Why become a member? ×

Ampeg/Monique/Aguilar ...? Opinions please

Jazzjames

Hello everyone,

This is quite a broad query. What opinions do you have on the Ampeg SVT 3 Pro?

Right now I'm using an Aguilar TH500 with 2 DB112 cabs. It's lovely and loud, punchy, but not the last word in sophistication. I played though a V4B and 212AV a while ago and the tone was just a little more mellow and 'expensive'.

I don't really want to spend near enough a grand on the V4B which will probably not give me the clean headroom I need at gigging volume. I'm considering a SVT 3 Pro as it's got some tubes in it to sweeten everything up, and (without starting a 50 page mega thread) the SVT 3 Pro has a regular MOSFET power section, not class D.

I don't want to get rid of the Tonehammer as it's awesome and sounds great, and is naffing loud, I just want something that goes moderately loud, which has a bit more detail and sophistication to the sound, for those gigs where tone is important.

I have also tried the Monique 700 rack mount, but it's probably a bit pricey for me, but I could save up.

Any opinions welcome!

James

I've used the TH500, have the pedal and also a DB750 so I like the Aguilar thing but the TH500 is a tad short for me.
Soundwise it is great but I'd like more volume. A TH800 would be very interesting and useful.
I'm currently using a Demeter to do that gig...

Depends what you mean by 'sweeten up' but I think a 3 Pro is even more basic...- I hate the graphic and the
5 point switch and there isn't much left, IMO. Very popular around here but not a good sound I'm hearing so
I think the popularity is because of the 'iconic' name and because they think it is cheap SVT option.
I don't think it is... tbh.

And with a completely opposite opinion, I`ve just switched from the TH500 to the SVT3-PRO and couldn`t be more happy. I`ve swapped the pre-amp valves out for a set recommended by Watford Valves which give more gain and harden the top-end, making it sound more regular SVT-ish, but the warmth and size/heft of the notes is just great.

And don`t be put off by the "it`s not a very loud amp" comments. OK I run mine with gain on full, and the overall graphic eq volume maxed (tho no eq-ing on the graphic) but my volume doesn`t go above 9 o`clock. It`s a great amp the SVT3.

I would suggest trying some other preamps (pedal or rack) into the effects return of the TH500. You will take away some of the Aguilar sound but may prefer other, less coloured options. Worth some experimenting. I've used the Sansamp VT DI both in front of the Aguilar preamp and into the effects return - both work and sound slightly different (more drive and distortion options with the VT) ...but for general gigging the Aguilar alone is fine for me.

Thanks for the responses!

JTUK I'm not wanting for volume with my TH500, it's plenty loud enough when I'm running it at 4 ohms. I just wonder having a different amp with a different power amp would change the character of the sound delivery.

Loz196. Thanks for the different opinion. I've had a look at the manual for the SVT 3 pro, and a lot of their sample settings feature having the master at 10 and controlling the volume with the gain, so I think it doesn't operate like many other amps, where you turn up the preamp to just before clipping, then set the master to your desired volume level. Do you feel the SVT has more control of the low end at higher volumes than the tone hammer? Why exactly do you think it works better for you?

BassBod, I've tried putting a Monique into the FX return on the tone hammer. It was a tiny bit fuller for sure, but with a bit of EQing on the tone hammer, I could get extremely close to the sound. I think the power amp is very important in conveying the sound of a pre amp. I used to have a sans amp, and I found that it sounded great whilst playing alone, but it felt very compressed and unresponsive live, so I sold it on.

I use a TH, and I'll probably keep it as a backup or door stop or whatever but I don't need much EQ
so I don't colour things much. I know that sounds a bit odd but I am indeed looking or listening to the back
end stage of the amp, and this is what I don't totally love about the TH. I don't much like it on
quite a few of the other lightweights amps I've used either, tbh. They have the volumes but no guts.
It is a bit harsh, and they are useable up to a point but I'm thinking what gig can I use this on...and it is not a default
amp.

If you think you want more tonal options than the TH..then I don't think the 3 pro is going to be it as the EQ is pretty clumsy.

But..as always... if it works it works but again, from a sample round here of them in use... they certainly aren't
the epitome of sophistication....and don't appeal to that sort of player anyway.
Maybe the power stage is the best thing about it.
I'd say the SVT suffers from the same lack of tone options but the awesome power stage rescues it... or makes it irrelevent.

