Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Helix.

fretmeister

4 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I've got a bunch of aftermarket IRs

Some are great some are shite. The downloads usually come with dozens of files so it's very easy to get ear fatigue auditioning them.

And so far I haven't found a solitary IR (for guitar or bass) that I couldn't match with the onboard cabs.

Then there's the OTB eq setting option instead of using any cab sim at all. That's pretty cool too.

I wish the Helix was around ten years ago or more. I was doing the OTB stuff with a 24 band programmable EQ in my rack! I had about ten different programmes matching a range of different speakers - I actually have the same EQ out at the moment, which is fun! 

49 minutes ago, dood said:

I wish the Helix was around ten years ago or more. I was doing the OTB stuff with a 24 band programmable EQ in my rack! I had about ten different programmes matching a range of different speakers - I actually have the same EQ out at the moment, which is fun! 

I used the Boss EQ-20 ten band for a similar approach.

I actually managed to make a Marshall Bass 12 combo (vile piece of crap that was) sound like a bass amp! 

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I used the Boss EQ-20 ten band for a similar approach.

I actually managed to make a Marshall Bass 12 combo (vile piece of crap that was) sound like a bass amp! 

I still have my first amp - it was the Marshall Bass 12!!! - I sealed the cabinet at the back with a single piece of 18mm MDF which improved things greatly. I then popped the amplifier out and tapped the output of the preamp for running into a 400W power amp and a pair of 15's. You'll be surprised to hear that the preamp actually sounded very good! I think it was just a pair of 1458's and a passive tone stack.

2 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

I've done it Dan, sold all of my pedals / power supplies / boards (apart from the EBS Sheehan pedals)......

I kept a small board worth for when I won't take my rack. In hindsight maybe I should have bought a floor helix rather than the rack.

Even then it's a compressor, Alpha Omega, BSW sort of stuff. I haven't got round to selling my medium or large boards yet. Must do that. With the power supplies there's quite a lot of dosh there.

I kept my EBS Sheehan deluxe as well- even thought he Helix now does the Pearce thing really well.

• Like 1

Hopefully the final prototype - first gig test tonight and then i'll make a couple more for further evaluation.

Now uses microsuction tape to stick to the helix so will fit both versions and is removable / repositionable with no tape residue stuck on the helix.  Screen is now 3mm thick (up from 2mm) and laser cut/engraved

27018416_10157187466295031_2133123425_o.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

I've done it Dan, sold all of my pedals / power supplies / boards (apart from the EBS Sheehan pedals)......

10 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I kept a small board worth for when I won't take my rack. In hindsight maybe I should have bought a floor helix rather than the rack.

Even then it's a compressor, Alpha Omega, BSW sort of stuff. I haven't got round to selling my medium or large boards yet. Must do that. With the power supplies there's quite a lot of dosh there.

I kept my EBS Sheehan deluxe as well- even thought he Helix now does the Pearce thing really well.

Maybe keeping a mini board would be a wise idea, but get rid of everything else. My EBS deluxe actually is part of my Helix board I love it that much. Which means I’ll need to buy another deluxe for my short board!!

New stuff coming to the Helix and the HX fx unit

Helix Firmware 2.50 (Helix Floor, Rack/Control, LT)

AVAILABLE SOON—DON'T LOOK FOR IT NOW!

New Amps (2)

Cali Texas Ch2, based on* the drive channel of the MESA/Boogie® Lonestar (Ch1 coming later)
Placater Dirty, based on* the BE/HBE channel of the Friedman BE-100 (Clean channel coming later)

* All product names are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with Line 6.

New HX Effects (6)

Delay > Multi Pass (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original bandpass-filtered multitap delay
Reverb > Glitz (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
Reverb > Ganymede (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
Reverb > Searchlights (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
Reverb > Plateaux (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
Reverb > Double Tank (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original

New Legacy Effects Models (77)

Helix Floor, Rack/Control, and LT now include a library of effects from M13, M9, M5, DL4, DM4, FM4, and MM4. These appear in a new "Legacy" subcategory in the model list.

Distortion > Tube Drive
Distortion > Screamer
Distortion > Overdrive
Distortion > Classic Dist
Distortion > Heavy Dist
Distortion > Colordrive
Distortion > Buzz Saw
Distortion > Facial Fuzz
Distortion > Jumbo Fuzz
Distortion > Fuzz Pi
Distortion > Jet Fuzz
Distortion > Line 6 Drive
Distortion > Line 6 Distortion
Distortion > Sub Oct Fuzz
Distortion > Octave Fuzz
Dynamics > Tube Comp
Dynamics > Red Comp
Dynamics > Blue Comp
Dynamics > Blue Comp Treb
Dynamics > Vetta Comp
Dynamics > Vetta Juice
Dynamics > Boost Comp
Modulation > Pattern Tremolo
Modulation > Panner
Modulation > Bias Tremolo
Modulation > Opto Tremolo
Modulation > Script Phase
Modulation > Panned Phaser
Modulation > Barberpole
Modulation > Dual Phaser
Modulation > U-Vibe
Modulation > Phaser
Modulation > Pitch Vibrato
Modulation > Dimension
Modulation > Analog Chorus
Modulation > Tri Chorus
Modulation > Analog Flanger
Modulation > Jet Flanger
Modulation > AC Flanger
Modulation > 80A Flanger
Modulation > Frequency Shift
Modulation > Ring Modulator
Modulation > Rotary Drum
Modulation > Rotary Drm/Horn
Delay > Ping Pong
Delay > Dynamic
Delay > Stereo
Delay > Digital
Delay > Dig w/ Mod
Delay > Reverse
Delay > Lo Res
Delay > Tube Echo
Delay > Tape Echo
Delay > Sweep Echo
Delay > Echo Platter
Delay > Analog Echo
Delay > Analog w/ Mod
Delay > Auto-Volume Echo
Delay > Multi-Head
Pitch/Synth > Bass Octaver
Pitch/Synth > Smart Harmony
Pitch/Synth > Octi Synth
Pitch/Synth > Synth O Matic
Pitch/Synth > Attack Synth
Pitch/Synth > Synth String
Pitch/Synth > Growler
Filter > Voice Box
Filter > V Tron
Filter > Q Filter
Filter > Seeker
Filter > Obi Wah
Filter > Tron Up
Filter > Tron Down
Filter > Throbber
Filter > Slow Filter
Filter > Spin Cycle
Filter > Comet Trails

Improvements/Changes

If a Snapshot has been given a custom switch color, that switch ring now displays a dim color when not active
12 of Helix’s 17 reverbs originally appeared in M-Class processors and Verbzilla. As such, they’ve been moved into the new “Legacy” subcategory within the Reverb category
Helix's tempo no longer responds to pressing TAP at tempi lower than 40.0 BPM (Beats Per Minute). This is to ensure that multiple fast tap entries are recognized properly, as previously, they could be seen as one really slow tap entry. You may still manually select a tempo all the way down to 20.0 BPM and your presets can still be saved with tempi down to 20.0 BPM—just touch TAP and turn Knob 6 (BPM)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of going down this route. It would be a great solution to a number of issues I have at the minute.

I'd rather get the LT due to the price difference, but I find the the lack of effect visualization (or lack of scribble strips from the floor model) a bit daunting. LT users out there - is this an issue at all?