Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Helix.

fretmeister

49 minutes ago, Jack said:

Barring some crazy routing to do with the panning left and right, the xlrs are linked together as are the 1/4". I've been using the xlr (line level, volume control) to the cabs and the 1/4" (mic level, no volume control) to a Radial SB2 and then to the pa. Like you, I found that I needed two distinct XLR sends (one for me, one for foh) and the stereo pair wasn't giving me that. As an aside, if it's not our board or our soundman (ok, the drummer's dad) I would be worried that there's phantom power being sent from foh to the helix, which the internal xlrs apparently don't cope well with. DI box solved both problems and I already had it so it was 'free'.

I really didn't want to read that. The "pedal board" that I'm going to have to fit this to, is already looking oversize with extra space needed for the Linn Adrenalinn, two Sony Wireless receivers and a PSU and mains distribution to power them all, as well as enough space to have everything permanently wired up. So I really didn't want to be adding another unit in the form of a DI box. :-(

Couldn’t you use one of the sends going to a DI box?The master volume should come after everything in the chain so not affect the DI patched into the fx loop. A Radial Stagebug wouldn’t take up much room!

Edited by dannybuoy

35 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I really didn't want to read that. The "pedal board" that I'm going to have to fit this to, is already looking oversize with extra space needed for the Linn Adrenalinn, two Sony Wireless receivers and a PSU and mains distribution to power them all, as well as enough space to have everything permanently wired up. So I really didn't want to be adding another unit in the form of a DI box. :-(

The worry over phantom power alone would be enough to make me want to squeeze one in somewhere. I guess if there's no room though that's that. What's your on stage monitoring? Will the unbalanced 1/4" drive that to leave your xlrs free?

Edit: just seen its the RCF cab. Might as well try it with the 1/4", won't cost you anything but time to try.

Edited by Jack

I think if there really are issues with phantom powering and the XLR outputs, I'd be better off using a DI. I already have a couple of EMO passive units that are IMO better than the Radial, so I'll just have to try and find room on the board for it (and the the plugs going into it). I was hoping to keep the unbalanced leads to a minimum, which means that the connection to the RCF cab ideally needs to be balanced since it's one of the longer cable runs.

BTW I'll soon be looking for a flight case type pedal board to mount this all on - one where you take the lid off and everything is fixed in place on the base all ready wired up. Does anyone have any recommendations? It will need to be deep enough to allow all the connections at the back of the Helix to be made permanently with the lid on, and about 6" wider than the Helix to fit all the extra bits and pieces. And then the most important question is how to fit the Helix to the base?

Edited by BigRedX

My setup uses just the left XLR out to our digital mixer and then an aux out to the stage monitor (DBR15 for the rest of the band) and the separate main outs to the PA.  This means I have independent control of the stage and main PA volume plus the ability to EQ both independently if needed.  I also feed my IEMs in stereo from another pair of aux outs, again, with independent EQ, volume, compression etc etc. No need for any separate DI boxes (although I always carry one just in case it all goes horribly wrong !)

i fixed my LT to the pedalboard (a swanflight one) using some 3D printed feet that replace the standard rubber feet and allow it to be screwed directly to the board.  It’s been solid for the past few months and all my wireless gear (smoothound), battery for the receiver and a few other bits n pieces all fit on there. 

Since there appears to be a possible issue with unwanted phantom powering going to the Helix XLRs and the fact that we use whatever PA is in the venue, I don't think I can risk using the Helix without a passive DI between it and the PA feed, just in case there is phantom power applied.

@intime-nick where did you get your replacement feet from? Also I had a look at the Swanflight cases but couldn't see anything big enough for what I need - Helix plus another 6" at the side and enough extra depth to accommodate all the plugs when the case is closed. Also the base looks quite clunky. How much higher does it make the pedals and how obtrusive is the lip there the base and lid join?

@BigRedX - I designed and printed the feet myself.  They fit onto the helix using the same screws as the rubber feet and then some wood screws into the board.  The board is only just big enough for the LT and some space behind it for cables etc so not much good if you use external pedals.  I know @dood had a board that was big enough for quite a few pedals and the LT - he may be able to point you in the right direction.

the LT was sitting way too high as standard so I dropped the height of the main board in the case by removing the wood support underneath it so the LT will sit lower and have a bit more clearance inside the lid - works well for me and drops the height by about 45mm. 

