Why become a member? ×

BC bass weight obsession

chevy-stu

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1443286587' post='2873608']
I don't quite understand a couple of these recent comments.

I don't mind admitting my frame is on the large side, and for quite a few years now, when doing a gig with a 9lb bass, I start to struggle during the second set. If I use a 7lb bass, I have no problems at all.

It's not complicated...
[/quote]

Don't take it personally mate. I'm glad you know what's best for you. I also know what's best for me personally, and that is to lose a couple of stone instead of a couple of hours sleep every night due to compressed discs.
I just stopped blaming my own situation on my bass.
We're all different aren't we?

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1443288163' post='2873623']
Don't take it personally mate. I'm glad you know what's best for you. I also know what's best for me personally, and that is to lose a couple of stone instead of a couple of hours sleep every night due to compressed discs.
I just stopped blaming my own situation on my bass.
We're all different aren't we?
[/quote]

I'm doing that as well (have been for years with no luck - ha ha) but.. even if I wasn't, why is using a lighter bass to ease any pain such an odd concept?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1443288591' post='2873626']

I'm doing that as well (have been for years with no luck - ha ha) but.. even if I wasn't, why is using a lighter bass to ease any pain such an odd concept?
[/quote]
Erm, it's not. I agree with you. I've needed to do it myself. Sorry if I've confused you there .
I'm tired and I'm going now.

I wouldn't call myself fat so don't go there. My BC handle is as a result of a nickname my band mates gave me (admittedly 30 years ago)..I digress.

It's not so much my back that hurts. It's my left shoulder. Hang a 10lb bass off it for 2hours plus and it aches...for the last half hour of the set I cease concentrating on my playing and just want to get it off and get back to the dressing room.
With a 7-8lb bass happy to play 3 encores and an extra half hour.

Edited by Twigman

Like others I have also wondered why this can be such an obsession in the forum world. Notwithstanding back problems where of course the bass weight must be suitable to fit with them... I've never really considered weight as an issue either. Even for 3 x 50 min set covers gigs.

Then again, I've always gone for good quality leather straps to distribute the weight. Currently 4" Italia Leather ones. It just makes (ergonomic and engineering) sense to me. It's also seen me through some back issues and chiro treatment too.

I recall a conversation with a guitarist chum who has invested time and money on a fairly weighty Steinberger (the ones with the bodies), refurbish it and making it Roland VG ready. He was bemoaning the weight and how it killed his shoulder. I pointed out that he was using a 1 1/2 inch cheap nylon webbing strap and suggested he borrow a spare 3" Levys leathers one I had. It had never occurred to him that a decent strap might answer his problem. That will work for some, but not for others. Thus is life.

I personally love a substantial bass but there are plenty of great lightweight options too. I played a hollow Reverend today at the bash which was light as a feather, played beautifully and sounded amazing. It looked dead cool too. The polar opposite of my basses and one I would never have sought out but wonderful in all its differences!

[quote name='chevy-stu' timestamp='1443021468' post='2871536']
I'm relatively new here, but one thing that seems to stand out and I don't get is what seems like many forum members concerns about the weight of a bass.

[/quote]

Well, that's great news, given that concerns about weight are usually driven by health issues - bad backs, bad ankles and so on.

I sincerely hope that it never becomes an issue for you...but for those who do have such problems it has an import what you, thankfully, don't need to concern yourself with.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1443286587' post='2873608']
I don't quite understand a couple of these recent comments.

I don't mind admitting my frame is on the large side, and for quite a few years now, when doing a gig with a 9lb bass, I start to struggle during the second set. If I use a 7lb bass, I have no problems at all.

It's not complicated...
[/quote]

It is a general comment as I've no idea who is overweight and to what degree.
But IMO.. and as one who has prolapsed disks, these things can be managed,
and the first start should be to have an excercise regime to keep the back in
reasonable mobile order to maintain core. Taking off a beer gut would help the
core massively, IMO.
As above, body weight loss would be the first thing, with a good core, and altho
a lb off a bass may help the shoulders more than anything else, taking the strain
off your back should start with a lack of a gut. THAT isn't complicated either :lol:

[quote name='bcbass' timestamp='1443301712' post='2873764']
Exercise is key for any body problem.Daily 10-15 min. boost yours mussels enough to keep body in good shape.
But,laziness is major favourite.
[/quote]

Really, thanks Doctor? I think they're best poached in white wine, cream and garlic.
Served with crusty bread is a major favorite.

