Why become a member? ×

A Very Special song growing up in the 80's.

bubinga5

I just found this old thread. I've been watching old live Simple Red gigs since yesterday and I love Tony Bowers work there.

Specially with that fretless Thumb. Great bass player.

I like to play songs and try to play along with them to enhance my ear, and I've been enjoying playing some of their old material a lot. Songs from their first three albums, I,d say. Like Sad Old Red, Money...

• Like 1

On 30/09/2015 at 09:37, Slipperydick said:

One of the reasons I lost interest in music
I didnt even pick up a Bass between 1979 and 1991. So o o glad I didnt have to grow up in the 80s.

Madness

Duran Duran

Propaganda

Prince

Beastie Boys 

Iron Maiden

Jesus and Mary Chain

The Cure

Pixies

Mudhoney 

The Cult

The Smiths

The Sisters of Mercy 

Metallica

House Of Love

New Order

.....I muddled through okay :D

(Though if only I had heard Peace Sells in 1986, not 35 years later :facepalm:)

• Like 2

There was great music being made in the 80's.

Released in 1987, this signalled that Little Feat was back on the road. . . .

Let It Roll   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY48CYcNuKA

Released in 1989, my fist encounter with Delbert McClinton. . . .

Live From Austin  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHhDx7SWjnk

oh dear 😞 oh dear dear dear,

i play in an 80s tribute show.

more of the classic new wave english sound of the 80s

there are loads of great songs from the 80s.

what i did get out of doing this band was just how much sh!t there really was in the 80.

for example, we tried to theme the show in some sort of chronological order like say doing 2 number 1s for each year then just go through the years, great idea till you look at some some of the god awfull number 1s of the 80s, and most were that bad.

its too depressing to type a list so here ya go...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_Singles_Chart_number_ones_of_the_1980s

also the 80s sound seems to be more of an english thing, as more english bands defined that sound, might be because our version of

"classic 80" to us brits is what was rammed down our ears via english radio, im sure usa have there own version of classic 80s ?

rock hair bands maybe, for me usa classic 80s was talking heads debbie harry madonna, jacko,

but for me the english 80s thing was much more niched.

also while covering some of these songs it made me realize how good some of the bands were, which i hated at the time, but now think they are just stunningly good,

nik kershaw, go west, for eg.

in fact i think rick wakeman said the best song to come out of the 80s is the riddle by nik kershaw, and if you take the time to learn it you will see why, some of the cord structure in that song should not go together, it does not fit in any other song but that, niks a very clever talented guy no doubt, as is the members of go west and a whole lot more,

but yea, a real eye opener.

great playing by all and bass tighter than a gnats chuff.

enjoy.....

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 4

My response to anyone who says 80s music was all crap is: go and listen to Duran's 'Rio', Go West's 'Bangs & Crashes', Level 42's 'World Machine', Nik Kershaw's 'Riddle' and Madonna's 'Like A Prayer'. Then try telling me it was "all crap".

• Like 2

I left school in 1980 ,and most people I hear saying the music then wasn’t good were people who weren’t there, there was lots going on in many different genres and lots of new bands about, for me it was the best time to be around, certainly in the reggae world 

• Like 2

I’m a ‘60s child and am not a fan of that decade, although I’m aware of its significance. The ‘70s were good for what I was listening to, but it’s the ‘80s I like the best. Yes, like all decades, there was a goodly amount of dross, but there was so much good stuff, at least to my ears (see @Rich’s post above for some prime examples) and it was when I was first drawn to play the bass (Pino). For me, it’s the ‘90s where music went to die (at least post ‘91). However, if you were into Britpop, you’ll love that period.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich said:

My response to anyone who says 80s music was all crap is: go and listen to Duran's 'Rio', Go West's 'Bangs & Crashes', Level 42's 'World Machine', Nik Kershaw's 'Riddle' and Madonna's 'Like A Prayer'. Then try telling me it was "all crap".

One man's crap is another's steaming pile of heaven...

I would file all the above in my stinky crap pile, and my steamy pile of 80s heaven would include Bauhaus, Trouble Funk, The Exploited, The Meteors, Guana Batz, Jonzun Crew, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Mad Professor.

Funnily enough, from my NotDooDoo Pile, only 1 charted in the 80s (that I noticed) - Bauhaus, with a cover of a 70s Bowie song...

On 29/04/2022 at 15:40, funkgod said:

oh dear 😞 oh dear dear dear,

i play in an 80s tribute show.

more of the classic new wave english sound of the 80s

there are loads of great songs from the 80s.

what i did get out of doing this band was just how much sh!t there really was in the 80.

for example, we tried to theme the show in some sort of chronological order like say doing 2 number 1s for each year then just go through the years, great idea till you look at some some of the god awfull number 1s of the 80s, and most were that bad.

its too depressing to type a list so here ya go...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_Singles_Chart_number_ones_of_the_1980s

also the 80s sound seems to be more of an english thing, as more english bands defined that sound, might be because our version of

"classic 80" to us brits is what was rammed down our ears via english radio, im sure usa have there own version of classic 80s ?

rock hair bands maybe, for me usa classic 80s was talking heads debbie harry madonna, jacko,

but for me the english 80s thing was much more niched.

also while covering some of these songs it made me realize how good some of the bands were, which i hated at the time, but now think they are just stunningly good,

nik kershaw, go west, for eg.

in fact i think rick wakeman said the best song to come out of the 80s is the riddle by nik kershaw, and if you take the time to learn it you will see why, some of the cord structure in that song should not go together, it does not fit in any other song but that, niks a very clever talented guy no doubt, as is the members of go west and a whole lot more,

but yea, a real eye opener.

great playing by all and bass tighter than a gnats chuff.

enjoy.....

Yes, I'm in an 80's tribute as well and whilst we don't do 'Don't Look Down',we occasionally perform 'We Close Our Eyes' which is another cracker.

Definitely a mistake going for the #1's. I think #2's of the 80's make a better list: Golden Brown, Kids in America, Save a Prayer, Mirror Man, Temptation, Sweet Dreams, China Girl, Gold etc etc

One of my favourite bands of the 80's hasn't been mentioned, so I'll name check them: Prefab Sprout - those first two albums.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stewblack said:

For me The 80s started really well, by 84 it had begun to be very slim pickings and almost nothing of note from 85 onwards.

Music started again with Oasis.

These are obviously broad brush strokes.

For me Oasis is where music went to die. 😆

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

For me Oasis is where music went to die. 😆

Well, I use oasis as an example to signify the return of guitar pop rather than suggest they were the best band ever 

However compared to simply red they were genius

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Well, I use oasis as an example to signify the return of guitar pop rather than suggest they were the best band ever 

However compared to simply red they were genius

In all honesty, I can remember owning and listening to Simply Red's Stars album back in the day. But I've never owned or listened to an Oasis album. Hearing their nasal whining on the radio was enough.