Why become a member? ×

What do I need, people?

Earbrass

For the first time since the early 1980's, I am playing bass again in a rock band. There's talk of gigs (the band have been a gigging outfit in the past, but have been without a regular bass player for a while). Trouble is, at the moment I only have a small practice amp, so it looks like I'm going to have to spend some money on some kind of gigging rig.

The band is a 4 piece - vocals, gtr+backing vocals, drums and bass - playing heavyish melodic rock type stuff.
The guitarist doesn't have an amp either - our practice room has amps supplied, and they say that in the past they've always got gigs at places with amps already in place (have you guys ever come across this??).

The gigs they've had in the past (and think they are most likely to get in the future) seem to have been mostly in London pub venues, with PA supplied.

So I'm wondering, from a perspective of zero recent gigging experience, what I'm going to need. I'd like not to exceed around £600 or 30lbs total weight if possible.

Options I've been considering include things like:

Hartke Kickback 10 combo: 120W, 30lbs, £260 ish new: basic option - if most of the oomph is likely to come from the PA, and the backline is mostly for hearing myself, this might be good option given its ability to act as a monitor in 'kicked-back' mode.

Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0 10T: 175W (350 with extension cab), 18lbs, £600 ish: - similar pros to the Hartke (it has a stand so it can be angled up, apparently), plus even lighter, and I could add an extra cab for more power if required.

Lightweight head (Ashdown Little Giant 350??) with Lightweight 1x12 8 ohm cab (Zoot??). 175 Watts / 30lbs approx. / £500-£600. More like a 'proper' bass rig - could add a second 1x12 if needed. But can't angle upwards as easily, so most of the power would be directed at my ankles.

Any thoughts? Do you find that for the average gig your amp is primarily a monitor for you, and that the PA is doing most of the work? Do you think a 1x10 combo could cut it in a gig, or am I falling victim to optimistic advertising?

Thanks and regards

E

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='Earbrass' post='277950' date='Sep 5 2008, 03:54 PM']Do you think a 1x10 combo could cut it in a gig, or am I falling victim to optimistic advertising?[/quote]

No and yes, sadly. With PA support then a good 1x12" may get you by but only if you don't want much bottom from it. 2x10" or 1x15" is more likely to be effective. Without PA support then double that. It really does depend on how considerate your guitarist and drummer are but the words heavyish and rock suggest you'll struggle to get a good sound from any sub 30lbs rig.

Alex

I don't know any places that supply guitar backline these days! I've never seen one at all - I've got about 15 years of gigging under my belt.

I think a 1x10 won't be enough to be honest.

The right 1x15 probably would be - there was a Mark Bass 1x15 Jeff Berlin combo on sale here - might still be.

I use a Mark Bass Little Mark 2 head and a 2x10 cab. Very light and plenty of volume. I angle the front of the cab upwards with a bit of old wood!

I use a Little Mark II with a Schroeder 1212r. More than enough power for live use, I played a large sized venue last night using borrowed bass bins (which were not up to scratch at all) and the rig did all the work and never complained. I think i paid £397 for the head and £360 for the cab second hand.
The Schroeder has an angled 12" speaker that, if you stand the cab on it's end, fires straight up at you while the other one points forwards.

Bear in mind that you can't predict what will happen in a live situation, if one of the bass bins blows or part of the PA goes down you might have to depend more on your backline than you first planned. It's happened to me more than once and i was glad i had 500w behind me instead of 250w.

Alternatively you could mosey on down to sunny Blackpool and buy my Hartke stack.............. :)

I'd be wary of the Kickback combos as they're made in China now and have some quality control issues. My housemate has the 15" USA one though and it's excellent, clear and punchy but also sounds huge

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='alexclaber' post='277961' date='Sep 5 2008, 04:05 PM']What do you use for rehearsals?

Alex[/quote]

Good question. We've only ever had one (since then I've been recording new bass parts for the band's otherwise already recorded album) - it was some kind of combo - 1x12 I think, but I'm not sure what make or how many watts it produced.
I'll pay more attention next time. :)

Edited by Earbrass

• 2 weeks later...

So...thanks to a lucky break on ebay (using BuyItNow just 8 minutes after the auction had started) I now have a MarkBass CMD 121P combo. Mint condition, 6 months old, with a cover. The chap who sold it said he'd used it some medium sized pubs and had never had the volume above the 10 o'clock mark. Judging from these and other remarks I've seen here and elsewhere on the web, and WalMan's excellent review of the similar CMD 121H on this very site (http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5484), I think this will provide enough oomph for my needs.

Just under 30lb in weight, and £600 delivered. Result! :)

Just have to hope we ever get a gig now...

Excellent score.

I've had the same combo now for a while and it's seen quite a few gigs. You'll be amazed at how these tiny little things kick out so much volume.
Plus, due on the market this month from Markbass is a specially designed 1 x 12 extension cab for this little beastie which I might just buy. Then it will give you the full 500 watts.

Good luck with the new band and the new gear!

Frank

[quote name='simon1964' post='286536' date='Sep 18 2008, 11:58 AM']+1 for the Jeff Berlin. It would be ideal, and the one for sale on here is at a good price.[/quote]

I did look into that option, but decided that 46lb + is just toooo heavy for a 9 stone weakling like me.

Thanks for the thought anyway. And thanks to machinehead for the CMD 121P solidarity - perhaps we should start a club :) .