Why become a member? ×

RickenFakers

Happy Jack

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1485638248' post='3225560']

....Incidentally, I've just had an idea: I wonder if it's possible to get holographic logos made; the ones which have one image if you look from one angle and a different one from another.
[/quote]

Now that would be neat! - I'm sure someone could do it :)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1485783826' post='3226629']
Now that would be neat! - I'm sure someone could do it :)
[/quote]
Something like "Rickenbacker"/"Rickenfaker" alternating.

Now, you can get cards & sometimes magazines which have them - I think I might keep an eye out for one and see if one might work for a background.

I had been thinking about having a guitar body painted in the dual-tone finish (like some TVRs) - maybe a deep blue and a deeper crimson.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1485773632' post='3226490']
Mine wasn't much more impressive. I was shocked at how much it went for, without complaint.

Jon - Bassasin - made me a new one from clear plastic and laser-printed paper for much less (you can see it in my avatar).
Holographic sounds fun though.
[/quote]
It looks good in the avatar.

I've sourced a bridge tailpiece, so that should be arriving next week.

I just need the treble pickup sorted now...

...whether to by or get the one I have repaired, or to try my hand at re-wiring (it's only something like 1200 turns using wire thinner and more fragile than a human hair, followed by a dip in some melted wax - what could possibly go wrong?).

And it has a Greco pickup in it.

I plugged it in last night and it sounds rather good; I use it in mono, but split the signal and route half straight through and half via effects - just a bit of crunch from a Boss OD pedal and I was there playing "Fragile".

I think I will get the bust treble one fixed anyway, though.

I've also taken the "R" word off the TRC, leaving clear plastic, and have to put something in its place.

I've had a bit of a bout of buying things, so I might have to offload this one before I start my next project.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1486908600' post='3235396']
This monstrosity is on ebay at the moment for £250 :-) made of "laminated" wood :-)
[/quote]
Calling it a monstrosity is too kind; this was never a good bass and never will be.

(I have to say though, that the idea sometimes appeals to me to get a really good bass made to look like one of these cheapos!)

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1486910566' post='3235422']
Calling it a monstrosity is too kind; this was never a good bass and never will be.

(I have to say though, that the idea sometimes appeals to me to get a really good bass made to look like one of these cheapos!)
[/quote]

Sh*t bass, let's paint it a sh*t colour :-)

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1486920065' post='3235524']
I wouldn't mind a Kay 20B, but I would be looking to pay about £50 for one and no more.
[/quote]

My first bass was a Kay - rick-ish shaped, rather than Rick copy I'd say....
I think I paid about £25 for it back in the 80's..... and sold it for about the same
It was truly, utterly dreadful. I'd say they aren't worth £50 even of Monopoly money
Trust me, don't buy one - They'd be firewood but the paint is probably full of nasty toxins

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1487075731' post='3236763']
My first bass was a Kay - rick-ish shaped, rather than Rick copy I'd say....
I think I paid about £25 for it back in the 80's..... and sold it for about the same
It was truly, utterly dreadful. I'd say they aren't worth £50 even of Monopoly money
Trust me, don't buy one - They'd be firewood but the paint is probably full of nasty toxins
[/quote]
Well, that's a glowing recommendation, isn't it!

Wahaay I got a video of me noodling around on the 'faker; scuse the scrappiness and the fact I probably murdered a couple of decent tunes, but that's just the way I play and I had no idea what I was going to do when I pressed Record!

[url="https://youtu.be/iQl9Ho-RUls"]https://youtu.be/iQl9Ho-RUls[/url]

Edited by prowla

• 2 weeks later...

Despite my initial excitement I'm finding I'm not using my Rockinbetter as much as I'd hoped; it's too heavy and the 34" scale is uncomfortable. Shame, as it sounds amazing.
The scale I can probably live with, the weight on my dodgy shoulder for a two hour gig I can't.
Maybe a comfort strap is the answer?

• ped unpinned this topic