Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Helix.

fretmeister

Just been able to find the time do to some serious Helix programming, but I thought I run the updates first as I'm still on 2.21 which is what mine came with.

So I go to the Helix site and download the latest version - 2.53 - but it's a .hxf file and my Mac doesn't know what to do with it. I thought the updaters were stand-alone programs? 

Have I got the right file? If so what should I do with it? If not what should I be downloading?

Why is the process so unintuitive?

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Why is the process so unintuitive?

Once you have Line 6 Updater installed on your mac then updating is a doddle. Just remember to back up your presets in HX Edit first so you don't lose your presets after an update.

Thanks! All sorted now. 

Now I know what to do it's easy, but IMO Line6 really don't make it very intuitive. I just searched for Helix software and downloaded the latest version. There's nothing on the page to tell you that you need the Line 6 Updater application as well. That should be at the top of the Helix (and any other product that requires it) downloads page, so newbie like me know what to do.

I didn't need to back anything up because I've not made any changes to any of the programs yet. I thought I'd make sure that the software was up to date first.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Thanks! All sorted now. 

Now I know what to do it's easy, but IMO Line6 really don't make it very intuitive. I just searched for Helix software and downloaded the latest version. There's nothing on the page to tell you that you need the Line 6 Updater application as well. That should be at the top of the Helix (and any other product that requires it) downloads page, so newbie like me know what to do.

I didn't need to back anything up because I've not made any changes to any of the programs yet. I thought I'd make sure that the software was up to date first.

I've been moaning at L6 on the FB group for ages about the update process.

Now that you have 2.50 (or beyond) it is a lot easier as the new HX Edit software is far better.

Still needs a 1 button Back Up and Update option though.

On 3/8/2018 at 12:11, fretmeister said:

I've been moaning at L6 on the FB group for ages about the update process.

Now that you have 2.50 (or beyond) it is a lot easier as the new HX Edit software is far better.

Still needs a 1 button Back Up and Update option though.

Do I need to download the new version of the HX Edit software separately?

EDIT: sorted. I did need to download the most recent version of the editor, and finally managed to work out where it was in the big list of updates for the Helix.

Edited by BigRedX

And some more stupid questions...

I want to use the Guitar and Aux inputs to allow me to have both my main bass and backup connected permanently to the Helix. So i've set the top path input to Guitar and bottom path input to Aux. I've then added a Volume and EQ section on the bottom path which will even out the volume and tonal differences between the two basses.

Now I want to route the bottom path so that it merges with the top path before the first effect on the top path, but I can't work out how to do this. The manual has a page of info on Split and Merge modules but I can't work out how to add them. I'm obviously doing something very stupid here. Any help?

Secondly. Is it possible to set the bank control to move the banks up and down one at a time rather than two? I simply can't use the upper set of foot switches because the lower ones are in the way and from my experience with the Shortboard, I'm always pressing a lower switch by accident with my heel when I'm trying to press an upper one with my toe. So at the moment any patches in the even number banks are wasted spaces unless I can work out a way to move them to the lower set of switches. Any ideas?

7 hours ago, BigRedX said:

And some more stupid questions...

I want to use the Guitar and Aux inputs to allow me to have both my main bass and backup connected permanently to the Helix. So i've set the top path input to Guitar and bottom path input to Aux. I've then added a Volume and EQ section on the bottom path which will even out the volume and tonal differences between the two basses.

Now I want to route the bottom path so that it merges with the top path before the first effect on the top path, but I can't work out how to do this. The manual has a page of info on Split and Merge modules but I can't work out how to add them. I'm obviously doing something very stupid here. Any help?

Secondly. Is it possible to set the bank control to move the banks up and down one at a time rather than two? I simply can't use the upper set of foot switches because the lower ones are in the way and from my experience with the Shortboard, I'm always pressing a lower switch by accident with my heel when I'm trying to press an upper one with my toe. So at the moment any patches in the even number banks are wasted spaces unless I can work out a way to move them to the lower set of switches. Any ideas?

Stilletos. Less likely to hit the lower switch if you're wearing them. 

Thanks... I'll duck back out of this thread :D

• Haha 1

Haven't tried this yet but the Helix cheat sheet would suggest you just need a merge block in the correct place. Same as parallel processing one input signal and combining before the output.

Edit: Page 18 in the manual

Edited by Bigwan

22 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

If you find you can't do a weird routing thing you want interally then you can always use a patch cable in the FX loops and use separate send and return blocks to put stuff anywhere.

You can jump the paths at will then.

Genius.

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

If you find you can't do a weird routing thing you want interally then you can always use a patch cable in the FX loops and use separate send and return blocks to put stuff anywhere.

You can jump the paths at will then.

Right after a lot of head scratching I think I might have an answer:

Path 1 Guitar Input > Return 1 > Main chain of effects > Output

Path 2 Aux Input > EQ > Send 1 > physical patch cable going from send 1 to return 1

Helix gurus, does that sound feasible? Anything I should look out for?

And now another stupid question:

Is it possible to save the settings for each individual FX module so I have a set of presets for each module that I can choose from when making a new patch? And most importantly can I save the settings for the global EQ module? This will be most useful when I have to use someone else's amp and cab at a gig, so I can create a set of global EQ presets which can be loaded quickly at the soundcheck.

