have had a try on one, but I am always too nervous to try anything. The only person who has seen me play is my bass teacher.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1457956991' post='3003272']
I am very much an impulse buyer. I would have bought a Chowny bass if I could have taken one away on the day, but I have to wait 6 weeks for a left handed. I should have had a try on one, but I am always too nervous to try anything. The only person who has seen me play is my bass teacher.
[/quote]

Nobody there will judge your playing. In fact if anyone DOES, then they're a proper prick. Next time have a try and don't worry about it. People who turn up to these things to show off are dongs. Next time grab one of us and we'll back you up, mafia bodyguard-style.

As it happens they're a lot of fun to play and sound great, especially when you look at the price tag.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1457956991' post='3003272']
[/quote]

You should have had a go. :) You'd only have been on headphones anyway. And nobody would judge.

Sorry for the lack of lefty stock. They only account for about 5 to 10% of our sales, so until we grow a bit more, it doesn't really make it practical to hold stock. We're working on it though.

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1457959573' post='3003316']
You should have had a go. :) You'd only have been on headphones anyway. And nobody would judge.

Sorry for the lack of lefty stock. They only account for about 5 to 10% of our sales, so until we grow a bit more, it doesn't really make it practical to hold stock. We're working on it though.
[/quote]I understand the left handed stock, and feel lucky that you do have them in left hand, as most manufacturers don`t. Also, as I posted earlier, Manne wants £500 extra to make left handed, so the extra tenner? you quoted ain`t bad. I only bought the PJB Bighead because it looked neat, but I would never have bought it if I was at home.Funny how shows make you spend money that you wouldn`t normally, and now sat at home wondering why I did buy it. , I am also sat here wondering why I don`t have the confidence to have a go on anything.

Edited by timmo

Hey, timmo....do have a go, whenever you feel like it. A lot of us have been playing for a long time, and frankly should be better by now! I've seen some very well known pros play surprisingly badly over the years. Bassists are the most forgiving audience and are usually far more interested in your strings anyway. Having fun is what matters.