Why become a member? ×

LONDON BASS GUITAR SHOW 2016

TheGreek

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1457699783' post='3001061']
I'm on my way up to London today to setup the MSL stand if anybody needs a lift home on Sunday to the West Country I'm happy to come off anywhere on the m3/303...
[/quote]

If I could get up there Sunday I'd bite your hand off! I live in Exeter you see.

just buying the tickets. So the "advance" ticket is £5 cheaper than on the door, but then there is a service charge of £5.96 for me having to print it myself and for them not needing to hire a person behind the counter who would do it for me. Makes sense. Not a rant against LBGS, rather against the whole ticket selling industry, it happens pretty much every time I book anything online. What is that service charge exactly? Just some extra profit that conveniently isn't displayed until later on in the buying process?

Anyways, see you guys tomorrow (and Sunday).

edit: it also asks me about my date of birth, and it's selectable from a calendar, but dates from the second half of the month are not clickable. So I lied and made myself a couple of weeks older!

Edited by such

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1457718676' post='3001331']
Just reading on Dave Swift's Facebook page, calamity at the Promenade Music stand earlier, full wall of about 30 basses collapsed dropping everything to the floor. A number of basses damaged by his account!!
[/quote]

Maybe some discounted basses for sale this weekend then??

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1457724680' post='3001386']
I'm so stoked about this! Will be going tomorrow and I'm taking my dad for his birthday, who is a waaay better bass player than me. Do we have a Basschat stand this year?
[/quote]

Excellent birthday pressie for your Dad! :D
We won't have a Basschat corner this year, but there will be plenty of Basschatters at the show, both among the visitors and the exhibitors, so it's a matter of doing a bit of spot-the-BC-lanyard and saying hi to the wearer when you see one. :)

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1457701222' post='3001090']
If I could get up there Sunday I'd bite your hand off! I live in Exeter you see.
[/quote]

Well you should get up there then! I can get you most of the way home, I live near Honiton

Just back from the show - great to meet up with fellow BCers old and new. Some new faces to add to those I already knew.

For those who missed the show - my utmost pity. Mr Trujillo, Mass Mental and Mark King on stage together where absolutely phenomenal - you may be able to catch it on YT but it won't be the same as being there. Dave Swift's seminar was really entertaining and informative - those attending the Moffat Bash next week will be able to catch it (or something similar) there. I didn't catch Rhino, Suzy Quattro, Michael Manring or Federico Malaman but good things were said about all of their Live Stage contributions.

Fewer stalls than last year but those which were there made up for those who weren't. No Andy Baxter, Goodfellows or Bass Gear but the Status stand had some absolute beauties which I somehow managed to avoid buying. Somebody needs to arrest Alan from ACG after bringing along some more gorgeous basses which we've seen in photos but were even nicer in the timber.[i] How am I supposed to deal with my GAS and keep my money when he keeps tempting us with such fine examples of his craftsmanship...[/i] ;) ;)

Nick Smith on the Enfield stand kept us entertained as did George Anderson, formerly of Shakatak, with some fantastic bass playing - most inspirational even though we were restricted to 7 mins every hour due to them only being able to play during the 15 minute "quiet time" which they shared with the hot girl band playing on the Ernie Ball stand.

Andy from D'Addario was ever present and welcomed many of us with a smile and a handshake. I'm looking forward to trying out the NYXL 40s...

Met up with our own Billy Apple (Sean) and his new best mate, Stuart Spector, who, as it turns out, is a very friendly man as well as producing some beautifully crafted instruments. I managed to pick up their catalogue so I'll know what I'm looking at when I see Spector basses for sale here and elsewhere.

Finally got to meet Martin Herrick who custom builds some fantastic pick ups - a friend of mine bought a set a couple of years ago, fitted them to a bass which he subsequently sold and has been sold on the merits of those pick ups several times by friends of his, all of whom regret doing so. Hoping that Martin will be able to get some installed in some basses for the Herts Bash so that we can give them a go.

More hellos to Bluejay, SeaShell, Hamster, NickD, SiBob (hope everything goes well with the forthcoming birth of first child) and RichardD - nice to see you all.

Special thanks go to Dawn from Status who facilitated Mark King signing a 1902 bottle of King's Ale by the Bass company, which will be a raffle prize at the next Herts Bash.

Sorry to anybody I've missed or didn't meet up with.

Nice summary of the day, Mick. Robert Trujillo with Mass Mental and Mark King was the highlight of the day. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing!

Also, I was lucky enough to get chatting with Michael Mondesir, who was just wandering round like a normal punter. What a lovely, lovely man!

Was a very good day. Managed to keep the credit card in the wallet, though the combination of an Ashdown RM800 and ABM610 did tempt me greatly. The Mass Mental was very good, but for me the highlight was Suzi Quattro - her bass style is all about aggression and feel, so suited me plenty. I like to see players who, though maybe less technical, are about the feel and power of the notes/lines. Makes me feel like I`m not the only one :lol:

Only managed an hour in the morning before being whisked off to the London Eye by my son, so I think I only saw Dood, Hamster, Skelf and TomKent from these shores. Alan's basses were even more delightful this year than in previous years, thankfully Theo (mini Mert) was the perfect foil to me getting my credit card out ;)

[quote name='afterimage' timestamp='1457817205' post='3002116']

....would be nice to have a few more amp vendors there too
[/quote]

I was hoping for a Trace Elliot presence following my rekindled love affair with the brand and would have liked to have asked about future products like a lightweight Class D head. Shame that we lost a great British company when they were taken over by Peavey.

Speaking to Mark Vanderkley about his new 500w head/combo was interesting and as we know Mark is producing some great gear at the moment - look forward to seeing his new creations.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1457818178' post='3002129']

I was hoping for a Trace Elliot presence following my rekindled love affair with the brand and would have liked to have asked about future products like a lightweight Class D head. Shame that we lost a great British company when they were taken over by Peavey.

Speaking to Mark Vanderkley about his new 500w head/combo was interesting and as we know Mark is producing some great gear at the moment - look forward to seeing his new creations.
[/quote]

Did you look at the Ashdown Retroglide? That could be worth a poke if you want the Trace thing in a lightweight form :)