Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Helix.

fretmeister

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1509702141' post='3400932']
If I'm being honest with myself, a good 80% of the Helix attraction for me is the excellent routing options. The many ins/outs, fx loops etc are tickling my geek gland.
[/quote]

I have to agree, the attraction of the Helix is that too. I've always used multiple signal paths when creating my sounds and maybe I felt a little limited by the last pedal board I had as all the paths had to converge within it. Helix is offering up so many options. Even running vocal paths, acoustic instruments and IEM mixes through it would be a god send on so many levels... if I ever get the time to put it to good use lol. I just want to attempt to model my favourite drive pedal, then It should in theory be an easy swap over. But then I need to find 100 quid for a flight case to put it in... yikes!

The other thing to note is that the bass side wasn't really anything I'd be that bothered about using. I like my Genz/TC amps, and I like my Tech 21 pedals for getting a more gritty tube tone, and then a few good fuzz and octave pedals.

I'm not a fan of the Darkglass tone, so that didn't really lure me in.

I kept thinking 'does this really sound like this amp?' when I was trying the amp models....I wasn't really sure.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1509633557' post='3400479']
OK, the manual was on the USB stick. What do people who don't have access to a device that can read a USB stick do? Also according to the manual "USB flash drive containing the Helix Owner's Manual you’re reading right now and more" - what more? All I can see is the manual in 6 different languages.

It also explains what the allen key is for, but not what the rubbery nodule does. Is it supposed to cover the bolt for adjusting the pedal stiffness?

At this point I have discovered that someone (probably an ex-Terrortone guitarist) has "borrowed" my spare long jack-to-jack lead, so it will be some time while I hunt for another one before I can actually fire the thing up and get some sounds out of it.

I believe that there are software and firmware updates for the Helix. Does Helix V2.21 contain everything I need or are there other things I need to download first?
[/quote]

1: You won't need the manual unless you are deep diving into MIDI. Some have moaned about not having a paper one, but the L6 guys said that printing it out in about 30 languages costs a fortune and there's just no need to kill that many trees anymore. The manual is also on the website so you can print bits of it if you want to read in the bath

2: Dunno what the rubber thing is for - I've got the rack version

3: Allen key is for the expression pedal.

4: Firmware 2.21 is the up to date one. So no need to update that at all. But you might as well download the editor on your PC / Mac. The editor only works when the Helix is plugged into it but some people prefer to edit like that rather than on the unit. I don't - I do everything on the unit and only use the editor when I'm backing things up. You will need to use the editor if you decide to disappear down the rabbit hole of third party IRs

5: Get plugged in and use some headphones while you are waiting to get your cable from that scummy guitarist! :D

6: I don't know what pickups you have in your basses. If they are hot you might want to use the INPUT PAD. Some think the whole unit sounds better with the Pad on anyway. Highlight the INPUT BLOCK on the screen and it will show at the bottom.

7: Ask me anything you like!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1509703244' post='3400949']
But what does an amp sound like?

For me it's just some EQ attached to a device that makes my bass loud.
[/quote]

Hmm..I know what you mean. I think it is just character. Despite being mainly a bassist, I think the guitar side is much harder to get right as I am SO used to pretty clean and powerful bass amps that I use a pedal or three with for say an Ampeg tube sound, or just use the amp as it is for the sound of my bass.

Guitar is a different world. Getting that low level of hair on the notes is very hard to get right.

Nothing sparkles like a Fender Deluxe/Twin when just plugged in with single coils. Etc.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1509703227' post='3400948']
1: You won't need the manual unless you are deep diving into MIDI. Some have moaned about not having a paper one, but the L6 guys said that printing it out in about 30 languages costs a fortune and there's just no need to kill that many trees anymore. The manual is also on the website so you can print bits of it if you want to read in the bath

2: Dunno what the rubber thing is for - I've got the rack version

3: Allen key is for the expression pedal.

4: Firmware 2.21 is the up to date one. So no need to update that at all. But you might as well download the editor on your PC / Mac. The editor only works when the Helix is plugged into it but some people prefer to edit like that rather than on the unit. I don't - I do everything on the unit and only use the editor when I'm backing things up. You will need to use the editor if you decide to disappear down the rabbit hole of third party IRs

5: Get plugged in and use some headphones while you are waiting to get your cable from that scummy guitarist! :D

6: I don't know what pickups you have in your basses. If they are hot you might want to use the INPUT PAD. Some think the whole unit sounds better with the Pad on anyway. Highlight the INPUT BLOCK on the screen and it will show at the bottom.

7: Ask me anything you like!
[/quote]

Thanks.

