Why become a member? ×

Which Audio Interface?

xgsjx

5 hours ago, Switch625 said:

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting the Focusrite 2i4 as my first audio interface and first step into home recording. Not that I have any creative ideas, but I feel it could motivate me to play more and get the creative juices flowing. Or it could just be another toy that gets used once and put away!

I was considering the 2i2 but I also want to use it for guitar and apparently that suffers from clipping issues which is resolved in the 2i4. My only concern is the Amazon reviews that state the Windows drivers are a P.I.T.A to get working correctly. Hoping it won't be a problem as I've only got a Windows laptop and no Mac.

You won't have any clipping issues on the 2i2 if you're purchasing a 2nd Gen version (there shouldn't be any 1st Gens at dealers anyway).
You should also be absolutely fine with the driver on Windows, there are of course some other programs that can sometimes mess with things, but if you should have any difficulties at all, just give our UK based tech support a call and they'll have you sorted in no time at all :)

Cheers

Si // Focusrite Media Relations

Edited by Sibob
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Briton said:

I have an Audient iD14 which I am well happy with. I had a Focusrite 2i4 first generation which developed numerous faults mainly pops and crackles even though it was set up right. The Audient has better sound quality and a great controller which is non existant on the Focusrite 2i4 1st generation.I don't think you get a control panel even with the 2nd generation Focusrite 2i4, you have to fork out more for the 6i6 or higher.

Sorry you had some problems with the 2i4, pops and clicks in audio are typically an issue with a given driver and the specific setup of the PC. Usually a call to our Technical Support results in any issues being solved (there are some 'usual suspects' for causes of pops and clicks in audio on Windows).
In any case, obviously you're happy with your setup now, which is great, but I'd argue that the iD14 is a very different beast to the 2i4, it's a 10in/4out interface, and so controller software for routing custom mixes etc is more necessary. The 2i4 is 2in/4out and so has no real use for controller software everything is on the front panel.

Cheers

Edited by Sibob

11 hours ago, Sibob said:

You won't have any clipping issues on the 2i2 if you're purchasing a 2nd Gen version (there shouldn't be any 1st Gens at dealers anyway).
You should also be absolutely fine with the driver on Windows, there are of course some other programs that can sometimes mess with things, but if you should have any difficulties at all, just give our UK based tech support a call and they'll have you sorted in no time at all :)

Cheers

That's good to know, thanks!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sibob said:

Cheers

In all honesty I think working in Focusrite Tech Support should be the easiest job in the world, those products are made with such quality that I don't think they might have too much to do. I even help a friend record some stuff with his 1st gen 2i2 and I can't say I found a problem with it. 

I got an old Saffire 6 which I absolutely love, so easy to install and still records with no issues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Switch625 said:

That's good to know, thanks!

I have a 2nd gen 2i2 I bought from here recently. I only used it to give Helix Native a trial run and now I don't have much use for it, I can plug in my PJB Bighead if I ever want to record any clips. I was going to list it for sale here soon at the same price I paid, so PM me if interested!

@Sibob - I registered the unit on the Focusrite site to get hold of all the software that comes with it (which I never got around to installing) - would there be any issues with a new owner registering the same serial?

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I have a 2nd gen 2i2 I bought from here recently. I only used it to give Helix Native a trial run and now I don't have much use for it, I can plug in my PJB Bighead if I ever want to record any clips. I was going to list it for sale here soon at the same price I paid, so PM me if interested!

@Sibob - I registered the unit on the Focusrite site to get hold of all the software that comes with it (which I never got around to installing) - would there be any issues with a new owner registering the same serial?

No problem at all, just make sure you give the bundle code to the person who purchases it.

If they have any issues at all with the bundle code, tell them to contact Tech Support and they’ll sort them out :)

Cheers

3 hours ago, Mcgiver69 said:

In all honesty I think working in Focusrite Tech Support should be the easiest job in the world, those products are made with such quality that I don't think they might have too much to do. I even help a friend record some stuff with his 1st gen 2i2 and I can't say I found a problem with it. 

I got an old Saffire 6 which I absolutely love, so easy to install and still records with no issues.

Very kind words, and whilst I appreciate the sentiment, I will say that they’re very hard working :). They’re always having to keep on top of all the little tweaks and changes that Microsoft and Apple invariably force upon everyone haha. Lots of hard work behind the scenes.

But thanks again :)

I bit the bullet and went for the 2i4 which was delivered yesterday. Just need to set up my laptop and get familiar with some DAW software now. I'm thinking of jumping straight into Reaper rather than Ableton Lite. Can't wait to have a play around with it all :D

13 minutes ago, Switch625 said:

I bit the bullet and went for the 2i4 which was delivered yesterday. Just need to set up my laptop and get familiar with some DAW software now. I'm thinking of jumping straight into Reaper rather than Ableton Lite. Can't wait to have a play around with it all :D

Of the two, it really depends what you're looking to do. More clip-based electronic music, or live looping/triggering etc, Ableton is unparalleled, it is genuinely excellent. However whilst it is very capable of 'standard' audio tracking, Reaper is much more akin to the classic 'Logic' and 'GarageBand' visual, so probably a bit more intuitive straight up.
You also get Pro Tools First with your 2i4, so that's another option, although I'm personally not a fan.

I've been a Logic guy for the past 15 years, and there I'll stay haha.

Cheers
Si