Why become a member? ×

Silent practicing thingys...

TommyK

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1444207364' post='2881047']
I just treated myself to a Phil Jones Headphone amp. Covers all the requirements that you listed.
[/quote]

+1 Not the cheapest, but sounds GREAT.

[quote name='TKenrick' timestamp='1444208881' post='2881063']
I've been using the Vox Amplug for a while and think it's great - has an aux input if you want to practice with a metronome/backing tracks/whale noises. Also takes up very little room in a gig bag and is perfect for warming up before a gig. The newer ones are slightly better build quality than the original ones (I broke the first one I had fairly quickly).
[/quote]

+1, esp. the whale noises.

I just got one of these off of amazon for £21: [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BK3VA5U"]http://www.amazon.co...duct/B00BK3VA5U[/url] Its a nux PG2, its no POD certainly but then my headphones aren't sennheiser either! But its got approximations of everything my pedalboard does and it clips onto my bass strap... :D

EDIT: been mucking about with this all evening. Its really rather good - certainly for the price! I can get some nice basic bass tones out of it and it will also go full on Muse if i feel like it, and the amount of thud makes my headphones rattle.

Edited by operative451

I think everything mentioned so far has its merits but for me a laptop with an audio interface is the way to go. That way you can use software like "Transcribe" to your advantage when working out tracks.
I used to use a little mixer & run my phone or tablet thought it but the software available was very limited in terms of slowing down or looping sections.
Of course it's different strokes for different folks & you'll have to decide what appeals most to you or what fits in your budget.

[quote name='TKenrick' timestamp='1444208881' post='2881063']
I've been using the Vox Amplug for a while and think it's great - has an aux input if you want to practice with a metronome/backing tracks/whale noises. Also takes up very little room in a gig bag and is perfect for warming up before a gig. The newer ones are slightly better build quality than the original ones (I broke the first one I had fairly quickly).
[/quote]

I've got one of these, and I never thought to use it to warm up before a gig. What a great idea! (slaps head).

It would be great for jams and open mics as well. If someone says 'let's do such-and-such' tonight' you could plug it in and remind yourself how it goes. Or even get it up on YouTube and plug your phone into it for a quick run through.

Thanks for the tip.

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1444329290' post='2882347']
I just got one of these off of amazon for £21: [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BK3VA5U"]http://www.amazon.co...duct/B00BK3VA5U[/url] Its a nux PG2, its no POD certainly but then my headphones aren't sennheiser either! But its got approximations of everything my pedalboard does and it clips onto my bass strap... :D

EDIT: been mucking about with this all evening. Its really rather good - certainly for the price! I can get some nice basic bass tones out of it and it will also go full on Muse if i feel like it, and the amount of thud makes my headphones rattle.
[/quote]

Hrmm interesting, I've been using my zoom B3 multi effects unit for home practice, but but i'm considering getting a leave in place setup that I don't have to tear down 2 nights a week and that takes a line in as the zoom b3 will not.

on the nux website i spotted this as "new product"
http://www.nuxefx.com/product_detail.php?id=64&id1=40&id2=0

hopefully the price will be much the same once it hits amazon

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1444207364' post='2881047']
I just treated myself to a Phil Jones Headphone amp. Covers all the requirements that you listed.
[/quote]

They're a bit pricey but I've been thinking about getting one of these. Being PJB I would think the build quality is good.
Are you happy with it? Did you get it from Bass Direct?

[quote name='EricOnBass' timestamp='1444658558' post='2884828']
They're a bit pricey but I've been thinking about getting one of these. Being PJB I would think the build quality is good.
Are you happy with it? Did you get it from Bass Direct?
[/quote]

I think they are pricey but then the quality is good.

I didn't get it from Bass Direct as I bought it used.

Just to lob another option into the pot I'm going to mention the Ampeg SCR D.I./Pre-amp pedal

While on the more expensive end of the options here (circa £200 at the moment) they are pretty fantastic. I tried one out today and it's [b]very [/b]impressive as a headphone amp. I was able to directly compare it to an SVT-Pro going into a 4 x 10 SVT cab and the results were good. Obviously the headphones sound different than a live amp but it is very close tonally and by far the most impressive headphone amp I have yet to use.

Add that it also works as a full blown pre-amp and D.I. box for those non-headphone practice sessions / jams / gigs and the price tag looks very reasonable. Depends on what you are looking for in the end and what your budget is, but if you're after a more authentic bass tone then you could do a lot worse than one of these.

