Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Helix.

fretmeister

Full list of launch day amp models includes a few nice bass amps

http://uk.line6.com/data/6/0a06433914b1a55c24990c43bd/application/pdf

One of my favourite past rigs was the Bass Pod Pro xt with a yamaha power amp. It was versatile and sounded great. I was in a cover band with a big repertoire and it was dead easy to get the right tone for the song.

So I'm quite interested in the Helix. It's not a cheap unit by any means, but there aren't many similar options, and Fractal don't seem to be fussed about keeping bassists happy.

I'd like to try one.

I'm reserving judgement on these until at least 6 months into release. No point if you just play bass, but good if you also play guitar. The bass stuff seems added on.

It does seem super expensive for a Line 6 product when Fender have proved you can almost get a 65 Deluxe sound in a £211 modelling Fender Mustang III V2.

I'm guessing their R&D costs were pretty high.

Edited by Musicman20

I'm hoping too.

The Fractal stuff has been without a genuine competitor to drive the price down - Fractal have been head, shoulders, knees and toes above everyone else for several years. So the price has stayed the same and they've come out with regular firmware updates, and they've managed to get a huge roster of professionals using it.

But now Line 6 are owned by Yamaha and have Yamaha's R&D Budget and massive production facilities - all they have to do is start offering some tasty salaries and they'll get some of the Fractal guys to jump ship.

As amazing as the Axe-FX is, they simply don't have the ability to churn out 5000 units a month like Yamaha do.

• 1 month later...

Some of the guys at thefretboard have received their Helix's. Good reactions so far.

I've been asking loads of questions about routings and using existing pedals with them to see if it would do what I want it to do - and it seems the answer is YES!

I might have to see what I can off-load - it is quite a lot of cash at about £1050 but that is really only the same as a half a dozen £160 pedals and yet can do so much more.

Every review I have read has raved about it, however I have seen a lot of guys on the FB Helix group moan about the bugs, crashes and firmware updates. For that amount of money I would want expect for there to be no problems with it.

The options to use external pedals and load in IR's is probably the best features. Haven't really seen any reviews on the bass amps yet.

Think I will wait a couple of years for the price to drop and the bugs to be sorted before I consider getting one. My Pod HD will keep me happy till then, especially with the recent bass amp expansion.

Alas it doesn't seem possible for any complex software based product (in any field of use) to be released without bugs anymore.

Playstations, iPhones, etc etc.

All have endless bug fixes.

Doesn't put me off anymore - but I will wait for a few months so any stability issues are fixed.

I can't see the price coming down quickly though - the only competitor is the Fractal and that's already much more expensive. So there's no real need to lower it.

I used to gig with a Bass Pod Pro XT and that was great. The Ampeg models were excellent, but lots of the others, like the old Hiwatt guitar heads were really useful too

The most fun was using things that aren't really for bass anymore- like the Fender Bassman combo. You could use a combo now, but the power output and speaker fart-out would be a problem with a loud band. But with the Pod XT I could set the tone how I wanted and then let the dirty great Yamaha power amp I had do the heavy lifting.

The mixing in some direct clean was the icing on the cake.

The Helix will allow a 4 way parallel signal, so that could be mixing 4 amps together with separate EQ blocks, and again it won't matter whether the models are for bass or guitar, it will only matter whether it sounds good to the player.

It's the sort of kit that makes rhythm guitarists redundant!! :D

• 4 months later...

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1457126610' post='2995734']
As you lot haven't bought one, I'll have to take one for the team.

The rack units won't land for another 4 or 5 weeks, but one has my name on it.
[/quote]

Good stuff.

Although I must admit it worries me slightly that there are enough dodgy lawyers out there to keep you in quality gear ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1446024255' post='2896202']
The mixing in some direct clean was the icing on the cake.
[/quote]

I've an Avid Eleven rack which sounds sublime but lacks the parallel chains and decent foot control.
I've just sold my Line 6 Pod HD500X to a guitarist friend but the parallel signal path worked a treat - particularly running a more distorted sound - having the lows through a clean path and highs through the drive path made for loads of tight low-end.

I've a Helix floorboard arriving this week having sold on the 500X to a mate.

Edited by Iain

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1459063778' post='3013166']We'll have to swap patches![/quote]

Sure thing! Planning on spending some time this weekend looking into community stuff - post up any links you come across - might be a good resource for BCers.

• 2 weeks later...