Why become a member? ×

FS/FT: Ampeg B-15 Heritage immaculate condition **SOLD**
£2000

Beedster

Around one year old, US made, in immaculate condition and probably not even played in properly yet (still have original box and hang-tags). Not a lot of description needed I guess, but some details here [url="http://www.ampeg.com/products/heritage/b-15n/."]http://www.ampeg.com...eritage/b-15n/.[/url] If vintage tube tone is your thing, this amp is one of the stops on life's journey :)

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_5268_zpssxkk8dj9.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/IMG_5275_zpskrf79wng.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Badass' timestamp='1443017478' post='2871482']
[b]Beedster[/b], has some many other things for sale I also want. Think I may even hate him a little ;)
[/quote]

A tad harsh :)

Wish I wasn't selling it really, I bought it to replace my V4B rig which is tonally perfect but a little too big for my purposes. Luckily I never got around to selling that so at least I'll retain some Ampeg tubes around the place :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1443029680' post='2871684']
A tad harsh :)

Wish I wasn't selling it really, I bought it to replace my V4B rig which is tonally perfect but a little too big for my purposes. Luckily I never got around to selling that so at least I'll retain some Ampeg tubes around the place :)
[/quote]

I'm only jealous ;)

[quote name='mxm' timestamp='1443719918' post='2877179']
Luscious piece of kit. These are glorious just to sit and stare at.
[/quote]

They are indeed, I can look at it for hours. When I plug in my DB though, that's when the real magic happens, I don't know how or why, but it just sounds stunning :)

When I tried all the P Bass in GuitardGuitard when I was choosing mine I played them all through this. it was amazing. Everything sounded brilliant. Should have heard the Nate Mendel through it. Amazing. My P American Special really suited it well. No way I will ever be able to afford anything like this.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1443724566' post='2877228']
When I tried all the P Bass in GuitardGuitard when I was choosing mine I played them all through this. it was amazing. Everything sounded brilliant. Should have heard the Nate Mendel through it. Amazing. My P American Special really suited it well. No way I will ever be able to afford anything like this.
[/quote]

What these things do to bass tone is quite special and hard to describe. What they do to electrics is quite well documented. I find it's with DB that it really excels; I've always found the E string on DBs particularly problematic to amplify, but through this it just sounds sublime, to the point that I actually change well-learned patterns to allow me to drop on to the E as often as possible.

And if I get good news when my DB goes to DB hospital next week, this will be staying put :)

One thing is for sure, if I owned a bass shop, I'd make every customer play their prospective basses through one of these!

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1443985701' post='2879258']
Always wanted one of these Chris, but sadly I couldn't lift one now.
[/quote]

Trust me Keith, it's a lot lighter than my old Phil Jones rig, and actually quite a lot smaller :)

Hope all's well mate

C

I've got one of these original '64 cabs complete with dolly (minus original speaker) in the back of my garage.

I've been on the look out for an amp to go with it for about 25 years

The guy I got it from threw the amp out as he thought it was too old technology!

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1444255483' post='2881728']
Can you please stop bumping this, I don't need reminding that it's still available!! :gas:
[/quote]

Ha ha, bit too recently manufactured for you I'd say Rick :)

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1444258687' post='2881755']
I've got one of these original '64 cabs complete with dolly (minus original speaker) in the back of my garage.

I've been on the look out for an amp to go with it for about 25 years

The guy I got it from threw the amp out as he thought it was too old technology!
[/quote]

Damn, that's a shocker! Let me know if you fancied selling the cab Keith, I quite like the idea of the new and (theoretically) reliable head in one of the old boxes, and '64 is something of a landmark year for me anyway :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1444291365' post='2881848']
Ha ha, bit too recently manufactured for you I'd say Rick :)
[/quote]

I do like the originals, but having played one of these last year, I fell in love, craved one ever since, incredible things, and almost identical, uber cool looks plus all the reliability of a modern piece, stunning, all you'll ever need.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1444339095' post='2882476']
I do like the originals, but having played one of these last year, I fell in love, craved one ever since, incredible things, and almost identical, uber cool looks plus all the reliability of a modern piece, stunning, all you'll ever need.
[/quote]

Yep, that's why I bought it Rick. I've owned amps and cabs that made a quantitative difference to tone - PJB to my ear is quantitatively better than Markbass for example - but the B-15 is qualitatively different, it's in a completely different league to anything else I've ever owned or played through (possible exception being other B-15s of course). Nothing I've owned has flattered an instrument the way this does, and that's not just electric basses, DB sounds incredible as well, it seems to add some real magic to the tone, almost like I'm, playing a £100k instrument as opposed to a £1k one! I'm pretty sure that when I next record DB I'll be doing so through this with a mic on the cab as opposed to on the instrument (unless someone buys it of course!).

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1444339857' post='2882485']
What's with the two channels and the two bias?
[/quote]

They replicate the circuits of the '64 and '66 models respectively Sean, '66 is much nicer to my ear, slightly fuller and rounder. Others prefer the '64.

• 3 months later...

Thanks Martin

Folks, I'm building a studio at present so am happy to consider a cash sale or a trade for gear that I can use in the studio. I've got the obvious stuff (pres, mixer, mics etc) but am happy to consider other stuff. As it's going to be as much a fun music place for my kids as a more serious place for me and the grown ups, my bandwidth for gear is quite wide. I thought I'd never say it but I'd quite like a decent electric drum kit (if the kids are playing drums I'd like to be able to turn them down). Also interested in mics, any acoustic instruments, keyboards, I need a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]low power but high quality guitar amp, and Gibson acoustic guitars will always interest me [/font][/color] :)

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Tripehound' timestamp='1453068210' post='2956168']
I know this is all about tone but, without wishing to appear vulgar, how would this fare in a moderately noisy four piece band in a live environment?
[/quote]

Not vulgar at all mate. The answer, somewhat predictably, is that It would depend entirely on what type of band, what type of tone you're after, what type of environment, and whether you want to have close to £3,500 worth of amp on stage. It's rated at 25w, but they're old watts and it's surprisingly loud for that rating. Playing blues/pop/classic rock it'll happily cope with a moderately solid drummer, but if you're playing metal or similar it's never going to do SVT/fridge volume. You're very welcome to try it out?

Chris

EDIT

Having gigged it last night I can now say with some confidence that it is a VERY loud amp :)

Edited by Beedster