Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Helix.

fretmeister

I'm looking forward to the Line 6 HX mini (MS-60B size) and the Line 6 HXn due (with DI and headphone out and aux in plus additional cab sims) both "due out" early to mid 20XX...

I will be very tempted to get both :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

The sounds are the same. Only you can decide if the extra connections are worth it.

But you do get a much larger discount on Native with the Full Fat compared to the LT.

Yes I’ve just been looking at the Native price/discounts, that’s a considerable difference! 

Some more opinions after another brief session with the demo testing out my most used effects:

Overdrives: The legacy ones are mostly lacklustre but the Teemah, Compulsive Drive, and Obsidian from the Helix set are all outstanding on bass. Definitely the best digital drive sounds I've heard, I would be happy using these for sure.

Octaver: No classic bass octave down in the standard range but the legacy Bass Octaver is excellent. Doesn't sound anything like an OC-2 but is fat, sounds great blended with the dry signal, and tracks well with low latency. The simple/dual pitch from the Helix effects offers a decent POG-like effect.

Filters: The Tron Up / Tron Down from the legacy range is pretty good but I've just found the Autofilter from the Helix range is my favourite. I can't get the Mutant one to trigger well, seem to sensitive. Still prefer my Fwonkbeta and Discombobulator though!

Phasers: There is a Script Phase 90 on offer, but unfortunately not my two favourites the Block Phase 90 and Small Stone.

Overall, not sure if the software trial version is limited compared to the full fat version but I expected a lot more FX models than what is offered.

Edited by dannybuoy

Any of you finding your sound for recording or FRFR rigs without using the amp models at all? I'm getting some usable sounds (into headphones at least) using the FX alone.

Didn't spend too long dialling them in but preferring those to what I can get out of the actual bass amp sims!

That Hiwatt guitar amp does sound frigging good though. I reckon I could come up with a crossover patch based around either that or some other guitar amps that would give the Tech21 Geddy / Dug units a run for their money.

8 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I continue to be impressed at how close the 'Obsidian 7000' cops a B7K, including its knack of making any other dirt pedal going into it sound awesome. Obsidian 7000 with a (real) Alpha Omega switched on half way through:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApKsVfvGwYkOiqVRHNPDvmbDsfumow

All your recordings are very convincing. They sound very well

I just tried to recreate an Alpha Omega type distortion...

First clip is Helix Native with 1.5kHz mid boost going into a signal split between a HiWatt amp + cab in parallel with the Facial Fuzz, then a clean channel on a separate path. 

Second is an Alpha Omega with the knobs mostly around noon, bite on and growl off.

I literally only spent a few minutes tweaking and recording this so they're not EQ'd that closely. First clip needs a bit less 100Hz and a bit more 500Hz for example, but as a proof of concept I think it's not that bad!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I just tried to recreate an Alpha Omega type distortion...

First clip is Helix Native with 1.5kHz mid boost going into a signal split between a HiWatt amp + cab in parallel with the Facial Fuzz, then a clean channel on a separate path. 

Second is an Alpha Omega with the knobs mostly around noon, bite on and growl off.

I literally only spent a few minutes tweaking and recording this so they're not EQ'd that closely. First clip needs a bit less 100Hz and a bit more 500Hz for example, but as a proof of concept I think it's not that bad!

Nicely done!

From three sessions of playing with mine the amp model I like the best is the Roland Jazz Chorus!

I also don't see any reason why you need to use an amp and cab models. After all an amp is just an EQ circuit bolted onto something to amplify the signal enough to drive the loudspeakers. For many years my bass rig was a Peavey multi-effects unit going into a power amp.

Edited by BigRedX

51 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

From three sessions of playing with mine the amp model I like the best is the Roland Jazz Chorus!

I also don't see any reason why you need to use an amp and cab models. After all an amp is just an EQ circuit bolted onto something to amplify the signal enough to drive the loudspeakers. For many years my bass rig was a Peavey multi-effects unit going into a power amp.

I agree - with bass, I actually prefer no speaker emulations. Certainly wouldn't say the same for guitar though!

Ok, I’ve got hold of a Helix, and to be honest, I’m a little bit swamped with the range of options. Some of the presets are little ‘out there’, but I can see it’s got great tone in here too. Does anyone have any patches (though I’m sure that’s not the right word) they’re willing to share at all to give me a head start please? 

On 10/12/2017 at 20:51, mrtcat said:

I have used it with both an Rcf745a and Barefaced FR800s. Both are a brilliant partner for a helix. Our guitarist has also used both with a helix and prefers the FR800 for aesthetic reasons and also thought it was a bit crisper. 

Mrtcat, or indeed anyone else with the FR800, do you find you have enough gain to drive the barefaced cabs with the helix?

I had a Kemper for a bit, then I borrowed a helix for a bit but never really tried it at full chat. I'm kinda tempted, but line 6 don't quote output and those 2.400 amps are not the most sensitive of things.

My verdict as my trial of Helix Native draws to a close:

- Some truly amazing dirty bass sounds, mainly due to the Darkglass clone and the ability to blend guitar amps in parallel. Such a shame the HX doesn't offer these.

- A solid Octabass octave down which is great for blended purposes, but no classic soloed OC-2 sound. Octave ups are ok but are far behind the POG or Whammy in terms of tone and tracking.

- One decent filter, but I prefer my existing filter pedals.

- I didn't find a phaser that I liked as much as the MXR Phase 90 or Small Stone.

- I didn't like any of the bass amps at all. I tried to get a decent lightly overdriven B15 kind of sound, but found I could get much better results out of my VTDI or Tonehammer pedals, or Tonestack or Bias apps on my iPad.

- I didn't bother much with the rest of the effects!

9 hours ago, Jack said:

Mrtcat, or indeed anyone else with the FR800, do you find you have enough gain to drive the barefaced cabs with the helix?

I had a Kemper for a bit, then I borrowed a helix for a bit but never really tried it at full chat. I'm kinda tempted, but line 6 don't quote output and those 2.400 amps are not the most sensitive of things.

Absolutely no problem driving the FR800. With the master volume on the helix at about 70% it's insanely loud. It's linear volume too so, unlike many bass amps, it'll continue getting louder all the way up to 100%. The cabs will protect themselves so there's no worry about damaging them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Absolutely no problem driving the FR800. With the master volume on the helix at about 70% it's insanely loud. It's linear volume too so, unlike many bass amps, it'll continue getting louder all the way up to 100%. The cabs will protect themselves so there's no worry about damaging them. 

Good to know! Can you get them to clip? What's the internal gain on the amps? Mine has to be set to 18db to get them to full volume with a GK Plex.