Why become a member? ×

RickenFakers

Happy Jack

I believe [url="http://www.retrovibe.co.uk/"]Retrovibe[/url] do a 5-string version - these have MM type pickups as standard. For obvious reasons, they're not on the website so you'd have to contact David Konig directly for info.

Jon.

I have just received a modern faker from a well known person (as long as you know the page, the secret password and today's fish :ph34r: ;) :P ).
I posted a review on a certain social media page.
I will do an edited version of the review on here sometime next week, when I have received my new scratchplate and Rickenbugger (tm Jon Price :P ) TRC.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1455702999' post='2981527']
I have just received a modern faker from a well known person (as long as you know the page, the secret password and today's fish :ph34r: ;) :P ).
I posted a review on a certain social media page.
I will do an edited version of the review on here sometime next week, when I have received my new scratchplate and Rickenbugger (tm Jon Price :P ) TRC.
[/quote]

Seen the review and pictures Karl. Looks great.
Have you any experience of that gentleman's 5ers?

Edited by Len_derby

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1455702999' post='2981527']...and Rickenbugger (tm Jon Price :P ) TRC.
[/quote]

Call it what you want - but there's only [b]one[/b] Rickenbugger. Hail to the Queen, baby:

[url="http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/LanterneRouge/media/Rickenfakers/rbugupscale_zpsxytutrik.jpg.html"][/url]

I'm actually quite flattered. A lesser man might threaten legal action... :P :D

Seen your new toy on That Other Place. It's a beauty.

J.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1458404472' post='3007377']
Wow Karlfer, that's a great looking faker! The bridge is a great compromise between that of the original, er, inspiration and something a lot more practical. Same kind of shape but no chance of tail lift :-)
[/quote]

Yup, so obvious when you see it isn't it.

• 3 months later...

For some unknown reason, I have been looking into potential bridge replacements for my Fakers.

As my Faker has a 34" scale length, the bridge is a little further forward than a standard Ric, so a pattern Ric style bridge is out. There's the Hipshot Ric replacement bridge, but again, the saddles are further back to suit a Ric. There's the Badass style bridge, which IMO, doesn't look quite right on a Ric / Faker.

Anyone tried a replacement bridge on their Faker?

Are you on the [url="https://www.facebook.com/groups/78514186083/"]Rickenfakers FB group[/url]?

David (Retrovibe) Konig does a Rick-tailpiece styled bridge with standard BBOT - type saddles, and also does upgrade saddles for Chickenbacker tailpieces which allow proper individual string adjustment.

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhere - - within these pages, I thought - - a set of pickups was mentioned that was a lot cheaper than the Seymour Duncans, and which performed very well.
Anyone able to tell which pickups these may have been? I trawled the thread without finding them myself.
IMS they were 150 quid or Mercan bucks per set.

The point here is my Rockinbetter wants two new pickups for its birthday, and as a proud dad, I wish to oblige.
Though I seem to remember one the the original pickups in the Rockinbetter does not need being exchanged, and at any rate, I suppose the bridge pup placement on the Rockinbetter would ruin it for even an original Rickenbacker bridge pickup?

If anyone has any advice, it's received with gratitude.

On another note, the pickup switch doesn't work or one of the pickups doesn't.
Any experience about this as to Rockinbetters? Would it often be a case of dismantling the switch and cleansing it, or would one normally exchange it? Or do experiences with Rockinbetters teach us that it's normally the pickup itself that is faulty?
I can of course investigate everything, but a quick heads up might save me some time by starting with the most common source of error.

Thanks for any info!

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1471818320' post='3116182']

.......my Rockinbetter wants two new pickups for its birthday, and as a proud dad, I wish to oblige.
Though I seem to remember one the the original pickups in the Rockinbetter does not need being exchanged, and at any rate, I suppose the bridge pup placement on the Rockinbetter would ruin it for even an original Rickenbacker bridge pickup?

If anyone has any advice, it's received with gratitude.

Thanks for any info!
[/quote]

Hi Bass tractor,
Are you in the Rickenfakers facebook group? There always seems to be someone on there who knows about improvements and tweaking...... Also, is there someone nearer to you who is willing to hand-wind some pickups? Or perhaps re-wind / revive your pickups? I see you are nowehere near my neck of the woods (to say the least) but as an example, there's a guy 30 miles west of me who does custom hand-wound pickups or pickup re-winding / over-winding. Though I've not actually heard any of his pickups, people tell me they are excellent. Just wondered if there was anyone near you who could offer this service?

Good luck with it anyhow