Unfortunately real life intervened yesterday and I didn't even get a chance to switch it on.

Firmware 2.21 is what I downloaded from the Line 6 site. Can I apply that to whatever previous version is on the Helix (assuming that it's not already on 2.21), or are there certain upgrade steps I need to take first. The instructions on the downloads page of the Line 6 site are confusing and full of dire warnings in red. I don't want to mess anything up.

All my basses have a fairly high output so thanks for the Input Pad advice.

I forgot RULE NO 1

If you are using the internal cabs or third party IRs they will ALL need high and low cuts.

When the cab / IR block is highlighted the high and low cuts will be shown at the bottom of the screen. Cut the highs down to about 6-7Khz and the lows to about 75hz. That will remove any top end fizz and any boom.

The most annoying thing about the presets is when you are testing them with a proper amp rather than FRFR or headphones.Some of the presents use All In One amp and cab blocks (uses less power than separates) so they sound crap into real life speakers. Need to edit to remove the All-in-one amp and cab and swap it for just the Amp and not have a cab block.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1509703505' post='3400951']
Hmm..I know what you mean. I think it is just character. Despite being mainly a bassist, I think the guitar side is much harder to get right as I am SO used to pretty clean and powerful bass amps that I use a pedal or three with for say an Ampeg tube sound, or just use the amp as it is for the sound of my bass.

Guitar is a different world. Getting that low level of hair on the notes is very hard to get right.

Nothing sparkles like a Fender Deluxe/Twin when just plugged in with single coils. Etc.
[/quote]

I think that a lot of the time musicians get over-precious about having to have a particular piece of kit in order to get "THAT" sound.

I now have a very nice guitar amp (Hughes & Kuttner Tube 50) but I was able to get equally pleasant guitar sounds out of the all-transistor Carlsbro Rebel 90 that I owned in the 80s. I can make all my different guitars sound the way I want them to simply by changing how I play them, and I don't even have anything like fantastic technique. So I usually end up picking an instrument for it's looks in regard to the band I am playing with, as everything else can be fixed with playing style, EQ and effects.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1509703598' post='3400952']
Thanks.

Unfortunately real life intervened yesterday and I didn't even get a chance to switch it on.

Firmware 2.21 is what I downloaded from the Line 6 site. Can I apply that to whatever previous version is on the Helix (assuming that it's not already on 2.21), or are there certain upgrade steps I need to take first. The instructions on the downloads page of the Line 6 site are confusing and full of dire warnings in red. I don't want to mess anything up.

All my basses have a fairly high output so thanks for the Input Pad advice.
[/quote]

The screen will show the current version at the bottom during the start up process. As the last update was in April I'd be surprised if your unit wasn't up to date.

When you downloaded the update I presume you got the UPDATER and the EDITOR at the same time.

If that is the case then you plug it in and follow the on screen instructions and let it do the work. It's only at the reboot time you have to be careful IF that particular update needs the patches to be rebuilt. Then you have to hold a few of the buttons down while you turn it off and on again.

If it is of any comfort - Eric Klein (head Helix man at L6) tells me that it's really only his fellow Americans who can't follow the instructions, and that he's not really had any complaints from UK! That being said they are looking to streamline the process to reduce the number of button presses. That will come in a future firmware update.

If it needs an update do it before you start making your own patches. That will make sure you haven't got to back them up.

Finally, after a two month wait my two new BF FR800s arrived yesterday. Annoyingly they need powercon connectors so had to get some today before I could turn them on.
Wow, now my helix makes even more sense. The BF cabs are so clean that you really hear what the helix can do. Give me a week or two and I'll let you know how I'm getting on. I already know that my DB750 is going to be heading to a new home after just a couple of hours with the new rig.

On 03/11/2017 at 20:43, mrtcat said:

Finally, after a two month wait my two new BF FR800s arrived yesterday. Annoyingly they need powercon connectors so had to get some today before I could turn them on.
Wow, now my helix makes even more sense. The BF cabs are so clean that you really hear what the helix can do. Give me a week or two and I'll let you know how I'm getting on. I already know that my DB750 is going to be heading to a new home after just a couple of hours with the new rig.

This interests me greatly.

are the BFs fan cooled or passive?

have you tried them with regular guitar?

10 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

This interests me greatly.

are the BFs fan cooled or passive?

have you tried them with regular guitar?

They're passively cooled. The plate amp is one of these  https://www.hypex.nl/product/psc2-400d/67  so it's top quality. I haven't run a guitar through them but I have used them as pa tops and the clarity is incredible. Essentially they're like really powerful studio reference monitors. I have no doubt at all that they'll be excellent for guitar if used with helix / kemper etc etc.

