Why become a member? ×

Which fretless for studio work? (and stage)

andydye

I've had numerous fretless basses over the years (Warwick, Fender J and P, G&L, Stingray5, ACG etc) and while they've all had good points, none have been perfect...

...they've all had some detractor, the active ones had good punch but were too 'clicky' and sterile, the passive J was ok, my current '78 P is the nicest so far but lacks a bit of that magic swell to the notes and also isn't quite reliable enough for studio use as the electrics aren't quite noiseless and while it sounds stunning for stage use it's just not quite there for studio use somehow...

I remember trying a Wal fretless many years ago and I'm wondering, is this the king of fretless basses for both live and studio work?

I know Pino used an old Stingray fretless and got some very pleasing sounds out of it but I've never met a fretless ray that did it for me...

Has anyone near Sheffield got a fretless that they swear by that I could come and meet as I'm getting more studio work offers at the minute and fretless is really working well in the style of song on offer...

...let the bc wisdom download commence... :gas:

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1443440579' post='2874630']
Filter pre-amps work particularly well with fretless. If you are ever up my way my own two basses are fretless you are welcome to try them out. An Uber Recurve 4 and a Krell 6.
[/quote]

oo actually yeah I did love the clarity of the uber I tried when you came down to Manchester that time...must find a reason to be passing Moffatt...

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1443437605' post='2874584']

I remember trying a Wal fretless many years ago and I'm wondering, is this the king of fretless basses for both live and studio work?

[/quote]

Yes, or at least a contender. Much like the Middle Ages, there's a lot of argument over who is actually The King by right, but as I found out recently having tried almost every other brand, there's a reason Wal have the reputation they have.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1443441159' post='2874640']
Yes, or at least a contender. Much like the Middle Ages, there's a lot of argument over who is actually The King by right, but as I found out recently having tried almost every other brand, there's a reason Wal have the reputation they have.
[/quote]

Thanks matey :)

...and so I need to find someone/somewhere near-ish to Sheffield that has a fretless one that I can try even if just to rule it out...probably 4 string, mk1...

Edited by andydye

I'm going to have to say Wal too... but that's probably no surprise.

I think the fretless Wal tone is even more distinctive than the fretted one.

I have not however tried one of Alan's fretless basses with the multicoil pickups... I would expect these to be of a similar standard and also half the price / build time.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1443440819' post='2874636']
oo actually yeah I did love the clarity of the uber I tried when you came down to Manchester that time...must find a reason to be passing Moffatt...
[/quote]

Sure any time. My own 4 has the prototype MC pickups in it and a DFM pre-amp also 33" scale.

Edited by skelf

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1443441479' post='2874647']
I'm going to have to say Wal too... but that's probably no surprise.
I think the fretless Wal tone is even more distinctive than the fretted one.
I have not however tried one of Alan's fretless basses with the multicoil pickups... I would expect these to be of a similar standard and also half the price / build time.

[/quote]
[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1443441859' post='2874650']
Also; I once briefly owned a cort curbow fretless... don't buy one of those :mellow:
[/quote]

Haha cheers buddy :)

I really would love to try a fretless Wal, it'd be even better if it was next to an ACG Uber fretless so I could a/b them but tbh I just wanna try a Wal and I'd love to try a Uber fretless too... ;)

Cort curbow bleugh

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1443445492' post='2874707']
There are only two Uber fretless one in Germany and the one I have so the chances are not great I am afraid.
I am however building one for stock and the to have at the London show.
[/quote]

oo if the stock fretless one happened to be unlined 34" scale 4 string and recurve shaped (headless or otherwise) that might be very tempting indeed... :gas:

What you got to remember, is that the great recorded tone that you are hearing, especially in modern recordings, have been eq and post processed to feck in the studio. It may be worth experimenting with some outboard if you are struggling to get a great core sound... it may be that your brain is hankering for something more processed. I know that there will be people going on about "pure tone" but at the end of the day, the resulting sound is the result of the component parts... so maybe book a day at a studio with a competent engineer to help craft your tone so you can figure out what you are looking to do to your core tone maybe?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1443445944' post='2874715']
What you got to remember, is that the great recorded tone that you are hearing, especially in modern recordings, have been eq and post processed to feck in the studio. It may be worth experimenting with some outboard if you are struggling to get a great core sound... it may be that your brain is hankering for something more processed. I know that there will be people going on about "pure tone" but at the end of the day, the resulting sound is the result of the component parts... so maybe book a day at a studio with a competent engineer to help craft your tone so you can figure out what you are looking to do to your core tone maybe?
[/quote]

good point, cheers matey. I do now use an MXR bass compressor and that gets me much closer to the basic sound I'm after, it may be that one of the basses I used to have would have benefitted from that comp and so could have been the sound in my head...dammit :/

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1443445780' post='2874713']
oo if the stock fretless one happened to be unlined 34" scale 4 string and recurve shaped (headless or otherwise) that might be very tempting indeed... :gas:
[/quote]

I am afraid not it is a 5 string Krell.

I do have a stock Recurve 4 I am working on as well.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1443445944' post='2874715']
[/quote]

All true, but one of the characteristics that makes Wals so good is that the onboard filter pre does so much of that stuff for you

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1443445492' post='2874707']
There are only two Uber fretless one in Germany and the one I have so the chances are not great I am afraid.
I am however building one for stock and the to have at the London show.
[/quote]

I would love to try out one of your fretless's, when is the London show please, is that next March?