Im new to Bass and needed something for quiet headphone practice. Thanks to this forum I found this plugin called Emissary Amp by Ignite Amps and it rocks. It has 2 channels and both sound awesome.
You can read this thread and even download the other plugins they are all free and see which one suits your style;
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/270992-bass-plugins-for-reaper-daw/page__view__findpost__p__2884462

I bought a very cheap Behringer U-Phoria UM2 audio interface and Im very satisfied with it (for the price its awesome). Check Thomann.de thats where I've bought it.

Hello, bassfriends! Have a question. I've using zoom b1on, seinh's hd201 to play at nights on my Yamaha trbx174. The issue is that sound is little bit clunk and boomy. Like from a barrel. Not totaly, but nocible. I played with eq settings, compressor, bass pickups itself. But couldn't get more clear sound. Is that a problem of closed headphones? What can you advice to solve that problem.

...and another from me. This is designed for exactly your situation. The ability to slow down the MP3 is great when you're trying to learn something, as is the ability to create a short loop.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1444246349' post='2881606']
Another vote for the GB-10

[url="http://tascam.com/product/gb-10/"]http://tascam.com/product/gb-10/[/url]

I've used its predecessor, the MP-BT1, for years, and the CD-BT1 MkII CD-based one before that.
[/quote]

Another thing i had my eye on was one of these http://www.thomann.de/gb/hotone_nano_legacy_thunder_bass.htm Its a 5 watt mini bass head ... supposedly it will push 2X10 cab quite nicely ... but its got a very handy headphone jack

The reviews seem good and some of the you tube footage sounds good ... anyone tried one .... apparently when the headphones are connected it doesnt shut off the Jack out so you can run it to the front of house "padded " and to your on stage cab simultaneously

There's also the [sfx] unit [url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/h1/"]http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/h1/[/url] that I believe is very good for around £140. Personally I use a Tascam bass trainer thingy, got it second hand on here for not a lot of money and it has been excellent.

I've got an Ashdown tourbus combo, I think the 10 watt. It's got a simple eq, as well as both headphone out and aux in.

It doesn't sound bowel liquefying obviously, but it's perfectly fine and can make itself heard with an acoustic guitar and cajon. Critically, for the purposes of this thread, is that the headphone output is decent quality for silent practicing, and is easily volume matched to your aux input if you want to jam to tunes. It's also small enough to fit in a decent sized backpack; I've taken it as part of my carry on plane luggage several times!. It was pretty cheap too.

i like that it can function as several things, and a cheap tone shaper pedal (like a BDI21) is an easy improvement.

Also, finally, I am now GASing hard for a HoTone Nano amp. Thanks a bunch [b]synthaside[/b]!!

[quote name='ArasBekar' timestamp='1444748588' post='2885579']
Hello, bassfriends! Have a question. I've using zoom b1on,... The issue is that sound is little bit clunk and boomy. Like from a barrel. Not totaly, but nocible. I played with eq settings, compressor, bass pickups itself. But couldn't get more clear sound.
[/quote]

I experience d the same issue with my ZOOM B1on and returned it to Thomann after 10 days. I too have closed back AKG K-55 headphones but they sound superb on anything else I have. The Zoom B1on has that barrel-ish-not-totally-but-annoying boomy sound except on the Chordal and on De-fret effect which is kind of fretless bass sound and such sound suits it imo. But I didnt want a multi fx pedal to just have one sound choice.

Im sorry for not being able to give you a better advice.

If I'm using the pedalboard I'll use my DHA VT1 DI EQ, but if it's a 'bass only' practice session then I use a cheap Pocket Rock-it plug on thing. I've got a Chord thingy for guitar too (almost identical to the Pocket Rock-it) that doesn't sound as good on the bass, but will do for guitar practice.

[quote name='Che' timestamp='1444990318' post='2887875']
I experience d the same issue with my ZOOM B1on and returned it to Thomann after 10 days. I too have closed back AKG K-55 headphones but they sound superb on anything else I have. The Zoom B1on has that barrel-ish-not-totally-but-annoying boomy sound except on the Chordal and on De-fret effect which is kind of fretless bass sound and such sound suits it imo. But I didnt want a multi fx pedal to just have one sound choice.

Im sorry for not being able to give you a better advice.
[/quote]
Thanks mate! I was able to change things to better way by setting another strings. I had had semi-flat set and now i put regular round strings. And i get rid of, as you cool said, that barrel-ish-not-totally-but-annoying boomy sound

I use a Tascam GB-10 either on its own or plugged into a mixer, into which is also plugged the PC, a drum machine, and a Roland MIDI sound module, which then goes to a hi-fi amp and thence to bookshelf speakers or headphones. Someday I might actually use the drum machine and Roland MIDI sound module.