Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Helix.

fretmeister

I've got it running.

Only tried it with guitar at the moment but it sounds excellent. I have a great Zilla 2x12 with creambacks in it so I've turned off the cab sims at the moment.

The UI is fantastic. I printed off all 50 pages of the sodding manual and haven't needed anything more than the simple cheat sheet so far.

I'll try it with bass later on, after I've done all the software updates and downloaded the Beta PC editor.

I'm very impressed with it for bass.

The core amp sounds are very good and the ability to split paths is wonderful.

The existing drive pedals are not great for bass but Line 6 have an Ideascale page to let users vote for new features - I've put Darkglass pedal models on the list - now it just needs people to vote for them!

One of my favourite metal bass sounds is from Nolly's rig rundown.

I've got really close in the Helix with the GK amp model as the always on tone, and using the 5150 guitar amp in parallel for drive with a bit of careful EQ. Sounds excellent.

The latest version of the firmware and the PC or Mac based Helix app now has PC editor. It needs to be plugged into the unit (for DSP calculations apparently) but it is very handy and prevents bending or squatting for setting changes! It's also dead easy to use for setting up set lists if I need specific sounds for specific songs.

Very impressed with it!

It's a cracker!

I put some flats on a P bass yesterday and set up a B-15 sort of tone. Sounds brilliant.

I'm getting close to the sound of my SVP-BSP too. Using a SVT as the clean always on, then a lower gain setting on the 5150 - but with a clean blended fuzz in front of just the 5150.

I still need to do some EQ tweaking, but it's close enough to use as it is. I'm just picky!

When I saw the price tag it made me wince a little (even for the floor unit) but after a bit of thought I realised that I'd probably spent close to a grand on pedals over the years, so it didn't seem so outrageous after all.

The other thing that has interested me is the ability to configure it into "four cable" mode so you can use the pre-amp and power-amp section of your amp separately. If you wanna mess around with different amp models you can bypass your amps' pre section and just go straight into the power amp. Or use the pre-amp but add modulation in the chain. Or run an external effects loop with your favourite stand-alone pedals. Or all of the previous. Or lots of other cool stuff.

The Andertons demos are quite comprehensive and worth a look when you get a chance

Since I'm heavily into multiple amp, multiple effects chains and the like, this ticks some boxes for guitar modelling in particular.

Bottle

I got the rack version and controller so I needed an external expression pedal.

Just got delivered the Helix specific Mission EP-1 L6H. No set up needed, just plug it in with a pair of TS jacks and the treadle and button can be used independently.
On some patches I've set it as a wah, on others the speed of a univibe, on others to increase drive levels or echo mix.

If you want to go mental, then there is the Source Audio Reflex which can do all that and provide midi control to just about anything.

There are usually arguments about doing more parameter fiddling than playing - but I like sound design fiddling. But in the Helix that process is so damn fast and easy to do.

Set up 1 button to turn off a Roland Jazz Chorus clean amp with a klon drive and turn on a Dual Rec with a Tubescreamer and compressor all at the same time with zero control lag? Yup!

I've got mine plugged into the FX return of a bass amp and then either a Zilla 2x12 guitar cab or a Barefaced bass cab. I've turned off the cab modelling on the 1/4 inch outputs.... but it's still on for the balanced outputs and the USB. So FOH can have a cab modelled sound for the PA, and I can have my physical cab do the work for backline.

I haven't had this much fun with a new bit of kit for decades.

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1461827101' post='3037873']
so as I run a bass and guitar rig using an octave up am I right in thinking that I could send two signals, one bass, one guitar ish at the same time?
[/quote]

Yes.

There are 2 main pathways.

A and B

A is on top, B underneath

They can be run completely separately and they have their own DSP. Each of those (like my pic) can then be split for parallel paths too. Each path can be routed to any of the outputs. So if you want A to output to the XLR and into the PA and B to a USB connection you can do that.

You can even have speaker cab emulation on just the XLR > PA, and no speaker emulation on the Jacks>poweramp>bass cab.

OR if you want just one chain and you are running out of DSP power because of all the weird sh*t you are doing you can run A into B and use both DSP chips in 1 pathway.

The pathway I've got at the mo is for A and B running in parallel but both always on.

Path A from the top left... Split signal. Lower section has a fuzz blended with the straight signal. Then combined and into a compressor (the yellow ramp) to make the attack on the clean and fuzz elements the same. Then into the external Send and Returns. In S/R1 I have a Darkglass B7K. In S/R2 I have a Digitech Bass Synth Wah. The B7K controls are set 100% wet but then I mix it to about 50% in the Helix itself. The BSW is 100% everywhere. That then goes into a wah (controlled by an external expression pedal - with the toe switch activating in in the usual wah way) then into a GK model amp... and then out.

Path B starts with a Wah. The wah sweep is controlled by the same expression pedal as the Path A wah. BUT the activation switch is on the main control board so I can decide whether to just wah Path A or Path A and B at the same time.

Then there is a split to mix clean and dirty, then joined and into another compressor.

Then finally there is another GK amp and a 5150. A single pedal has been mapped to turn 1 off and the other 1 on at the same time with a single press. Path B GK is set for a super deep and low almost reggae sound to make sure any FX fun from Path A still has a massive low end. The 5150 is set for a deep distortion sound.

I'm not using any cab models as I'm running into the FX return of an actual bass amp and cab.

