Why become a member? ×

A Very Special song growing up in the 80's.

bubinga5

38 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Well, I use oasis as an example to signify the return of guitar pop rather than suggest they were the best band ever 

However compared to simply red they were genius

Well, I dislike both of them, but don't see it - there is no genius in the 3 chords and whining of oasis, simply reds songs had better instrumentation for however annoying they were. So I would say Simply Red were genius compared to oasis (which probably goes for most bands), however I would still rather not listen to them!

• Like 2

I'm not really one to judge. For me the mid 80's to mid 90's were all about heavy metal and rock. If it wasn't a bunch of long haired blokes dresses in black, I probably wasn't interested. 

For the most part, with a few notable exceptions, I still feel the same way. 

12 Yrs Old....

Ace of Spades - Motorhead... as i already had Overkill

Gary Newman was an 'ear opener' but that was 1979...

Other than that it was all Disco or Shakin Stevens!

Then came the dirge of Heavy Metal, shame...

Edited by PaulThePlug

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, I dislike both of them, but don't see it - there is no genius in the 3 chords and whining of oasis, simply reds songs had better instrumentation for however annoying they were. So I would say Simply Red were genius compared to oasis (which probably goes for most bands), however I would still rather not listen to them!

Quite, and If anything it was Dire Straits who got people playing guitars again. Like them or not.

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

It seems we must disagree. I hope the forum can cope.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, mikel said:

Quite, and If anything it was Dire Straits who got people playing guitars again. Like them or not.

I loved Dire Straits. First three albums at least. But that wasn't my point.

Popular had become bland, manufactured, and safe. Oasis and the rest of their ilk brought it back. 

It goes in phases, or at least it did. I don't know what popular music sounds like any more

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mikel said:

I liked Dire Straits right up until Walk Of Life. What the hell was THAT all about?... 😖

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stewblack said:

I loved Dire Straits. First three albums at least. But that wasn't my point.

Popular had become bland, manufactured, and safe. Oasis and the rest of their ilk brought it back. 

It goes in phases, or at least it did. I don't know what popular music sounds like any more

For me Oasis define "Bland".

• Like 1

I was born in the 70s and grew up in the 80s. It was the decade I started making my own musical choices, outside of the cooler aspects of my parents record collection and the decade that saw me first get an instrument and then join a band.

I suppose I flitted between alternative and rock bands, hating much of the mainstream. I spent much of the 90s and 00s reacting to the 80s in a very negative way. Maybe I have mellowed with age but digging out those old records again, there is a lot to love. I don't know if it is those days seeming so long ago now, the passing of family etc but I really connected with a lot of it over the lockdowns. Right now I seem to be back into it with a passion. Funny how life goes full circle. 

• Like 1

I drive quite a bit surveying so I used to buy lots of CD’s from charity shops ,and the ones I didn’t like I would just give back , Oasis was one of many I gave back, after a while all their tracks sounded the same to me 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, odysseus said:

I liked Dire Straits right up until Walk Of Life. What the hell was THAT all about?... 😖

Dreadful track that gets way more airplay than it deserves. In the context of the rest of Brothers in Arms, it smacks of filler.

With regard to Oasis, I can’t stand them either, whining, style over substance to my ears. However, I could say much the same for the rest of the Britpop bands of the time. Others find that era and the bands involved, fabulous, I, on the other hand, think it’s where music went to die. They all made a fair few quid, so what do I know?

• Like 1

On 30/09/2015 at 09:23, KevB said:

That's Whitby in the video. Possibly the best bit about it, other than a fleeting glimpse of the delightful Maggie O'Neill.

Fabulous - that’s Ms O’Neill btw

I have seen the mission many times and they have always been good, apart from the last time, the mission and fields of the nephilim, and the mission were absolutely terrible, probably because they didn't even look like they were trying. Still, the Nephilim were much better than usual so I guess swings and roundabouts.

• Like 2

It's the Nephilim headlining the Whitby Goth festival this year so I am looking forward to seeing them. I saw the Mission support Alice Cooper a few years back and they suffered from a terrible sound (plus our seats were practically in the car park!) so looking forward to seeing them properly. 

• Like 2