Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Helix.

fretmeister

On 26/07/2018 at 19:48, dood said:

Thank you!

You mention parallel paths above. Does this mean that you can have either multiple parallel paths in your signal chain, or have multiple effects in a parallel path?  

I will PM you.

How do the octave effects hold up to stand alone pedals? Really interested in the HX for it's versatility and a seemingly set and forget approach, but some of the EDM tunes we have in our set require a synth/dub sound that's integral, and if I went for the helix I'd want to replace my entire pedal set up with it.

Currently use a T16 for the sub sounds, but at times I wish it had a 2 oct down to really get the floor shaking.  Would the HX handle this?

Similarly, what are it's filter and synth capabilities like? I've been wanting to integrate a vocal style filter/synth, like the new dirty robot pedal does; as well as more traditional squelchy envelope filter fx. Would the HX have this covered too?

11 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

How do the octave effects hold up to stand alone pedals? Really interested in the HX for it's versatility and a seemingly set and forget approach, but some of the EDM tunes we have in our set require a synth/dub sound that's integral, and if I went for the helix I'd want to replace my entire pedal set up with it.

Currently use a T16 for the sub sounds, but at times I wish it had a 2 oct down to really get the floor shaking.  Would the HX handle this?

Similarly, what are it's filter and synth capabilities like? I've been wanting to integrate a vocal style filter/synth, like the new dirty robot pedal does; as well as more traditional squelchy envelope filter fx. Would the HX have this covered too?

Great Qs! I'd love to know the answer to all the above too. Does the Helix cut it on the above?

It would be good hear some samples of the best efforts of the Helix's filter and synth capabilities either posted here and / or on the Filter and Synth Samples thread - gents @dood / @fretmeister / @HazBeen would one of you be able to oblige?

Btw if you want something that will do a really good 2 oct down - check out the Valeton OC-10, it's a modern, more compact, take on the classic Boss OC-2 (and cheaper than a s/h OC-2)...I've got one on order :) 

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Great Qs! I'd love to know the answer to all the above too. Does the Helix cut it on the above?

It would be good hear some samples of the best efforts of the Helix's filter and synth capabilities either posted here and / or on the Filter and Synth Samples thread - gents @dood / @fretmeister / @HazBeen would one of you be able to oblige?

Btw if you want something that will do a really good 2 oct down - check out the Valeton OC-10, it's a modern, more compact, take on the classic Boss OC-2 (and cheaper than a s/h OC-2)...I've got one on order :) 

I use a COG T65 for my octave sounds and a Future Impact for my synths so never tried the built in ones really. Probably not the right person to answer therefore.

Edited by HazBeen

Just now, thisisswanbon said:

Is there any reason for using them over the HX equivalents?

Well mainly because I already owned them and really like them so never felt I needed to change a winning formula. The HX is my pedalboard control center and I use the built in modulation, filter, compressor and delays mostly, as well as the B7K model. I do have a good low gain drive I use instead of the BBBO on occasion.

3 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

Is there any reason for using them over the HX equivalents?

For bass the filter and synths in the Helix really don't do much.  This is possibly the biggest future requirement of the Helix bass community (alongside a bass specific compressor). I add my Future Impact in to the loop as well. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Muppet said:

For bass the filter and synths in the Helix really don't do much.  This is possibly the biggest future requirement of the Helix bass community (alongside a bass specific compressor). I add my Future Impact in to the loop as well. 

For my use the filter is perfectly acceptable, but that may be because I use filter for texture/bite and not so much full quack (if that makes sense). I don’t do funk...

also the 3 band compressor I find to be very good, I think @dood may agree, I certainly would not need a bass compressor added, but as I have said many times horses for courses.

2 hours ago, HazBeen said:

For my use the filter is perfectly acceptable, but that may be because I use filter for texture/bite and not so much full quack (if that makes sense). I don’t do funk...

also the 3 band compressor I find to be very good, I think @dood may agree, I certainly would not need a bass compressor added, but as I have said many times horses for courses.