Edited by BigRedX
I think I may have an answer

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Alas no block preset saving.

there are LOADS of people voting for that on Ideascale though so I think it will happen. 

Dont know about globals as I don’t use them. I have multiple versions of patches instead.

What is Ideascale and where do I join?

Multiple versions of patches are no good to me as I have between 1 and 4 patches for each song. Also, since one of the bands I'm in uses backing, I'm hoping to sync the patch changes via MIDI so I don't actually have use the footswitches live. And therefore I need to ability to do a master EQ tweak that I can save an recall without simply writing down the settings.

And BTW I found a way of setting the footswitch assignment to one row of patches and one row of stomp switches so the bank select just moves one bank at a time. Success!

Slowly but surely getting there.

I'll be using my new set up for the first time at rehearsal tonight. I've got most of the major variations in sound set up and copied to the relevant locations I'll tweak them as we practice the songs. From the Helix Edit application I saved a Set List. Has that backed all my patches up to my Mac? It wasn't very obvious.

EDIT: and the routing suggestion worked although I did have to play a lot with the gain structure to get everything sounding right.

BTW is there any visual indication of clipping in the signal path? I've found that it's possible with some modules to add a lot of signal boost. The BassPod had a section of the LCD display that lit up if you were overloading at any point.

Edited by BigRedX

First rehearsal done, the Helix and RCF745 performed very well. 

However it has thrown up a niggle with the way the volume pedal works with the Helix. It appears that position of the pedal is being saved as part of the patch, so if I fade a song out at the end using the pedal, when I select the next patch the volume is immediately set to full (because that is how it was saved) even though the pedal is in the minimum volume position. This could be a problem if I need to use the pedal on the next song because as soon as I move it the value jumps to the pedal position, and on one song it should start with me fading in a very noisy overdriven sound, but instead it comes on abruptly at full volume as soon as I select the patch.

Is there a way to make the volume pedal work like it does on the BassPod with the Shortboard, where it acts as a non-programmable output volume? I had a look in the Global settings but couldn't see anything obvious. 

Which also brings up another point. The PDF manual which was on the memory stick that came with the Helix is now very out of date (it's for Firmware V1.0). Is there a more up to date manual? I can't see one in the downloads section of the Line6 site.

7 hours ago, Musashimonkey said:

Thanks!

I'm finding the whole Line 6 site fairly un-user-friendly for new users. Once I've figured out (or been told) where the relevant information is, I'm OK but finding exactly what I want and where to look isn't as simple as it should be.

It isn't helped by various parts of the site being off-line at times over the last week or so.

And am I the only one who thinks that since Line 6 are now only supplying manuals as PDFs they should be updated more often? Supplying the Firmware V1 manual with a Firmware V2.1 Helix is pretty bad, but there should also be more frequent updates - especially when something major like the 2.5 firmware with loads of new modules is released.

Edited by BigRedX

12 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Good stuff - what did it replace? Two big cabs wasn't it? How does it compare in terms of perceived size of rig behind you and volume?

5 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Good stuff - what did it replace? Two big cabs wasn't it? How does it compare in terms of perceived size of rig behind you and volume?

My main rig is BassPod>Tech Soundsystems Black Cat Amp > EBS Proline 410 + 210, but recently I've been using a TecAmp Puma and Dr Bass 612 + 210 Cabs for rehearsals and live use as it's a bit more "portable". 

When I was setting up the sounds at home volume I was a bit worried that I was missing a bit of the low-mid presence of the bigger rig, but in the rehearsal room, if anything I had slightly over-cooked the bottom end and could have done with a bit more clarity and definition in the high mids. There was actually a noticeable bass being transmitted through the solid floor of the room which definitely wasn't there with the Dr Bass cabs. Maybe that's due to using the RCF in its wedge position? One thing that was very gratifying with the Helix and RCF combination was that all my different patches sounded a lot more "balanced" straight off and I don't think I'll need to do anything like as much level adjustments as I had to with the BassPod.

I'll be doing some tweaks between now and the next rehearsal, and then the real test will come next Friday when I'll be gigging it for the first time. That will be interesting - especially as I think the opening band will be hoping to use my rig (IIRC the headlining act doesn't have a bass player). I may have to create a couple basic Amp/Cab patches for others to use.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BigRedX said:

However it has thrown up a niggle with the way the volume pedal works with the Helix. It appears that position of the pedal is being saved as part of the patch, so if I fade a song out at the end using the pedal, when I select the next patch the volume is immediately set to full (because that is how it was saved) even though the pedal is in the minimum volume position. This could be a problem if I need to use the pedal on the next song because as soon as I move it the value jumps to the pedal position, and on one song it should start with me fading in a very noisy overdriven sound, but instead it comes on abruptly at full volume as soon as I select the patch.

Is there a way to make the volume pedal work like it does on the BassPod with the Shortboard, where it acts as a non-programmable output volume? I had a look in the Global settings but couldn't see anything obvious. 

Which also brings up another point. The PDF manual which was on the memory stick that came with the Helix is now very out of date (it's for Firmware V1.0). Is there a more up to date manual? I can't see one in the downloads section of the Line6 site.

I'm really hoping that somewhere it's possible to save the level of the pedal at zero rather than max in this case.