I think I've gone off graphics like the Ampeg one or the old GP 7 as by the very nature of the design they are too 'peaky' IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1443364724' post='2874123']
I use a TH, and I'll probably keep it as a backup or door stop or whatever but I don't need much EQ
so I don't colour things much. I know that sounds a bit odd but I am indeed looking or listening to the back
end stage of the amp, and this is what I don't totally love about the TH. I don't much like it on
quite a few of the other lightweights amps I've used either, tbh. They have the volumes but no guts.
[/quote]

The Demeter 800 amps use the same power module as the TH500, so it would be interesting to know what is different in the implementations.

[quote name='Jazzjames' timestamp='1443358801' post='2874075']
Thanks for the responses!

Loz196. Thanks for the different opinion. I've had a look at the manual for the SVT 3 pro, and a lot of their sample settings feature having the master at 10 and controlling the volume with the gain, so I think it doesn't operate like many other amps, where you turn up the preamp to just before clipping, then set the master to your desired volume level. Do you feel the SVT has more control of the low end at higher volumes than the tone hammer? Why exactly do you think it works better for you?
[/quote]

Well for starters I`m Ampeg nuts, so that is always a help. But it`s just the size/depth of the sound. It really has much more weight to it. With regards to the low-end question, yes I`ve found it can be controlled very well due to the graphic. As the sheer size/depth of the sound is more from this amp, in rehearsals I just cut the far-left slider a bit, it`s at 30Hz I think. This leaves everything else nice and solid, but stops any booming in such a small room. For gigs I just set it flat again. And I think that`s the main use of the graphic for me. I had an SVT3-PRO some years ago and tried all manner of boosts/cuts on the graphic and couldn`t get what I really wanted. I then set all the sliders flat and just used the bass/mid/treble controls on the amp and it sprang to life. Sure the amp is limited in what it can do as it will always sound like an Ampeg, but if you like Ampeg, well then it`s doing its job well.

But the reason I think it works so well for me is that I was trying to get an Ampeg sound from the TH500 (and it was doing it very well I might add). Whereas now I get Ampeg sound from an Ampeg, and much more depth to it too.

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1443365443' post='2874133']
The Demeter 800 amps use the same power module as the TH500, so it would be interesting to know what is different in the implementations.
[/quote]

So they say, but the Demeter is a much better balanced amp... but it costs twice as much, so..??
I think both are good sound wise but for me, the TH doesn't amp up well... which is a common thing with the lightweight amos, IMO.
Need more time with the Demeter...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1443366059' post='2874139']
I think both are good sound wise but for me, the [b]TH doesn't amp up well[/b]... which is a common thing with the lightweight amps, IMO.
[/quote]

Huh? Can you please explain the Queen's English to this dense, still half asleep Yank?

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1443366261' post='2874142']
Huh? Can you please explain the Queen's English to this dense, still half asleep Yank?
[/quote]

You get the sound right at low level...you've worked out what settings to use at home etc...
and they the sound goes completely to pot when you turn it up.
Sometimes, I think the filters some amps have don't work or stay the same with the volume going up
..??? so you as well have not bothered. :lol: but generally they sound strained at volume and when played hard.

I have to have the pre and master on around 1 and 1... with the way I play... and this is working the amp hard, it seems.

The reason I will sell my TH is because I have it running at 1 and 1 and it isn't loud enough....hence my thoughts about a TH800 post..

Years ago I went to buy an svt 3 and it was nothing like an SVT, it clipped quite easily and the tone was wanting. Ended up with a rack mount ashdown RC500 which was far better tone wise, until it broke. Twice.
I loaned a cab to an SVT 3 owner and he blew a cone at a gig.

My suggestion would be stick your monique thru a power amp. There are plenty used bargains out there. I put together a Sansamp (£300)and used Crest Ca6 rack (£150) which is way louder than any valve amp I've owned and would smoke the SVT 3 tone.

Any good valve pre with a decent power amp should do the trick. The GT200 I got recently reignited my valve love so the Sansamp has been replaced with an Aguilar pre and it's heavenly. If you don't want to go the monique route and want an ampeg vibe, the Arkham sound Zephyr looks like a good shout. I was going to get one until I got the Aguilar pre.