Why become a member? ×

NBD Fender Precision Special CAR

LemonCello

I got this from Bass Direct at the wknd and it's the nicest US P Bass I've played. The two previous ones an Oly white 2008 and hand stained FSR 2012 had slightly roughly finished necks. This one is very nicely finished and has a great action. The previous owner added a Gotoh bridge, the gold anodized pickguard (which looks great) and swapped the standard pup's for Seymours. Very happy with it :)[attachment=201716:PTop.jpg]

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1443525390' post='2875477']
Looks like a [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-active-p-bass-special-chrome-red-maple/15792"]Deluxe Active Precision Special[/url] to me, with upgraded bridge and pups.
[/quote]

I sold one of these recently. Other than the upgrades that's exactly what it looks like.

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1443525806' post='2875485']
Aren't they MIM...?
[/quote]

The P-bass Deluxe Special IS MIM. This looks extremely similar... :ph34r:

If I were the OP I'd be having a wee word with Mark at Bass Direct...

Edited by Bigwan

The following from Fender website which (I think) clears it up :)

[color=#000000][font=robotoslab, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]A new serial numbering scheme was adopted toward the end of 2009 using the number “10” as a prefix, followed by a space, followed by seven digits. The “10” prefix was designed to identify the first year of the second decade of the new millennium, and while it appears on the instrument decals, it was not captured in Fender’s operating system. Only the seven-digit suffixes were actually entered into the database. These serial numbers did not identify the country of origin in the body of the number. Instead, the instrument's country of origin appears on the decal on the back of the headstock, near the serial number.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=robotoslab, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]This new numbering scheme was short-lived and was replaced only a few months later by an improved scheme that identifies an instrument’s country of origin and year of manufacture in the body of the serial number.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=robotoslab, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]This new scheme uses the letters “US” as a prefix to designate an instrument made in the United States, followed by an eight-digit number. The first two digits of the number identify the year of manufacture, (10 for 2010, 11 for 2011, etc.). The following six digits are the unit identifier, although it should be noted that these final six numbers are not sequential and do not provide any other identification information about the instrument. This new scheme is now used on the majority of U.S.-made Fender instruments, with exceptions including the American Vintage series and certain special-run instruments.[/size][/font][/color]

The headstock clearly says made in USA and the neckplate says Corona California. This still doesn't explain the fact it's a P/J however, but this might. I have heard that Fender have built 'some' instruments , not often, using mixed parts (MIM/USA) which were assembled in Corona and this may fit into that category? I spoke to Mark and although a bit vague did say if I wasn't happy he'd have it back. To tell you the truth, as it's such a good instrument I'm minded to keep it.

I might e mail Fender customer support for a definitive answer.

Update: I e mailed Fender customer relations and got a reply the next day - great service as I really wasn't expecting a response! The serial number of my P/J relates to an Am Stnd which left the factory in 2010, the neck from which became 'aquainted' with what must only be a Mex body on my bass some time after.

I forwarded the mail from Fender to Mark at Bass Direct where the Bass was advertised as a USA. He had assumed it was a (full) USA as it was told to him that way when the previous owner Px'd it for a Sandberg. Mark e mailed the previous owner to try and get some more info and the chap told Mark he had bought it off a mate as is.

When I originally phoned Mark about the provenance of the Bass he told me he'd done some research after taking the Bass in and come to the conclusion it was a US/Mex mix. I made the point to him that really that should have been pointed out in the advertising. To be fair he's been very good about it and has refunded part of the price I paid and I am very happy with the outcome.

It has the best Fender neck I've played and overall the action is perfect for me. It is a beautiful instrument and the addition of the Seymours and Gotoh bridge really do improve things no end.

Mystery over!