Why become a member? ×

BC bass weight obsession

chevy-stu

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1444333900' post='2882408']
This has happened to me too. I had the option to sit or stand on a choir gig. I got tired of standing so I sat on a stool. The bass was a perfectly reasonable weight (4.2kg/8.25lb) but it cut of the blood supply to my right leg! Had to stand up again :rolleyes:
[/quote]
[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1444371277' post='2882580']
You use local conversion rates in Swindon?

:lol:
[/quote]

Oops! That should read [size=5]4.2kg/[b]9[/b].25lb! [size=4](1kg = 2.2lb for everyday purposes.)[/size][/size]

Well spotted Jack.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1444376879' post='2882624']
Surely how a bass balances is equally important? :blink: :unsure:
[/quote]

Probably more so. A neck-heavy bass will need fretting-hand support, which may exacerbate discomfort in the shoulder.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1444377174' post='2882631']
Equally? I don't think so.

Important, yes, but you can't argue with gravity. A 5Kg bass is still 5Kgs regardless of how well it balances, and it will exert the same pressure on your lower back etc.
[/quote]

Absolutely. What I should have said was that sometimes a heavier bass can feel lighter than it actually is if it's balanced well, and a light one can feel poor because it ends up being neck heavy.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1444407482' post='2883070']
It's all relative. Bass is by no means the heaviest instrument. For example, my tenor banjo is 12 Kg.
[/quote]

Hah, that's nothing. You should have felt the weight of my dad's Hammond Organ with 3 octave concave pedal board and a pair of Leslie speakers. You wouldn't want to wear that lot on a strap for too long!

• 2 weeks later...

Well there's interesting... Finally got round to weighing my Wals (after nigh on 15-20 years of playing them!). Both were about 10.2 lb/4.6kg - neither of which have ever seemed unduly heavy or unbalanced to me provided they've got a nice wide, comfy leather strap attached. Then, I weighed my Aria SB700 (my first ever bass). It was also almost exactly the same weight.

So I guess the moral of the story for me is that I've never known any different. 10 lbs is just what a bass weighs in my experience! Thank heavens for a wide leather strap and a good osteopath, though!

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1445780262' post='2894074']
3 situations in normal life where you'll be asked about the weight of something:

1. Catching a fish
2. Having a baby
3. Buying/selling a bass
[/quote]

No-one buying a stone of potatoes any more..? :huh:

:lol:

What a bizarre thread.

There are umpteen reasons why the weight of a bass may be very important to people. For me, I have found a bass's tone to be very much linked with its weight, and as such as a general rule I don't like super lightweight basses, so I tend to go as heavy as my back will allow. I have happily played a 13lb Warwick, and have been disappointed with a 7lb Warwick. I am sure there are others who are like me, and equally I am sure there are others who think the opposite and light basses sound 'better'. I am sure there are people who would also say weight has no impact on tone. And of course, there is the most common reason in that people who have issues with their back simply cannot play basses over 9lb. All quite simple really.

For me, there is nothing 'baffling' at all about people asking about the weight of an instrument.

No, but true to form , we like to obsess about this sort of stuff and make sure the whole world (or BC) knows about it.

We even have endless threads about our amps and cabs...and if that isn't enough, we have the same one all over
again in 2 weeks time...and so on..!! :lol::lol:

I've tried to keep out of this one but here is another can of worms!! :blink: :blink:

Does anyone agree with me? :blush:

I have plenty to have a go at and have the benefit of being able to do a back to back (no pun intended)
assement of a lot of basses (and guitars) in the same time period and this is my experience.

For me, it isn't just about the weight - it's the balance and the way it hangs - where your hands fall comfortably.

This is the honest truth (for me) if you choose to believe it or not.

I have heavier basses that balance well which give me no trouble and yet there are some, that are lighter,
that don't balance so well that cause me some discomfort, after a while.
I think ergonomics/balance/posture trying to play it, have as much to do as the weight.

Anyone else have the same thoughts?

Cheers. :)

[quote name='chevy-stu' timestamp='1443021468' post='2871536']
I'm relatively new here, but one thing that seems to stand out and I don't get is what seems like many forum members concerns about the weight of a bass.

I've been playing bass for 37 years, and regularly gigging for most of this, been a pro for nearly 20 years, gigging 3-4 times a at week on average, and never once has it ever crossed my mind what a bass might weigh, unless it's flight cased for taking on a plane, or shipping.
I appreciate some people have back problems and then a particularly heavy 6 stringer may prove to be an issue.
I've owned and lugged some stupidly heavy gear over the years, along with PA etc.... and I went lightweight amp wise myself about 3 years ago, but bass weight never occurred to me, I just don't get it.

Can someone explain.. :mellow:
[/quote]

I have back issues. Usually I'm okay, and you wouldn't know about it... when it goes though, I can be out of action, doubled up in extreme pain, unable to move for as long as six weeks... I treat my back with some respect.

My old Stingray was about 9 and a half pounds... it was a phenomenal bass but I could play it for maybe quarter of an hour before I felt uncomfortable...

My Yamaha bass weighs about six pounds and I can play it forever... a bit uninspiring though.

My Fender Jazz weighs about 7 and a half pounds... I can play it for a lot longer than the Stingray, but not as long as the Yamaha. I like the Fender fine... I rarely play long enough for it to be an issue.

When I go into a guitar shop I don't ask for the weights of the instruments because I can feel how heavy they are.

This really isn't worth five pages is it?

Wide straps, padded straps, etc. don't make any difference to me. Strength is also not the problem.