Edit : I’ve still got some screen protectors available from the next production run for sale and I can print some fixing feet if anyone wants some  

8C27C103-8C8F-4F8D-8FC3-2A7E13F49F99.jpeg

3A73DBB3-171D-43E2-B1F5-4D14B61E8237.jpeg

F7D65B1F-39D7-4014-BE9B-EBAC7E7EFBC6.jpeg

D5D739F6-628E-46E5-B173-8AEEAD9637CE.jpeg

78D8E73B-022D-4216-9718-AC969D37C8C9.jpeg

Edited by intime-nick
  • Like 2

Hi @intime-nick and @BigRedX - Yes, I actually have a case going here, I was going to advertise it for sale but where I got it from ended up having a big sale and the cost of shipping ended up being prohibitive, so I decided not to advertise. 

It's this one: https://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/industry/product.asp?item=spider-guitar-effects-pedal-board-flight-case-extra-large-7628-4748 - I'll get a price together for mine. Let me grab a picture of my board to see how much space there is around my Helix. You do have the option of their next size up case the XXL with a much larger pedal board.

Oh - I should add: I am using the bicycle chain method to fix my helix to the board. No sticky, no velcro, works a treat! The pedals are using chain links but with cable ties acting as removable straps. My own idea that works really well. Again, no mess.

Just now, intime-nick said:

Loads of room on that one ! - I didn’t know it was a lift-out board on that particular case (nice screen protector btw :biggrin::biggrin:)

Oh yes, I completely forgot to mention! Yes, usually I would actually just leave the lift out board in the lid on stage. There's still plenty of room even with the lid lip. However I have had Roqsolid make me a 'tough bag' that I can carry my board around in when the flightcasse is a bit much. 

Yes, I have to say that the screen protector is absolutely brilliant. It has been to a good few gigs now and hasn't come off or got in the way. In fact, it's so good I actually forget it is there!

@BigRedX - I could do a set of 6 feet for £6.50 posted in the UK - a few different colours available.  They can have a countersunk screw hole as pictured or plain depending on which screws you want to fix them to the pedalboard with.  The height is the same as the std. rubber feet so the same screws can be used to fix them to the Helix.  PM me if your're interested 

Screenshot 2018-03-27 14.03.20.png

Screenshot 2018-03-27 14.03.25.png

Edited by intime-nick
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, intime-nick said:

@BigRedX - I could do a set of 6 feet for £6.50 posted in the UK - a few different colours available.  They can have a countersunk screw hole as pictured or plain depending on which screws you want to fix them to the pedalboard with.  The height is the same as the std. rubber feet so the same screws can be used to fix them to the Helix.  PM me if your're interested 

Screenshot 2018-03-27 14.03.20.png

Screenshot 2018-03-27 14.03.25.png

With all these products you've been sharing here and with me privately, you seriously have a great business proposition. I'm seriously impressed. These feet, the screen protector and 'the other stuff' ;o) . Insanely good. Take my money! 

• Like 1

@intime-nick Those feet look great and would be interested in a set. However I had a look at my Helix at rehearsal last night, and because the case is a lot more sculpted than the LT version, some of the feet are further from the edge and these replacements might not work. I'll send you a photo of the base when I get the chance - hopefully later today - so you can see and advise.

Edited by BigRedX

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

@intime-nick Those feet look great and would be interested in a set. However I had a look at my Helix at rehearsal last night, and because the case is a lot more sculpted than the LT version, some of the feet are further from the edge and these replacements might not work. I'll send you a photo of the base when I get the chance - hopefully later today - so you can see and advise.

ah - i see - i've just had a look at some pics of the Helix Floor and it is completely different to the LT underneath.  It looks like it only has 4 feet instead of 6 on the LT (difficult to tell from the pics i found) and they are much more recessed from the edges as you say.  I can design some feet to fit but will need some dimensions of their position on the base of the unit.  

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Muppet said:

They'd have been better off with a bit more of a script, or at least more of an idea about how the thing works.

Yeah, after watching it I agree with you totally. Had the potential to be a much more useful demo of the unit. Oh well...

Interesting new L6 product for modellers - aimed at the guitarists at the moment, but an indication of the future.

