Why become a member? ×

Cort basses

Black Coffee

I got a cort A5 custom sp from bass direct for a great price. I've owned musician stingray, fender j, soundgear prestige and many others. And I have to say, the cort is on par with any of them. Playability, fretwork and Finnish are top standard, and the barts are fantastic. I love mine.

Would defo look to buy again. You get a lot of bass for the money

Excellent - had the gb75, build quality was exceptional. Only thing that was wrong for me was the active controls - way too much to fiddle with, I just want plug & play. Apart from that, it played beautifully, had a great low b, and looked great.

I also have a Cort acoustic guitar, and, on my recommendation, my brother has a Cort GB34 bass.

Cort are OEM manufacturers for numerous big brands - my Cort-built Ibanez EDA900 plays beautifully & is faultlessly put together - even if the sound & look are an acquired taste.

Over the years I've had numerous Cort-built guitars & basses, notably from the Hohner Professional range, and been very impressed.

I also had a quite lovely Cort T34 bass quite recently from another BCer - very Ibanez SR-ish in sound & feel. Sadly sold now for reasons of space & money. :(

I'd say as a brand they're a lot of bass for the money.

Jon.

My Cort A6 was a great bit of kit. Easiest bass I've ever had to get really low action on with no fret buzz. Really well built, good quality Hipshot licensed hardware and Bartolini electronics (albeit the less expensive Mk1 pups and pre but still pretty good) what's not to like?

I love my T-35.

I also have a headless Flying V six string that is unkillable. And I am considering getting one of their seven string guitars, too.

You can get used ones really cheap. My T-35 cost £220 and it had been bought brand new less than four months before, it still had the protective stuff on the cavity cover and tuners.

I tried an A4 at this year's London Bass Guitar Show, and was blown away within minutes by build quality, hardware used, fret work, just a brilliant bass. If had not already owned a couple of similarly priced basses (and as someone has pointed out, my tribute G&Ls are probably made in the same factory), I would have snapped one right there on the spot.

On the day I tried lots of other basses and this one felt like it should be in the £1k region, and it was less than half that price point.

I have a B4FL, very nice! Well made, lovely fast neck, and I have to say the preamp is fine for me, I have no problem getting the tones I need. It gets nearly as much playing time as the Wal, so that must say something!

Neil

I'm going have to go against the grain here a bit and say that the three I have tried have all left me feeling rather underwhelmed. Nothing wrong with them as such but, at least in the ones I have played, I felt there were far better options for the money.

The Arona I tried was the best of the lot, but even then the finish was a bit cheaply done (slightly rough frets, poorly done nut).

I guess as with all factory made stuff it is a case of try before you buy. Chances are there are some really nice Cort basses out there but so far they've really failed to impress me.

• 2 months later...

I went to my local music store with the pretense of buying the Lakland Skyline 5501 they had in. I noticed they had the Cort A5 custom sp in also. Did an A/B with them and it wasn't even a contest. The Cort was head and shoulders above the 5501 in every aspect, Tone, playability, aesthetics, weight, balance, etc. Being a big Lakland fan I tried hard to convince myself it had something on the Cort but I couldn't find anything.

I left the shop with the Cort A5 Custom SP. I've never been much of a 5string man as I haven't found one that was comfortable to use . The Cort is the most natural playing 5string bass I've ever picked up. I didnt even have to think about it being a 5string when testing it out.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1443867765' post='2878277']
My experience is very well made but their own preamps aren't great.
[/quote]

Exactly this - My first basses were a Cort A4 and a Cort A6. There's a stark constrast betweeen a Cort A5 and a Marleaux Consat 5, so I would try and find a 2nd hand model made by the latter.

I've never played a bass better than a Marleaux, but they don't put out a vintage Precision tone, so you'd need a Bravewood or something for that.

I've had a GB94, top quality. The MM/J pickup config turned out not to be my thing, but the bass was very well designed and built.

More recently, I tried a 5-string version of the Jeff Berlin signature at the last LBGS and it was at least equally impressive.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205854019767711&set=a.10205850993892066.1073741830.1174473192&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205854019207697&set=a.10205850993892066.1073741830.1174473192&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205857845503352&set=a.10205850993892066.1073741830.1174473192&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205857845503352&set=a.10205850993892066.1073741830.1174473192&type=3&theater

it is good. Has its quirks though - I didn't like the tone of both pickups on. They are very far apart, and there is an odd scoop going on. Each pickup soloed though - beautiful, warm, focused sounds. Built quality, hardware, playability, comfort - as good as anything.