Why become a member? ×

Were I to be so bold as to want an 8-string ...

Happy Jack

... what should I go after?

By 8-string I mean four pairs tuned EADG, not an ironing board. :D

I played a John Diggins monster at the Bassbash, heaviest bass I have [u][i][b]ever [/b][/i][/u]picked up, but it did sound simply immense.

Tried out one of the current Hagstrom 8-strings yesterday but it was thoroughly [i]meh [/i]and really rather badly made too.

Bumped into Dave Swift and asked his opinion. He really rates the old Ibanez Musician and Ibanez Studio 8-strings but says that they're really heavy. Given the size of the man, if he thinks they're heavy then I stand no chance.

What does the Basschat massive recommend?

Oooo, be careful what you wish for: I had a B20-8 back in the day, and it had the most vicious neck dive I've ever experienced (and I like Thunderbirds), plus a very strange triangular neck profile. And the break angle to the higher register strings used to snap em every now and then...

To the OP, it really depends on what you want to spend: I had a Dean which was pretty nice for the money, tho the EMG HZs aren't the greatest, but at least you'll get an idea if it's gonna be a thing for you or a passing fad. I've had three or four 8s and 12s - I keep buying them, and realise months later I'm not really using them, so I sell them again. Then I fancy another... :rolleyes: :D

In terms of current production models there really doesn't seem to be many manufacturers who offer a classic 8 string.

I quite like the look of the old BC Rich Bitch 8 with the tuners at both ends, but it's a huge body shape and must weigh a ton.

When I was browsing the Warmoth site the other day I did notice that they do an 8 string neck, so if you're a handy type you could put something together (maybe with a chambered or dinky body) that's more tailored to you, personally?

Other than that, given the overwhelming positive feedback they've been getting here recently maybe try talking to Maruszczyk to see if it's something they might be able to do?

Edited by Cato

Hagstrom?

This is a re-issue. Don't know if they're any good. Saw Nick Lowe use one of the originals a couple of times and it sounded great.

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Hagstrom-HB-8-8-String-Bass-Guitar-Transparent-Cherry/8TV"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Hagstrom-HB-8-8-String-Bass-Guitar-Transparent-Cherry/8TV[/url]

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1443615313' post='2876225']
Hagstrom?

This is a re-issue. Don't know if they're any good. Saw Nick Lowe use one of the originals a couple of times and it sounded great.

[/quote]

If I might refer you to the OP: [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Tried out one of the current Hagstrom 8-strings yesterday but it was thoroughly [/font][/color][i]meh [/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]and really rather badly made too.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1443615451' post='2876230']
If I might refer you to the OP: [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Tried out one of the current Hagstrom 8-strings yesterday but it was thoroughly [/font][/color][i]meh [/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]and really rather badly made too.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Skim reading. Bad habit.

There's the hens teeth Shergold Marathon 8 strings.

Warmoth do very nice looking 8 string necks. You could go down that route. [url="http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/Neck/8String.aspx"]http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/Neck/8String.aspx[/url]

Having owned two 8-string basses - a Washburn B20-8 and a Carlo Robelli (low cost Korean-made for one of the US instrument retail chains IIRC) I would offer the following advice:

1. Don't buy anything that doesn't have individual adjustable saddles for each string in the pair. Without this feature it is impossible to play in tune above the 7th fret. On a conventional 4-string bass this might not matter, but for me the whole point of an 8-string is that it lends itself to melodic playing in the higher registers while still retaining the bottom end, so if you can't do that because of tuning issues it's pretty pointless.

2. They all tend to be pretty weighty. And the less weighty ones tend to suffer from neck dive due to the size of the headstock and the number of machine heads populating it.

3. The current "easily" available modern designs from Dean and Schecter all use the same hardware and TBH are essentially the same bass with different body stylings. They do the job and the bridge has the required individual saddles, but having played them, they are all a bit "meh" (and heavy).

4. If I was going to buy another "off-the-peg" 8-string bass, then I'd be looking at Tune Japan. I've not been lucky enough to play one of their 8-string basses but the 4- and 5-strings models I've tried have been excellent. The company have an excellent reputation for building high-quality instruments, and they even do a model with an 8-string vibrato unit! They aren't cheap and your best bet is to keep a watch in the Ishibashi Ubox. There's been a few come up over the last few years, so they are not impossible to find.