Each control on the footcontroller can be mapped to whatever you like and set for momentary or latching. Each can also be set to make 8 changes with a single press. You set the name for each control so you don't have to use stickers.

I have a guitar patch where my clean sound is a Fender Twin with reverb and a tiny bit of mixed phaser. A single stomp turns all that off and turns on a Tubescreamer and a Dual Rec. Then there are separate switches assigned to turn on a rotary speaker (latched) and a speed ramp (momentary).

You can even assign footswitches to individual parameters. If you want a clean and dirty sound from the same model amp, there is no need to use 2 blocks for the same amp, just set a footswitch to be a toggle between 2 preamp gain settings.

It also has 4 sets of Send and Returns on the back. I'm using them for external pedals but they can be used for more interesting routing, like Send 1 appearing on PathA1 and the return appearing on PathA2. I haven't tried that myself yet but I will.

the unit will also channel change most amps that use a TS or TRS jack system. At some point I will try that with my SVP-BSP preamp.

I've only got a normal passive expression pedal - the Mission EP1L6H (desiged just for the Helix) but adding a fully active midi controller like the Source Audio Reflex can do mental things. Have 2 wahs running in opposite directions at the same time? Controlling LFO at the same time as Drive levels in a pedal model etc etc.

It's stunning. And the UI is a joy to use. The screen shows the signal path all the time. Menus only appear when picking a model or naming something. Highlight with the joystick and then a simple menu appears - do you want a pedal / amp / send / whatever. then pick what you want.

Once a model is in place and highlighted the bottom 6 controls show the controls for that model for traditional knob tweaking. there's even an 'emergency' show me the amp settings button that takes you straight to the amp controls no matter what else you are doing.

It is so easy to use.

In an ideal world the unit would have some Darkglass pedal models already - Line 6 have a webpage to vote for firmware upgrade features so the more people that vote the more chance of it happening, but other than that I haven't yet found anything lacking.

And on top of that it's a recording interface and has support for phantom power for mics so it will process vocals too (not tried that yet).

I've only had it for about a month and I've barely scratched the surface and while it's not remotely cheap it is huge value for money.

I'm loving mine (floor unit) - simplicity to configure on the fly is just awesome. Linked to the computer it's even easier. Just not had enough time to sit down and set up the patches I have in my 11-rack for a comparison - bloody work being a bit too busy!

Hi folks,

For those of you that have the HELIX could I ask how it compares with the HD500X in terms of sound quality? My whole band has decided to go ampless from now on (some form of DI for us all and in-ear monitoring on stage rather than a traditional backline).

I'm pretty much thinking that either the HD500X or perhaps the HELIX is the way to go for me. I need a good basic bass sound (ampeg type sounds are idea for me) but I'm also after a means of bi-amping so that I can run a guitar-sound ocatved above. We're a three-piece and I would love the ability to hold the whole rhythm section down while our guitarist has the chance to do some more lead oriented sections of playing. I tried the HD500X and loved the overall effect but at the same time I was not blown away by the sound quality of some of the guitar amps.

So if anyone has experience we both, especially in some form of bi-amping situation could you give me a rough idea of how different they are in quality? I wish I could compare myself but there is nowhere near here where I can find a HELIX to try.

Never tried the 500 series.

Rules though - delete the presets. Completely. Same applies to every similar unit.

You'll never work out if you like it in an hour in a shop when they won't let you reprogram it.

Buy it distance and have a week to decide.

Also there is a big jump from firmware 1.05 to above (1.05 had a default cab / mic setting problem) so if the shop hasn't updated it you won't even be getting the best audition of the presets.

I had a the HD500X before this and it's a great unit for the price.

Th sound quality is clearly better in the Helix but, for the majority of gigs I'll ever do, it's not going to make a big difference.

Biggest difference to me is ease of use - Helix is stupidly simple to work with given the complexity it can achieve. The scribble strips are the single best thing ever - you can see what fx is on what switch. genius.

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing more with it.

Got a lovely GK sound going for that Duff tone, and experimenting with the Particle Reverb model in parallel with a delay for some Manring inspired ethereal noises.

I've also been making loads more guitar patches. I tend to write on guitar rather than bass, but I haven't been this active for years.

• 2 weeks later...

The Helix doesn't seem to have much for Bass for me -- It does not have the Octaver (EBS type) of the HD500 & long gone is the Bass Driver from the (Bass) POD XT. For the price I would want it all.

I agree with previous poster Line6 seem to think Bass is secondary!

Brendan

Edited to add type of effects I would like B

Edited by Sonic_Groove

In terms of people playing the instrument and thus customer base, bass is secondary.

But there are many pros using the Fractal Axe FX for bass now, and at launch that was similarly lacking for bassists. The Helix is a brand new product that gets updated, just like the Axe Fx.

Even comparing with the Pod XT doesn't really work as the extra packs weren't available until long after the unit was released.

There is an octave and harmoniser effect in the Helix so that is there. While there aren't any bass specific drives yet Line 6's own "Ideas Scale" website has loads of people asking for them. And the existing drives can all be run in parallel with a clean signal, or even another drive pedal.

One of my patches has 2 Muffs stacked into each other, in parallel with the preamp only from a Peavey 5150 (so using the preamp as a pedal, rather than the whole amp model), and then another clean sound underneath all of that.

Then there is the rather powerful EQ and compressors too.

I think there is a tendency to look at the guitar models and think it won't work on bass, but the Helix is so flexible that it's probably more useful to think of all the models just as components without being instrument specific.