Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Helix.

fretmeister

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

It's still got way more bass stuff than Fractal and Kemper. So I'm not fussed about amp updates.

But I'd like some more compressors and synths.

I wouldn't go as far as way more! Kemper is still very capable alongside Helix.

Synth stuff is defo interesting - I'd like to see that developed for sure.

Many of you Helix folk tried the Zoom B3n?

I'm pretty impressed with it on the amp/dirt front, it's leaps and bounds ahead of the B3/MS-60B/B1on. I have never been able to get a pleasing fingerstyle overdrive tone out of the SVT / B15 amp models in the Helix, BIAS, or the older Zoom units. I preferred to stick with the VT Bass. I can get some great dirty amp sounds out of the B3n however! Not sure which is the most realistic of course, having never played the real actual amps, but I do know which I prefer playing through.

It also has a Sansamp BDDI model, and a pretty killer envelope filter in the form of the Z-Tron, which I prefer to anything other filter I've found on the modelling front. I also prefer the phasers in the Zoom, and the analog-esque octavers are about on par with each other.

Helix of course wins in plenty of other areas though, flexible routing, analog delays, custom IRs, etc. But for the main FX I use (dirt, filter, phaser), I would be happier with the underdog B3n.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Many of you Helix folk tried the Zoom B3n?

I'm pretty impressed with it on the amp/dirt front, it's leaps and bounds ahead of the B3/MS-60B/B1on. I have never been able to get a pleasing fingerstyle overdrive tone out of the SVT / B15 amp models in the Helix, BIAS, or the older Zoom units. I preferred to stick with the VT Bass. I can get some great dirty amp sounds out of the B3n however! Not sure which is the most realistic of course, having never played the real actual amps, but I do know which I prefer playing through.

It also has a Sansamp BDDI model, and a pretty killer envelope filter in the form of the Z-Tron, which I prefer to anything other filter I've found on the modelling front. I also prefer the phasers in the Zoom, and the analog-esque octavers are about on par with each other.

Helix of course wins in plenty of other areas though, flexible routing, analog delays, custom IRs, etc. But for the main FX I use (dirt, filter, phaser), I would be happier with the underdog B3n.

That’s the way I’m thinking of going - I’ve got a B3 and like it but heard good things about the B3n.  My Helix will be up for sale shortly as I can’t see it being used anytime soon. 

The only thing I don’t like about the B3n is the lack of an XLR out which seems like a bit of an oversight

Edited by intime-nick

The way I look at it, is because the effects/amps/cabs are just models I can use any of them without worrying about them getting damaged due to feeding them with inappropriate signals in terms of frequency or level.

At the moment my favourite amp model to use on the bass is the one based on the Roland Jazz Chorus amp. 

Because the worst thing that can happen is the end result won't sound very good, I'm just getting in and experimenting. Everything and anything is available for me to use.

Stop thinking that you have to use models of bass equipment for processing your bass guitar and try something different.

• Like 3

I sold mine in October 2017, but I'm seriously tempted to dive back in. However, the prices have gone up, which makes no sense.....

I paid about £980 for a full fat Helix and they are now £1199.

As soon as they level out again I might have another go, but for now I'll wait to see what the next development is on the market.

1 hour ago, Musicman20 said:

I sold mine in October 2017, but I'm seriously tempted to dive back in. However, the prices have gone up, which makes no sense.....

I paid about £980 for a full fat Helix and they are now £1199.

As soon as they level out again I might have another go, but for now I'll wait to see what the next development is on the market.

Yeah the prices were lower when I started looking compared to when I bought mine. Shame.

I think it may be related to the fact the Line 6 have repeatedly (and rather believably) said that they have no plans to replace the Helix hardware for quite some time. Fractal have a new model out every 5 minutes, Line 6 and Kemper seem content for the moment.

5 minutes ago, Jack said:

Yeah the prices were lower when I started looking compared to when I bought mine. Shame.

I think it may be related to the fact the Line 6 have repeatedly (and rather believably) said that they have no plans to replace the Helix hardware for quite some time. Fractal have a new model out every 5 minutes, Line 6 and Kemper seem content for the moment.

Makes sense! There was a period when it went from £1050 - £1399 in a few days, then up, then down, etc.

I'll wait....

I think the price hike isn't anything unusual. I see it with PA gear often, where a new product will come out - and the time to grab the bargain is when one of the big outlets gets a ton of the units in stock, allowing them to shift lots at a low price. Looks great on their sales figures and nets a nice profit in bulk sales. As the initial madness drops off then they can start adding on the usual mark ups and that I think is here the price creeps up.*

I could of course be totally incorrect but it does make sense to businesses who are trying to pile high and sell low.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Currently on the free Trial for Helix Native......ultimately testing out the sounds for the HX Effects. I'm sceptical that it can replace my pedalboard, but always up for being wrong :)

Si

I genuinely was too! However, my own board certainly didn't have anything as incredible as say @andybassdoyle's impressive set up. I did eventually crack and take my all-time favourite drive pedal off when I made something I liked the sound of in Helix using a number of different effects blocks. Yes, it does take up room in my signal path on Helix but it's one less box on the floor. 

I have Native too and can confirm for those wanting to know, It sounds exactly the same as Helix hardware.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

Makes sense! There was a period when it went from £1050 - £1399 in a few days, then up, then down, etc.

I'll wait....

Fwiw I talked PMT down to £1300 for the rack, the control and a few assorted cables.  Is it higher than even that now?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jack said:

Fwiw I talked PMT down to £1300 for the rack, the control and a few assorted cables.  Is it higher than even that now?

It's about £1400 or more for both of those at the mo.

Standard floor is £1199

HX effects is ONLY £434! Which seems very cheap. So I might just try that as it's much smaller. 

Crazy price differential. I understand the HX has exactly the same processors, just obviously less in terms of IO, screen and knobs? If so, sounds like they could have put the amp sims in that box for no extra cost but the marketing team said no!

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/07/2018 at 20:07, Musashimonkey said:

There’s one in the classifieds with a Mono case that could be delivered for £990, I reckon... 😉😊

Our guitarist just picked a full fat helix up 2nd hand from one of the online guitar shops with a proper line6 case for £820 including delivery. Still had the plastic screen protectors on.

15 hours ago, Musashimonkey said:

Thinking about keeping mine now, loads of tones available...!

Can't see myself ever getting rid of mine.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, basskit_case said:

The HX is really dropping in price, down to £399.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180122321373008--line-6-helix-hx-effects

£540 down to £399.  Are they not shifting enough units?

Or just following the classic pricing model for any electronic gear i.e. high initial price for early adopters for whom getting the latest tech is a 'must have' and then subsequently cutting to flush out the more "reluctant" buyers?

My Zoom B3n, which is ridiculous amount of pedal for the money, was £170 when I bought it when it first came out 15 months ago. Andertons are currently selling for £135. So a similar ball park discount of 20% to 25%.

• Like 1