Edited by mrtcat

Interesting indeed. I had thought about them before but they are a lot of cash compared to many FRFR options.

I like my Yamaha DXR10 but the fan noise does my nut in for low volume practice. I had thought about sticking with a power amp and bass cabs for bass use and getting the highly regarded Red Sound FRFR powered cab (no fan!) for guitar use. But really I want a "1 rig does both instruments" approach if I can.

I'd have to save some pennies and sell the Yamaha first though!

After a couple of weeks of mental amounts of work, I'm starting to get to grips with the Helix.

I do have to say thought there seems to an inordinate amount of drive/distortion on nearly all the bass-specific patches (or at least for my tastes), but I'm starting to put together some suitable starting points that I can tweak at the next full band rehearsal.

What I am considering is getting rid of all my other gear and simply getting one or two Barefaced FR800s and run the Helix direct into them.

Has anyone else gone this route with a Barefaced or similar FRFF cab?

12 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

After a couple of weeks of mental amounts of work, I'm starting to get to grips with the Helix.

I do have to say thought there seems to an inordinate amount of drive/distortion on nearly all the bass-specific patches (or at least for my tastes), but I'm starting to put together some suitable starting points that I can tweak at the next full band rehearsal.

What I am considering is getting rid of all my other gear and simply getting one or two Barefaced FR800s and run the Helix direct into them.

I think the FR800's will be a real winner. I've been very pleased with how the BB2 responds with a decent power amp. I've also been using my Bergantino B|Amp and HD cabinets with Helix whilst I get it set up with some really good results there too. I do really love the idea of having a pair of active cabinets with no need for a separate amplifier. I can't see why the FR800's wouldn't be a great sounding option. Alas my budget won't stretch so it'll be a pair of BB's and a clean flat amp for now.

How are people getting on with their Helixes?

With my NV610 looking like it has a buyer I might be pulling the trigger in the near future.  I was going to go with the rackmount version but after the consideration I'm not sure I can warrant the extra cash just to have tidier cabling over the LT.  I've always run relatively simple on the pedalboard side so I'm not like to need all the connections to be honest either.

What other reasons are there not to go with the LT? (It'll be insured to the gills through NewMoon so I'm not overly worried about damages)

Mine went out for its first gig this weekend. I’ve not had any time to set it up properly but I did buy a really nice Flightcase for it. I have a few pedals on the board too because, well, just because.. I used three sounds all night lol! But, it did sound great straight to FOH. I want to create some cool patches when I get time, but if I never get round to it, then it’ll be back to separate pedals for me! 

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Get the full fat floor one rather than the LT. It's built stronger and it's got more connections. Scribble Strips are a brilliant thing to have too.

You'll also get a far bigger discount on the Native plug in with either the rack or the full floor.

I doubt I'll bother with the plug-in and it's going to be more for studio use than anything.

I'm just not sure the full fat is worth nearly £500 more!

Yup I've been thinking the same, Full version or LT.

As far as I can tell, the main advantages of the full version are more ins/outs, it also has a mic preamp, the scribble strips, and 10 stomp switches vs 8 on the LT.

What I'm really interested in is the ability to split the input signal, treat them differently and them sum them again at the output, I like to use the Billy Sheehan type of sound, where you have 2 separate signals.  A clean low end signal with highs rolled off, and then a separate high frequency signal, which gets the distortions / modulation effects.

It looks like the possibilities are endless for this sort of thing in the Helix.

• Like 1

On 17/11/2017 at 15:19, BigRedX said:

Yep. I've gigged this setup half a dozen times now. I love it. The FR800s are so good that you can go from crystal clean to huge overdrive and everything in between and they just lap it up. The helix is so versatile and the options are endless. I love the versatility of the eqs and the fact I can have whatever I want to hear on stage and if necessary something totally different out front. I'm so happy with it that I just sold my Aguilar DB750 rig knowing it won't get used again. 

FB_IMG_1511206322224.jpg

Edited by mrtcat
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LewisK1975 said:

Yup I've been thinking the same, Full version or LT.

As far as I can tell, the main advantages of the full version are more ins/outs, it also has a mic preamp, the scribble strips, and 10 stomp switches vs 8 on the LT.

What I'm really interested in is the ability to split the input signal, treat them differently and them sum them again at the output, I like to use the Billy Sheehan type of sound, where you have 2 separate signals.  A clean low end signal with highs rolled off, and then a separate high frequency signal, which gets the distortions / modulation effects.

It looks like the possibilities are endless for this sort of thing in the Helix.

Would that still be possible on the LT?