@Muppet Yup, the three band comp is very, very good when tweaked just right. (Wouldn't hurt to have some reduction meters added) - and the one thing I would want most is a wet/dry mix on it too because I adore parallel compression. (It's why TC's Spectracomp and Hypergravity, Nova Dynamics and C300 are pretty much my favourite compressors... and the SD Studio Bass, that's ace too. I might buy another!) 

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I let you down badly the last time I tried to find time to do samples for you! (Still sorry even now) - but if I do get a moment I will see what I can do. though I will add that I'm not usually a synth pedal guy. If anything it's something I need to spend more time working on! 

Thank you for the Valeton suggestion. Yeah that sounds really good!

Don't get me wrong chaps, I was just saying that from the Helix forums the most popular addition after some better synths and filters seems to be a compressor. I'm more than happy with the three band. 

@HazBeen what filter are you using? I'm looking for some 70s filter/synth for disco and funk and I just can't get it out of the Helix.  Ironically the B3n can do it...... .😛

Edited by Muppet

1 hour ago, dood said:

- and the one thing I would want most is a wet/dry mix on it too because I adore parallel compression. 

@dood I'm doing this sort of  by adding the compressor to a parallel path rather than in line.  Would that not give a similar result? 

17 hours ago, Muppet said:

Don't get me wrong chaps, I was just saying that from the Helix forums the most popular addition after some better synths and filters seems to be a compressor. I'm more than happy with the three band. 

@HazBeen what filter are you using? I'm looking for some 70s filter/synth for disco and funk and I just can't get it out of the Helix.  Ironically the B3n can do it...... .😛

I use the Mutant Filter (the Mutron) in a parallel loop set up with a Crossover at 80Hz

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

Reading back through some of the posts in this topic has got me gassing for a B3n as much as the Helix! There's concern that maybe the B3n won't sound as authentic as the HX, but as long as there's no reduction in 'heft', maybe my sights need to be aiming at zoom...

As said before I own both, the HX is a significant step up from the B3n but the Zoom is perfectly acceptable for most applications. But I am still happy I took the plunge. HX or Helix will only get better with every release, B3n is what it is and the overal quality, UI, routing options, flexibility and gigability (did I just create a new word?) of the Helix in whatever guise simply are far beyond the Zoom offering.

23 hours ago, Muppet said:

@dood I'm doing this sort of  by adding the compressor to a parallel path rather than in line.  Would that not give a similar result? 

I guess yes! I should probably get on and try it myself ha ha!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got mine flight cased up. After recently adding a wireless I wanted a plug in and go set up. Had the helix 6 months now and absolutely love it. I don't use many fx but do use the built in darkglass od pedal lots and love how easy it is to switch basses between songs and just step on a setting ready for each one. Both me and guitarist have ditched backline completely now. Helix and IEMs all the way baby!

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-14 at 17.56.57.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrtcat said:

Finally got mine flight cased up. After recently adding a wireless I wanted a plug in and go set up. Had the helix 6 months now and absolutely love it. I don't use many fx but do use the built in darkglass od pedal lots and love how easy it is to switch basses between songs and just step on a setting ready for each one. Both me and guitarist have ditched backline completely now. Helix and IEMs all the way baby!

It just looks so tidy! Brilliant on stage and so easy to pack and go!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dood said:

It just looks so tidy! Brilliant on stage and so easy to pack and go!

That's exactly where the helix shines for me and us as a band. With a digital mixer we just recall settings and tweak so setup and soundcheck is done in under an hour. Pack down is about 30 mins. For a function band that regularly has a 2hr plus drive home it's a revelation. 

I saw a Helix in action last weekend and the guitarist had a monitor feed from the desk to his Helix and then mixed his in ears from his Helix,

Does anyone know if you can use the Helix LT is the same way by taking a monitor send from the desk and inserting it into the effects return on the Helix LT ?

Thanks 

14 hours ago, mrtcat said:

That looks good.

Where did you get the case from? How much higher does it make the footswitches compare with the helix not being in the case? Also how have you fixed the Helix into the case?