Why become a member? ×

RickenFakers

Happy Jack

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1357053321' post='1916816']
Hondo 2, with some bizarre tuner butchery but otherwise looks quite tidy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1970S-RARE-BASS-GUITAR-/121044990316?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c2ed7f96c
[/quote]

It's a bit steep for a plywood job though isn't it? Good luck to him though if it doesn't get spotted by the Rickenwaffe.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1358586101' post='1941638']
You know that as soon as one gets posted in here it will be removed from eBay in a matter of hours right?
I believe the Rickenwaffen patrol this post pretty regularly now...
[/quote]
It's gone already!

Westminster was a US brand if I remember correctly, so they're not likely to be that common this side of the pond. I'd have to trawl the thread to see if Jon knew which factory it originated from though. :)

For what it's worth some of the auctions posted here do make it to completion, although obviously this thread isn't as busy as it used to be. RIC seem to do a fair job of patrolling ebay on their own, but the zealots on the Rick forums aren't slow to flag up auctions either.

Fair point. I'm not convinced that this forum is responsible, but I will hold off posting these until the listing is completed in future.

The downside to that of course is that posting something here might allow a basschatter interested in an auction to make contact with the seller before the ad gets pulled.

Yes maybe thats a good plan Oli. If someone wanted to let people know about one they've seen, get the sellers details first, then they could post it and details can be exchanged via PM.

I'm sure BC isn't the only source of this info, and eBay, TB etc are regularly patrolled - simply because they have to be seen to go after someone and they can't/won't go after the people that actually make the fakers... But now that BC is known, with a stickied thread no less its pretty easy to catch one that might have been missed...

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1358856579' post='1945997']
Yes maybe thats a good plan Oli. If someone wanted to let people know about one they've seen, get the sellers details first, then they could post it and details can be exchanged via PM.

I'm sure BC isn't the only source of this info, and eBay, TB etc are regularly patrolled - simply because they have to be seen to go after someone and they can't/won't go after the people that actually make the fakers... But now that BC is known, with a stickied thread no less its pretty easy to catch one that might have been missed...
[/quote]

You'd have to be careful with that one as I'm sure our friend John would read that as you "facilitating the sale". I dont think I'd want to be the one to see who blinked first.

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1358875423' post='1946412']
You'd have to be careful with that one as I'm sure our friend John would read that as you "facilitating the sale". I dont think I'd want to be the one to see who blinked first.
[/quote]
Yeah, but if its a PM nobody can see what you're saying so John can blink all he likes.

If you post a faker up here, its easy to see who the seller is while the auction is active, maybe post a link to the seller instead of the item, so if the item is removed, no problem... That way, Johnny gets to keep his patent intact by pursuing the seller of the inferior knock-off, and we don't have 103 pages of dead links :)

[quote name='Soloshchenko' timestamp='1359244085' post='1952170']

Did you ever do anything with the Hondo project I sold you in Preston mate?
[/quote]

I sorted it out and then flogged it on if I remember correctly, I can't remember too many basses too long ago!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/reddog7879/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/reddog7879/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686[/url] this chap has some interesting items...

• 2 weeks later...

Indie: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Indie-IRK-Bass-/330875205448?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4d09b2f748"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4d09b2f748[/url]

KAy: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Kay-Short-Scale-Bass-Guitar-/230930848377?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35c48d1a79

Edited by Mr. Foxen

There's also a black one in Hands Music in Kingston.

I'm wondering if Rickenbacker are using this thread to track copies. Both the Kay and the Indie are no longer listed. A TalkBass user posted about a letter he received from them about a Kay he listed this week. Probably the same one.

Edited by GAPendragon

They may well be, but they are probably scouring eBay daily looking for the usual suspects, Kay, Arbiter, Rockinbetter etc. etc.
Basschat cannot be seen to promote the sale of Rickenbacker copies either, so the posts on here are for information only. I would expect that they would be removed pretty swiftly after they are mentioned on here.

Rick certainly do scour ebay, and it's quite probable they save people with 'fakers to their favourite sellers list. I think it was Luke who was caught out with an ebay listing, and when eventually he relisted without any obvious keywords (or even pictures!) he received an email from JH accusing him of being devious. Ash had a similar experience as well.

You'd have thought he had better things to do with his time.

[quote name='davidlovellbass' timestamp='1361743018' post='1990244']
so how would I sell my faker if ebay is so strict?
[/quote]
Stick it on here, WITHOUT any photo's, referring to it as a copy of a "certain Bass" and send photo's by e-mail to any interested parties. Don't use the 'R' word. EVER. Failing that, stick it in your local Music Shop on a sale or return basis.