Why become a member? ×

October Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1444772853' post='2885996']
Why go to such lengths..? Could you not have simply given it a light polish..? :unsure:
[/quote]

A light polish doesn't hide the smell!
:D

<p>[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1444771124' post='2885962']
That is fantastic , love it to pieces , and at 4.51 it still feels a bit short !!
[/quote]

:hi:

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1444773657' post='2886007']
Wow... A lot of early entries this month guys.
[/quote]

Indeed! I have an idea. I can hear it playing in my head. I just need to go through process of 'dumping' it into reality.

Actually, don't linger too long on that thought...

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1444830450' post='2886465']

Indeed! I have an idea. I can hear it playing in my head. I just need to go through process of 'dumping' it into reality.

Actually, don't linger too long on that thought...

[/quote]
What a weird and wonderful mind.

Here's my effort...

[url="https://soundcloud.com/jellyknees/becoming-a-city"]https://soundcloud.c...becoming-a-city[/url]

The initial idea/concept I had for the composition goes roughly like this;

Imagine if you were able to paint a picture of your ideal city; somewhere beautiful, safe, exciting and welcoming, a place where you would really love to live. Then imagine if that city were to become a reality and you were able to physically travel to it, to actually go there and live in it.

This could perhaps be a metaphor for achieving a state of happiness, whereby the city represents an ideal way of living, or possibly some kind of ‘nirvana’ like state of existence. The painting process would represent the imagining and realisation in one’s own mind of what that ideal state/way of life would be like. The journey to the city would represent the path that one would have to take in order to get there. Arriving at and entering into the city would represent the final steps, the achievement of contentment.

The piece is divided roughly into 5 sections, representing each of the stages;

The Spark of an Ideal
Brushwork
The Journey
Arrival
Becoming

I really enjoyed doing this – it was good to work to a specific concept, rather than the more organic way in which I usually write. I probably won’t do this every month, but I’m sure I’ll have another go from time to time.

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Good work guys! Loving the entries so far.[/size][/size][/font]

[size=4][quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1445333001' post='2890565']I really enjoyed doing this – it was good to work to a specific concept, rather than the more organic way in which I usually write. I probably won’t do this every month, but I’m sure I’ll have another go from time to time.[/quote][/size]

[font=Helvetica]That’s great to hear and welcome aboard. Of course there’s no obligation to write something each month… but I warn you that it is hopelessly addictive ;)[/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]My own effort is currently in the works. Far less sophisticated than what’s been offered up already, but heh, it takes all sorts right?[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[color=#800000][b][size=4]Deadline for entries is this Saturday at midnight.[/size][/b][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Look busy.[/size][/size][/font]

My first ever entry :ph34r: so ehm, ... total newbie in recording an creating music here so be gentle :P I like what you are doing and I simply want to support this thread by adding some more "compositions". I dont feel comfortable to do long tracks so this should do for now. I hope thats ok.

I used to paint (oil on canvas) for many years but stopped after my dear friend died. So this is kind of personal for me I guess.

I could see myself in this image here, contemplating before starting a painting. I did mostly some sort of abstract painting but also some abstract forms etc ...
I would never have a plan what to paint ... I would stare at the empty canvas until it "hits me" and then I frantically paint.

But the process of contemplating can take time ... and time .... and time ... and its accumulating ... and accumulating ... and .... and then I start painting and the painting is usually done in an hour or so :)

So here is my short entry for October called 'Enter From Within' !
NOTE; I remixed mine a tid bit to give it more spacey feel ; [url="https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/enter-from-within"]https://soundcloud.c...ter-from-within[/url]

Thank you for listening!

Edited by Che

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1445333001' post='2890565']

This could perhaps be a metaphor for achieving a state of happiness, whereby the city represents an ideal way of living, or possibly some kind of ‘nirvana’ like state of existence.
[/quote]

Off topic but maybe not;

I find this interesting how people look at same things with entirely different "eyes" :)
You and I look at the city life style in totally opposing ways :) I see city/city life style as the very reason behind our natural biodiversity (nature) being devastated.

So many people are pouring into cities running away from the sweaty country life and there are only a few left to make the food for the rest. Lets say 3% of population is feeding the 97% wanting to live that "ideal life". Those 3% have no choice but to grow huge mono-cultures using machinery and poisons to help them grow food for those of us wanting to seek some happiness on asphalt and concrete away from the natural.

And to add, I'm so happy that I have found my way out of the noisy and smelly city and into the country side. For me to find happiness is to find the way back to nature from which we all stem from and to which we all return sooner or later.

Nice tune though :)

[quote name='Che' timestamp='1445356541' post='2890877']
Off topic but maybe not;

I find this interesting how people look at same things with entirely different "eyes" :)
You and I look at the city life style in totally opposing ways :) I see city/city life style as the very reason behind our natural biodiversity (nature) being devastated.

So many people are pouring into cities running away from the sweaty country life and there are only a few left to make the food for the rest. Lets say 3% of population is feeding the 97% wanting to live that "ideal life". Those 3% have no choice but to grow huge mono-cultures using machinery and poisons to help them grow food for those of us wanting to seek some happiness on asphalt and concrete away from the natural.

And to add, I'm so happy that I have found my way out of the noisy and smelly city and into the country side. For me to find happiness is to find the way back to nature from which we all stem from and to which we all return sooner or later.

Nice tune though :)
[/quote]

Well it's an idealised city rather than a real one, so it would be definitely be pollution and odour free, although there would probably still be some noise :D Personally I prefer the countryside myself - my concept was purely for the purposes of the competition, not an actual suggestion that cities represent some kind of nirvana.

Glad you like the tune though B)

Afternoon all.

A quick note to say that [b][color=#800000]I'll be posting up the voting thread around lunchtime on Sunday[/color][/b], so you have a little extra time for last minute writing, recording, polishing, etc, if needed :)

[i]Unless of course you are heeding the day of rest...[/i]

I'm in this month. A slightly longer than I usually submit but it felt right so I let it run. It's missing a riff or something but I've no more time over the next two days so this is it. That said I like it so I hope others do as well.

I imagined the guy in the picture as a saviour of the depressed who would spread colour in people's lives but only if they wanted it.....

https://m.soundcloud.com/theboysings/these-colours-are-for-you

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1445675127' post='2893235']
It's not a riff, it's hi hats. When the guitar comes in doing the 8th chug & then roll them off again when the guitar stops.
Saying that, I like it how it is. Nice work. :)
[/quote]
Yes you are right. I'll try and do it tomorrow morning. :D

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1445637615' post='2893113']
I'm in this month. A slightly longer than I usually submit but it felt right so I let it run. It's missing a riff or something but I've no more time over the next two days so this is it. That said I like it so I hope others do as well.

I imagined the guy in the picture as a saviour of the depressed who would spread colour in people's lives but only if they wanted it.....

https://m.soundcloud.com/theboysings/these-colours-are-for-you
[/quote]
I only managed to listen on my phone , but the boy can most definitely sing , great work , I played out loud , and as we had been listening to radio 1 on the phone , Lurksalittle was quite amazed when I told her that this was a song in our little competition , and not on radio 1 :)