Why become a member? ×

I need a stiffer knob

OldGit

Does anyone make a volume pot with a stiffer action?
I keep hitting mine on my jazz bass and turning myself down .. I could use a notched one like a trace amp volume knob is it comes to that but I'd prefer a smother action ..
Cheers
OG

The obvious double entendres are available
Just ask and I'll give you one ...

:)

[quote name='Prosebass' post='277906' date='Sep 5 2008, 03:17 PM']I am led to believe Thai ones will get you stiff. (I think the brand is Love you long time Jonny)

Bargain at $20.00

Seriously though, I'll have a rummage in my workshop for you. oh er misses[/quote]

Thanks matey!
Not sure if its a 250 or 500 but I can have a look if you have a stiffy

I think the Long Felt Want option may lead somewhere too with arubber johnniw washer or neoprene one or nylon or something .. Got me thinking anyway ..

No Joy

all the so called "expensive " pots seem little different to cheap chinese offerings.
The stiffest I have are balance pots at 500k with a center detent but they are very deep.
I think the felt idea is a good one with the addition of a self adhesive circular pad under it. Something like thick selotape or sticky back plastic to protect the wood / paint in case some grit gets in there.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='277935' date='Sep 5 2008, 03:39 PM']No Joy

all the so called "expensive " pots seem little different to cheap chinese offerings.
The stiffest I have are balance pots at 500k with a center detent but they are very deep.
I think the felt idea is a good one with the addition of a self adhesive circular pad under it. Something like thick selotape or sticky back plastic to protect the wood / paint in case some grit gets in there.[/quote]

Hey thanks for looking .. Yeah the single most significant difference between chinese pots and CTS pots is teh pricetag in my experience (and that of a number of luthiers I know ...)

I'll get out my sticky back plastic, felt and acrid smelling craft glue then :)

• 2 weeks later...

ok, just picked up on this thread a bit late. There is a type of grease you can get called Kilopoise. It comes in various grades of "stiffness" or viscosity, if you like. In its thinner form it is used to make rotating parts feel really smooth (think of SLR camera lenses) and take up play in parts where the tolerances are quite slack.

A small amount applied to your shaft will make it considerably stiffer.

It doesn't dry out either. It is made by Rocol.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, MBA

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='283685' date='Sep 14 2008, 02:43 PM']ok, just picked up on this thread a bit late. There is a type of grease you can get called Kilopoise. It comes in various grades of "stiffness" or viscosity, if you like. In its thinner form it is used to make rotating parts feel really smooth (think of SLR camera lenses) and take up play in parts where the tolerances are quite slack.

A small amount applied to your shaft will make it considerably stiffer.

It doesn't dry out either. It is made by Rocol.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, MBA[/quote]

Thanks for that I'll give the low tech felt a go first
:) May steal a cymball felt washer thing from my drummer when he's not looking :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='OldGit' post='283729' date='Sep 14 2008, 04:04 PM']Thanks for that I'll give the low tech felt a go first
:) May steal a cymball felt washer thing from my drummer when he's not looking :huh:[/quote]

Couple of layers of soft felt under the volume knob worked a treat ...
Thanks!