Why become a member? ×

LONDON BASS GUITAR SHOW 2016

TheGreek

Gutted I can't go this year. It's our yearly stocktake at Andertons Music so I must work that weekend. Just when I thought it finally did not land on my daughter's birthday!! Looking forward to the pictures and footage, there needs to be more video footage of the show. Enjoy it those who are going.

Pity you won't be able to make it this year, Mike. Last year the terms of my press pass didn't allow me to take any video footage; I'll see what I can do this time. Whatever I record will have to be checked by BGM, and perhaps the artists, before publication. There is footage of 2015 and probably also 2014 on the LBGS's official site, so here's hoping that 2016 will end up on there too, in due course.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1455194379' post='2976872']
I don't understand why Pino or Stuart Zenden aren't booked every year - they're both local..
[/quote]

It's not a matter of being local, it's more a matter of being invited in through endorsers or having something new to plug, such as a record, a film/documentary or a book.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1455724006' post='2981849']
And... just announced:

[b] LBGS to screen UK premiere of ‘Jaco’[/b]

[url="http://www.londonbassguitarshow.com/news-2/lbgs-to-screen-uk-premiere-of-jaco/"]http://www.londonbas...emiere-of-jaco/[/url]
[/quote]

Booked in!

Hi All. Longtime lurker on this topic but finally got myself a username. I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the weekend as a Christmas present - I hadn't realised this event existed before!

Can I ask a couple of questions -
How do the master classes normally work?
Is it ever possible to meet the bassists who are giving them (I'm thinking Trujillo!)

Thanks, and looking forward to becoming more involved on the forum.

Firstly, welcome...

Generally you have to queue for tickets to the masterclasses (about an hour before), then queue again to get into the actual class. You can meet the celebs - last year Mark King was at the Status and Rotosound stands afterwards. Loads of the celebs walk around - I bumped into Nate Watts the previous year and Doug Wimbish last year. Both very pleasant and prepared to stop and chat. I think most of the celebs are TBH - the event is quite low key so they're happy to mix and forget about egos.

You'll enjoy it.

To say a bit more about the master classes, they can vary a lot in format. I've seen Q and A sessions, demos of technique, performances of new or old material with a bit of chat in between, or occasionally more of an actual class on a specific topic ( eg Yolanda Charles on singing and playing together).
The queueing can be a bit of a drag, but you can have some interesting conversations while waiting!

And yes, you can meet them afterwards if that's part of their agenda. You have to queue again though! I queued for Peter Hook, but it was worth it. He was really nice.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1455970229' post='2984061']
Firstly, welcome...

Generally you have to queue for tickets to the masterclasses (about an hour before), then queue again to get into the actual class. You can meet the celebs - last year Mark King was at the Status and Rotosound stands afterwards. Loads of the celebs walk around - I bumped into Nate Watts the previous year and Doug Wimbish last year. Both very pleasant and prepared to stop and chat. I think most of the celebs are TBH - the event is quite low key so they're happy to mix and forget about egos.

You'll enjoy it.
[/quote]

Just to clarify - you don't need tickets at all for the masterclasses, only for the main stage performances. The main stage tickets are the ones you queue up for an hour before each performance, or they can be purchased for £5 at any point throughout the weekend if you want to guarantee a place - or avoid the queue!

We will be announcing meet and greets throughout the weekend so keep an eye on your emails and listen out for announcements!

Looking forward to seeing you all there :)

The LBGS Team

Posted on the Statii forum:

[b][color=#a52a2a][font=Verdana, Arial, Sans, sans-serif][size=3]*** Hot News ***[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Sans, sans-serif][size=3]Slipknot bass player Alex 'V-MAN' Venturella will be around our stand on Saturday at 1.00.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Sans, sans-serif][size=3]Bring your camera ![/size][/font][/color][/b]

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1456258486' post='2987226']
Posted on the Statii forum:

[b][color=#a52a2a][font=Verdana, Arial, Sans, sans-serif][size=3]*** Hot News ***[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Sans, sans-serif][size=3]Slipknot bass player Alex 'V-MAN' Venturella will be around our stand on Saturday at 1.00.[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Sans, sans-serif][size=3]Bring your camera ![/size][/font][/color][/b]
[/quote]

In case people didn't know, he's a Watford lad (or around that area anyway) and Slipknot are one of the biggest (American) metal bands in the world :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1456311600' post='2987604']

In case people didn't know, he's a Watford lad (or around that area anyway) and Slipknot are one of the biggest (American) metal bands in the world :)

Si
[/quote]

He's also the guitar/amp tech at Titan Studios Watford too I think. Pretty sure he serviced my amp.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1456320815' post='2987782']
He's also the guitar/amp tech at Titan Studios Watford too I think. Pretty sure he serviced my amp.
[/quote]

Yeah, him and Steve Sears were in Cry For Silence together.

Si

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1456333229' post='2987996']
Elaine & I will be on hand to answer any D'Addario related enquiries. Come and see us on stand D12 to try out NYXL Bass.
[/quote]

Had it in my head you guys weren't attending......the above is great news :)

Si

Elaine & I will be on hand to answer any D'Addario related enquiries. Come and see us on stand D12 to try out NYXL Bass.
[/quote]

We've got your NYXL bass string on our Chowny NT-J prototype that we will have at the show too - if that's of interest. :)

[/quote]

I'll be there and will make sure to say hello and "thank you" - only recently put the set of Chromes you gave me at one of the BC Bashes on my Yamaha BB (just had to source the B string as the bass is a fiver) and I'm totally hooked! Also, I won a set of tapewounds (and my usual Pro-Steels, which will have to wait as I was well stocked already) plus some merchandise in Wunjo's giveaway - put the nylons on my fretless, and again, I'm in love.

On another note,
Snarky Puppy's Michael League plays in Dublin on the 11th, then has two days off, and then at Ronnies 14-16th.... Would someone know what numbers to call to get him to the show?