Edit: A lot of the older models such as those from Kramer, BC Rich and (IIRC) Hagstrom are short scale which may or may not be an advantage depending on your PoV. If scale length is important check first.

HTH

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1443616661' post='2876256']

1. Don't buy anything that doesn't have individual adjustable saddles for each string in the pair.
[/quote]

Speaking of which, this surely cannot be the bridge as Kramer intended it? Look at the way the upper course strings run ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Vintage-KRAMER-1980-XL-8-Aluminum-Neck-8-Strings-Bass-from-Japan-/291573896404?hash=item43e32894d4

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1443621426' post='2876330']

Speaking of which, this surely cannot be the bridge as Kramer intended it? Look at the way the upper course strings run ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Vintage-KRAMER-1980-XL-8-Aluminum-Neck-8-Strings-Bass-from-Japan-/291573896404?hash=item43e32894d4
[/quote]The splayed out routing of the strings? Yep, that's how they are on the XL8. I was tempted by one of these about 9yrs ago. I missed out as it sold for more than I could afford (it went for £700 on ebay) but I kept the pics and it too had the splayed string routing.

I'm gassing for one again now :-)

I play a Shine one - picked it up pretty cheaply on here as an entry point, and I'm very pleased with it - decent to play, decent sound.
This one in fact; http://basschat.co.uk/topic/138206-shine-8-eight-string-bass-for-saletrade/

I saw a clip of someone playing a converted Spector and that sounded awesome (tuned D-A-D-G - I do the same). I remember someone also converting a P-bass to 8 string which looked great.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1443621426' post='2876330']

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Vintage-KRAMER-1980-XL-8-Aluminum-Neck-8-Strings-Bass-from-Japan-/291573896404?hash=item43e32894d4"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43e32894d4[/url]
[/quote]

Unfortunately yes it is. The big problem with the original aluminium neck Kramers is that apart from the neck and body they are essentially what I call "parts bin" instruments. That all the other hardware is whatever parts were easily available at the time bodged to make the instrument work as best they could. There was no custom hardware made to properly solve problems like this. Even the revolutionary aluminium necks are the same castings for all the models. All they did was to slot the fingerboard differently to give 19 frets long scale or 24 frets short scale. The headless models just had the headstock sawn off the standard neck.

Now does it make sense?

OK, look what I've found now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131615738395?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So yes, that really is all original. And 10.5lbs. Ulp. And it's a lot cheaper than the Japanese one I posted earlier, but will still come up to about £1000 by the time you factor in shipping, duty and VAT.

How heavy was that Shine?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1443612696' post='2876183']
... what should I go after?

By 8-string I mean four pairs tuned EADG, not an ironing board. :D

I played a John Diggins monster at the Bassbash, heaviest bass I have [u][i][b]ever [/b][/i][/u]picked up, but it did sound simply immense.

Tried out one of the current Hagstrom 8-strings yesterday but it was thoroughly [i]meh [/i]and really rather badly made too.

Bumped into Dave Swift and asked his opinion. He really rates the old Ibanez Musician and Ibanez Studio 8-strings but says that they're really heavy. Given the size of the man, if he thinks they're heavy then I stand no chance.

What does the Basschat massive recommend?
[/quote]

Don't you mean you tried my 8 string explorer at the bash Jack? It's a warmoth. Yes, it weighs several tons.

Edited by Wolverinebass

I toyed with the idea of building one myself... oh, for a good 5 minutes or so. Then I remembered that I haven't built a single guitar yet, I have a queue of at least 3 that I want to build, and the chances of actually playing it at a gig are pretty negligible. Ah well, dream on and back to the sanding... :)

Some excellent ideas here, thanks.

I've thought quite seriously about the conversion idea, but I suspect there'd be worms everywhere.

In particular I'd be worried about the tension on the neck, and about the pickup choice.

Trouble is, it wouldn't really be possible to do a cheap "recce". By the time you've sourced & fitted extra tuners, replaced the nut, found a suitable bridge, and anchored the extra strings in the body, there's a pretty substantial investment gone into a mere experiment.

On balance, buying a cheap bass that was designed and built as an 8 and then trying to improve it must make more sense.