Why become a member? ×

RickenFakers

Happy Jack

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1471818320' post='3116182']
Somewhere - - within these pages, I thought - - a set of pickups was mentioned that was a lot cheaper than the Seymour Duncans, and which performed very well.
Anyone able to tell which pickups these may have been? I trawled the thread without finding them myself.
IMS they were 150 quid or Mercan bucks per set.

The point here is my Rockinbetter wants two new pickups for its birthday, and as a proud dad, I wish to oblige.
Though I seem to remember one the the original pickups in the Rockinbetter does not need being exchanged, and at any rate, I suppose the bridge pup placement on the Rockinbetter would ruin it for even an original Rickenbacker bridge pickup?

If anyone has any advice, it's received with gratitude.

On another note, the pickup switch doesn't work or one of the pickups doesn't.
Any experience about this as to Rockinbetters? Would it often be a case of dismantling the switch and cleansing it, or would one normally exchange it? Or do experiences with Rockinbetters teach us that it's normally the pickup itself that is faulty?
I can of course investigate everything, but a quick heads up might save me some time by starting with the most common source of error.

Thanks for any info!
[/quote]

I had the selector switch issue with my Rockinbetter 4003s tribute.
Replaced it with Switchcraft. Also jack socket replaced with Switchcraft.

Personally, I find the "s" version of tributes and the real thing much easier to play fingerstyle. The Rockinbetter has a much more functional bridge than the real thing though!
The contoured top is so much more forgiving on the wrist, than the binding, sharp slab top. The real 4004C11 is even easier for fingerstyle :D .

[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/001_zpszuqggypo.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/002_zpslv2lbzpa.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/008_zpssecxxy72.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by karlfer

Thanks, guys!

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1471852842' post='3116273']
Are you in the Rickenfakers facebook group?
[/quote]

I am now!
Karl too had sent me there, and I'm trying to find out how fb groups work before asking my questions there.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1471978615' post='3117448']
Have a look at [url="http://www.retrovibe.co.uk/parts/pickups.html"]http://www.retrovibe...ts/pickups.html[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks, Skybone! That seems like incredible value.
The Seymour Duncans are 150 quid a piece in Norway - slightly over budget I might add. :-)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1472710909' post='3123434']
I had the selector switch issue with my Rockinbetter 4003s tribute.
Replaced it with Switchcraft. Also jack socket replaced with Switchcraft.

Personally, I find the "s" version of tributes and the real thing much easier to play fingerstyle. The Rockinbetter has a much more functional bridge than the real thing though!
The contoured top is so much more forgiving on the wrist, than the binding, sharp slab top. The real 4004C11 is even easier for fingerstyle :D .
[/quote]

Thanks again, Karl!
So I'll start with the switch then. Are these standard, or must I measure my own to get the right dimensions?

You also taught me something else. I had no idea S versions even existed in Rockinbetter guise.
Yeah, that binding is quite unforgiving, innit. Of the 16 basses I've owned, this one is the worst in that respect. Then again, you just don't go on stage and play "Siberian Khatru" on a cricket bat whilst being short and fat and bald...

Wait! :o
:blush:

The "S" versions are quite hard to find.

They are going to be even harder as the importer of Rockinbetter has been told to "cease and desist". He's flogged his last remaining stock to several retailers in the UK, at cut prices. Presumably to get as much back as he can, quickly.

Selector switch and jack socket are both just standard Switchcraft on mine, however if you have the two sockets on your bass, just ask on the FB page. Somebody will help you.

On Facebook, you will see some little boxes at the top of the page.
Hit the "start conversation" button and carry on. :D Don't be afraid of asking dumb questions, everybody does :lol: .
Enjoy.

Edited by karlfer

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Freddy Le Cragg' timestamp='1476009145' post='3150354']
I came within a gnat's crotchet of buying a Rockinbetter yesterday. They had them in Fair Deal in Brum for 399. The black one i tried seemed to be a decent bass for the money.
[/quote]

Have they got many in there Freddy? I'm in town today, I might pop in...

• 1 month later...

Today is a good day. After a year waiting for the right one to come along, I have just today acquired a lovely used Rockinbetter in Fireglo.

It's band practise tomorrow so I can't wait to give a good old blast at volume! I'll post some pics later.

At home and plugged in. Sounds savage, especially the back pickup, pretty close to a Rickenbacker to my ears. Build quality very good. Previous owner liked a high action by the looks of it, but intonation is spot on with just a bit of fettling required. I'm very happy with it. It's heavy though, compared to my Stingray - not sure the old shoulders will cope for a two hour set!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of pics of my Shaftesbury. I had one back in my 1st spell of playing, back in the 80's
In my 2nd spell of playing, it took me a long time to get my hands on another
Wish it still had the original TRC. Though the replaced tuning keys are an improvement on the originals...

• ped unpinned this topic