And the blurb from Eric Klein 

So are these the Helix FRFR speakers we’ve been requesting for, like, years?
Nope—Powercab is waaay beyond your bog standard FRFR speaker. When paired with any modeler, it’s an active speaker system that can deliver a much more authentic “amp-in-the-room” playing experience. However, when set to Flat mode (and whether you load IRs into Powercab or your modeler), Powercab amplifies the sound of your presets as they are, similar to a traditional FRFR speaker system—but with a response and feel closer to that of an actual guitar amp.

Powercab works as both a backline amp and a wedge speaker, thanks to its integrated kickstands.

Oh, and it looks like a guitar amp instead of a PA speaker. So that’s cool.

What’s going on under the hood?
Powercab doesn’t utilize cab modeling; it has true speaker modeling. Speaker Modeling is Line 6’s proprietary method of duplicating the frequency and behavior of speaker drivers by themselves, independently of the cabinets in which they happen to be loaded. Imagine having an empty 1x12 speaker cabinet where you can swap out the Greenback for a Creamback or a Swamp Thang or an Alnico Blue—instantly—and you’re close.

I don’t own Helix. Will Powercab work with my Kemper, Atomic, or Fractal box?
Absolutely! And any other modeler as well, including POD HD500X. In fact, if your modeler has a 48kHz AES/EBU out (or S/PDIF out with RCA-to-XLR M adapter), with Powercab 112 Plus you can run everything digitally, with no additional D/A/D conversion or latency. And if your modeler sends MIDI messages, you can even sync Powercab 112 Plus’s presets and user IRs with your modeler or profiler’s presets.

Which six speakers are the models based on?
Celestion® Vintage 30
Celestion® Greenback 25
Celestion® G12M-65
Jensen® P12Q
Eminence® Swamp Thang Patriot Series
Celestion® “Blue Bell” Alnico
What’s the difference between Powercab 112 and Powercab 112 Plus? 
Powercab 112 Plus adds the following:
2-inch, 128 x 32-pixel LCD display
128 user preset locations
128 user IR locations
MIDI In and Out for recalling presets, IRs, and most parameters (can also be recalled via USB)
AES/EBU | L6 LINKTM digital In and Out
Additional input for use as an FOH monitor (post-DSP)
Powercab Edit connectivity
USB audio interface for jamming along with or monitoring backing tracks from your Mac/PC/iOS* device
User-selectable mic modeling and distance on the XLR output (Powercab 112’s output uses an SM58 model only)
Powercab 112 Plus is about 2 lb (1 kg) heavier
*iOS interfacing requires the Apple Camera Connection Kit

How loud do they get?
250 watts total. That's 200 watts to the woofer and 50 watts to the compression driver.

Wait. 250 watts doesn’t sound like much. Aren’t there other speakers that are thousands of watts?
250 real watts, not marketing watts. The operative spec here is SPL (Sound Pressure Level). Powercab reaches 125dB SPL handily. You should have no problems playing next to the drummer.

What’s the reference speaker used?
Powercab features a custom designed 8Ω, 12" coaxial speaker that uses a guitar-style cone as opposed to a PA-style cone with a 2” high-temperature voice coil loosely based on the Eminence Beta 12CX format. The 1” compression driver is a Celestion CDX 1-1010, which is used only for Flat mode, monitor feeds, and user IR modes; it’s not utilized at all for speaker models.

How do I load IRs into Powercab 112 Plus?
From the free Powercab Edit software (Mac/PC) via USB.

So I can edit presets via Mac or PC?
Yes. Powercab Edit (Mac/PC, available this May from http://line6.com/software/) is used to manage, reorder, backup, import, and export your Powercab 112 Plus presets and IR files (2048-point, 48 kHz .WAV). This allows you to easily create an unlimited collection of presets and IRs stored on your computer, and transfer them as needed to Powercab 112 Plus.

Can I get a cover for Powercab?
Yes, Powercab covers will be available from select retailers and the Line 6 Store; expected US street price is $69.99.

Dimensions/weight? Am I gonna break my back?
Powercab 112—22.3”w x 18.2”h x 12”d (33.25 lbs)
Powercab 112 Plus—22.3”w x 18.2”h x 12”d (35.5 lbs)

What’s the price? 
Powercab 112—$599.99 US street
Powercab 112 Plus—$799.99 US street

When are they shipping?
May 2018.