I've no idea about the weights of my basses, tbh... and I wouldn't say I'm oblivious or can afford to be, about all things heavy.
I think it is far more about the moving and twisting which is why I would struggle with loads in etc...
but I do have two rigs for that. One is worth the weight for the tone... but only at certain load-ins...and the other
is a quest to get close to that with the compromises that I've come across.
It depends where you make your compromises and for me... I wouldn't rule out a great sounding bass over a lb or two.

I wouldn't be taking 3 set gigs either tbh.. YMMV

The trouble is that having a 'bad back' is a kind of catchall term for a whole raft of issues with different root causes. Some of which are alleviated by wearing a lighter bass, some evidently not. But it is worth repeating that bass weight isn't an issue until it becomes an issue - and when it does you will know about it.

I have a weak sacro-iliac joint - still a 'bad back' but unrelated directly to discs. For some years it was an acute problem popping up maybe twice a year but then winter 09/10 I damaged it clearing snow and it has become a permanent fixture. I have spent the last 5 years strengthening my core muscles at the gym and this has helped a lot. But I would say it is also completely unrelated to my body weight, as I have oscillated between 13 stone and 17 stone whilst afflicted. Currently just about 15st. Fat or thinner (though never slim...:) ) I still pay for using a bass over 9lbs the day after a gig or rehearsal so, for me, that is that. And I guess for those suffering with shoulder pain 'packing a bit of timber' is an irrelevance.

As for lightweight basses themselves I don't see the link between tone and weight. I have a mid 80s 32" scale MIJ Squier Precision that has the best tone of any Precision I have ever picked up and it weighs 7.5lbs. Lucky me. You've just got to kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince.

Edited by Paul S

I do not have a bad back but cannot see why I should settle for a heavy bass if I can get an equal tone in a lighter bass. My Stingray V is a heavy beast, but I enjoy the tone, the Dingwall Z1 V I tried the other day is lighter and sounds no worse; funds allowing, I would have the Z1.

Life's too short for boat anchors... :D

I've found basses that sound the way I want without weighing more than 8 1/2 lbs, I'm happy. It's a purchasing factor, like any other - if it's important to you, then it's important, and no more an 'obsession' than liking maple boards (or rosewood boards) or Fenders, or whatever.

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1443567949' post='2875901']
Not the basses that did my back in , it was the heavy rigs , thank goodness for lightweight cabs we have now
[/quote]

It's surprising how many people who extol the virtues of lightweight basses hump around gargantuan valve amps and 8 x 10 cabinets.

I'm with the OP on this - being concerned about the weight of instruments had never crossed my mind until reading about it on bass forums. I have come across one or two very obviously heavy basses but most are within a pound and a half of each other in weight anyway. However I can see the issue for people with bad backs.

I suspect you only get a real choice if you're buying something that is very plentiful in shops or are willing to shell out a lot of money until you find the "right" one. Something most people wouldn't do if ordering a Stingray, Custom Shop Fender or Alembic, say.

I have found there is another issue with light Basses. I recently bought a USA Sub Stingray 5 which is extremely light - however I suspect the weight difference is in the body - and as a result it has chronic neck dive when playing seated - compare with my ash SR5 which is heavier and balances better - however on a strap both are fine - the SUB is more comfortable on a long set though.

Edited by drTStingray

Personally I've never found a bass too heavy but then I've had a 60+lb toolbag hanging off my left shoulder for years.

I do have trouble with Sciatica, interestingly it only flares up when I've been standing or walking for long periods of time carrying NO weight on my shoulder.
So in my case the back muscles need to be working,I've shoulder straps fitted to the toolbelt too so the weight's not hanging round my waist.

I'm not suggesting running around with a cement bag to tone up but atrophy is common with unused muscles and might explain the need for lighter and lighter basses
with some folk.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1443572265' post='2875914']

I'm not suggesting running around with a cement bag to tone up but atrophy is common with unused muscles and might explain the need for lighter and lighter basses
with some folk.
[/quote]

OK, I get it. Back trouble is caused by your bass not being heavy enough. :mellow: