Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Helix.

fretmeister

5 hours ago, burno70 said:

I'm thinking of going down this route. It would be a great solution to a number of issues I have at the minute.

I'd rather get the LT due to the price difference, but I find the the lack of effect visualization (or lack of scribble strips from the floor model) a bit daunting. LT users out there - is this an issue at all? 

None at all! I change the screen mode so that it shows the 8 rectangles that label the 8 buttons (You can name them to what ever you want).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dood said:

None at all! I change the screen mode so that it shows the 8 rectangles that label the 8 buttons (You can name them to what ever you want).

Ah I see. I thought you were stuck with the colour of effect type type and that was worrying me. Thanks Dan.

The Helix sounds perfect for what I want to do. I've been a gig fan of the M13 in all its incarnations for years and this is so much more useful. Will have a think first though - it's such a radical change of gear.

It's both. You can assign it to one or both and it'll do a load of other stuff too like assigning variable drive levels on amps or distortion pedals etc. 

Ive had my LT for a few weeks now and barely scratched the surface of what it can do - basically, if you can think of it, it’ll probably be able to do it. 

Edited by intime-nick
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, intime-nick said:

It's both. You can assign it to one or both and it'll do a load of other stuff too like assigning variable drive levels on amps or distortion pedals etc. 

Ive had my LT for a few weeks now and barely scratched the surface of what it can do - basically, if you can think of it, it’ll probably be able to do it. 

Thanks Nick. I had assumed that this would be the case but saw a thread on TB referring to the on board volume pedal and looking to had an expression pedal. That's a relief as use my expression pedal way more than my volume pedal.

So a question related to the Helix LT.. I've invested in a superb flightcasse for my Helix, but I am finding that with my bad back, whilst it is all loaded up with my gear, it's proving a pain to move. If I can find a lightweight alternative system I'l sell the flight case off cheaply.

My question is this.. what do I use instead?

4 minutes ago, dood said:

So a question related to the Helix LT.. I've invested in a superb flightcasse for my Helix, but I am finding that with my bad back, whilst it is all loaded up with my gear, it's proving a pain to move. If I can find a lightweight alternative system I'l sell the flight case off cheaply.

My question is this.. what do I use instead?

A laptop bag.

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

A laptop bag.

Helix LT would be too big for a laptop bag unfortunately, although a bag has been in my thoughts. What would be cool is one of those semi/flight hard foam cases that are used for guitars and keyboards but to the size of my pedal board. I think that would make a significant weight saving. The gigs we're going doesn't really require the need for a full touring flightcase. I wonder if there's anyone out there custom making those foam cases?

9 minutes ago, dood said:

Helix LT would be too big for a laptop bag unfortunately, although a bag has been in my thoughts. What would be cool is one of those semi/flight hard foam cases that are used for guitars and keyboards but to the size of my pedal board. I think that would make a significant weight saving. The gigs we're going doesn't really require the need for a full touring flightcase. I wonder if there's anyone out there custom making those foam cases?

Ah sorry you're correct - I've got the Helix HX in my GAS head at the moment! :)

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Ah sorry you're correct - I've got the Helix HX in my GAS head at the moment! :)

Yes, mine too... I keep telling myself to stick with the LT... but, you know that pedal board I was talking about ha ha ha ha... 

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@doodDesigned for computer screen protection, so should be sufficient also for a Helix LT? Just a thought.

https://www.roccat.org/en-GB/Products/Gaming-Accessories/Tusko/

That's a really interesting idea actually. A wrap around rather than a case. I'm looking at my 'board' to see if I can shrink the surface area (the LT is mounted to it and currently measure in the region of 720mmx420mm

• 2 weeks later...

Had an hour or so with Helix Native this evening. Pretty impressed with the B7K Ultra sim, I'm used to practicing with the M900 preamp out direct to headphones and it gets pretty close (but not quite). Sure beats the model in the Source Audio Aftershock, would love to compare it to the model in the Zoom B3n.

Also enjoyed the UK bass preset with a Hiwatt amp, great for nailing 'My Generation'. Octavers are decent, filters aren't great though (haven't tried the newly added legacy ones yet though).

So far though I'm glad I did it this way with the software trial rather than buy the hardware just to try it out. I don't think I'm ready to give up my standalone pedals just yet!

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

So far though I'm glad I did it this way with the software trial rather than buy the hardware just to try it out. I don't think I'm ready to give up my standalone pedals just yet!

Whereas I've just bitten the bullet on a full fat Helix with 18 months 0% finance... 

26 minutes ago, ern500evo said:

18 months 0%?? That’s some deal, most places are only offering 9 months 0% if you wanna go down the credit route! 

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/line-6-helix-guitar-effects-processor

Edit: Just noticed it's £14 cheaper than when I ordered it the other day!

Edited by Bigwan

6 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Whereas I've just bitten the bullet on a full fat Helix with 18 months 0% finance... 

3 hours ago, ern500evo said:

18 months 0%?? That’s some deal, most places are only offering 9 months 0% if you wanna go down the credit route! 

I managed to bag my LT on 24 months interest free via PMT! Bonkers and so pleased I did when they offered it!

So, what are the real world differences between and full fat and LT? As a bit of background, I’m likely to be using it mainly in a rock type covers band, would also like to use it for a bit of home recording (this would only be laying bass tracks onto drum loops and then putting some guitar down) I think my main temptation is the ability to run the two outputs from my Yamaha Attitude ltd through different signal paths, and create some specific patches for each track/song, so that I’m not fiddling about with drive levels between songs etc, just select the patch for the so g and go. Just wondering how much benefit I’d gain from the extra £300 for a full fat?