Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Helix.

fretmeister

6 hours ago, BassBus said:

Where the hell do I start? :/

Make sure you have the latest firmware upgrade installed. Then think about what you want from it (outputs to pa or amp or both etc). Then you can start building from there. 

16 hours ago, BassBus said:

Ah well. Just been and gone and bought one today.

Where the hell do I start? :/

16 hours ago, CameronJ said:

You mean between your last post and this one??

13 hours ago, BassBus said:

Ehm, yes.

These posts have been awarded ten likes, a thumbs up and one of these emoticons: :drinks:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 15/12/2017 at 16:48, BassBus said:

Can any of you gents tell me if the Helix is able to do auto volume/swell in the way that Mooer Slow Engine/ Boss Slow Gear does?

On 16/12/2017 at 09:21, CameronJ said:

A question I’d also like to know the answer to!

I think I have the answer to this. There is no specific auto volume but there are a couple of delays that can swell the tone in and work very well. They sound a bit glitchy sometimes when playing chords but still not too bad.

Edited by BassBus

OK!  A few gigs in now with the Helix.

Wow - Just Wow.  Fantastic bit of kit.

I've set up a patch where I tried to cover most things I might need for my usual cover band set. 

The patch I created is a blend of 2 signals, clean low end with (switchable) octave down & then a hi-mids/treble signal with (all switchable) overdrive, octave up, chorus and flanger.  Both signals also start with some compression.

Then it's mono XLR out direct to the PA and using in-ears.

It's a lot of fun creating the patches, trying different amps/cabs/mics for the different signal paths etc, which overdrive sounds best etc, and I'm very pleased with what I've managed to create so far.

Also the ability to share patches with other helix users is really cool.  Even if you don't end up using them yourself, I've so far found them to be a good 'education' on what you can do.  Or indeed use them as starting points for creating my own patches.

Who knows what's around the corner, but I can definitely say for now that the Helix is providing everything I need to sound great.  And to be honest, I don't think I've even scratched the surface with it yet...

Edited by LewisK1975

I finally got round to getting a Helix LT yesterday and although i've just started playing around with it, it does seem rather marvelous.  My day job of designing musical instruments meant it would only be a matter of time before i started making bits for it and the first one is a screen protector.  I'm aware of the one you can get from the USA but I thought i'd do my own version (early design pics attached).  It's a 3D printed frame with a 2mm thick polycarbonate or acrylic window.  It attaches to the LT with either magnetic tape (inset into the frame) or double sided tape.

I'm going to print one in the next few days so will post some pics of it installed if anyone might be interested

Helix screen protector 2.jpg

Helix screen protector 1.jpg

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

That looks great. Would you consider doing one for the full sized helix too? I suspect you’ll sell a few on here, not to mention folks on the various Facebook groups.

No problem - I may take off the 'LT' part to make in more universal.  I assume the full fat Helix has the same size screen as the LT ?  It'll also need to be fixed with double-sided tape as i believe that model has an aluminium body not steel like the LT (but i could be wrong).  I'm just printing some fixing feet to attach it to my flightcase pedalboard and then i'll make a prototype of the screen

Edited by intime-nick

1 minute ago, intime-nick said:

No problem - I may take off the 'LT' part to make in more universal.  I assume the full fat Helix has the same size screen as the LT ?  It'll also need to be fixed with double-sided tape as i believe that model has an aluminium body not steel like the LT (but i could be wrong)

I’m not sure myself as I don’t even have a Helix 😂 :ph34r:

9 hours ago, intime-nick said:

I finally got round to getting a Helix LT yesterday and although i've just started playing around with it, it does seem rather marvelous.  My day job of designing musical instruments meant it would only be a matter of time before i started making bits for it and the first one is a screen protector.  I'm aware of the one you can get from the USA but I thought i'd do my own version (early design pics attached).  It's a 3D printed frame with a 2mm thick polycarbonate or acrylic window.  It attaches to the LT with either magnetic tape (inset into the frame) or double sided tape.

I'm going to print one in the next few days so will post some pics of it installed if anyone might be interested

Helix screen protector 2.jpg

Helix screen protector 1.jpg

Designs musical instruments as a day job..... In the words of Monty Python, "You lucky, luck b*stard!" ha ha ha - seriously though that sounds very cool. I would very much like to be added to the queue for the LT magnetic screen protector. I think the example here looks ace! Great work!!!

Ha, yeah  I count myself as very lucky but like all jobs, it has its ups and downs. 

I’m going to prototype one of the screen protectors over the next few days and when I’m happy with it, I’ll post some pics.  After that, I’ll probably make a few to send out for testing / feedback so I’ll let you know. 

Edited by intime-nick
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, intime-nick said:

I’m going to prototype one of the screen protectors over the next few days and when I’m happy with it, I’ll post some pics.  After that, I’ll probably make a few to send out for testing / feedback so I’ll let you know. 

Please count me in for one of these, I’m gigging mine regularly and this will certainly help with my concerns about using it at the dog and duck! 

Quick print of first prototype minus the polycarbonate screen (I've still got the original film on the screen hence the bubbles).  I'll be making a few tweaks to the design (mainly so the lettering prints better) but it fits well and doesn't look too out of place.

26238193_10157127123630031_445930638_o.jpg

26540142_10157127123190031_1291510158_o.jpg

Edited by intime-nick
  • Like 2

On 29/12/2017 at 13:26, LewisK1975 said:

OK!  A few gigs in now with the Helix.

Wow - Just Wow.  Fantastic bit of kit.

I've set up a patch where I tried to cover most things I might need for my usual cover band set. 

The patch I created is a blend of 2 signals, clean low end with (switchable) octave down & then a hi-mids/treble signal with (all switchable) overdrive, octave up, chorus and flanger.  Both signals also start with some compression.

Then it's mono XLR out direct to the PA and using in-ears.

It's a lot of fun creating the patches, trying different amps/cabs/mics for the different signal paths etc, which overdrive sounds best etc, and I'm very pleased with what I've managed to create so far.

Also the ability to share patches with other helix users is really cool.  Even if you don't end up using them yourself, I've so far found them to be a good 'education' on what you can do.  Or indeed use them as starting points for creating my own patches.

Who knows what's around the corner, but I can definitely say for now that the Helix is providing everything I need to sound great.  And to be honest, I don't think I've even scratched the surface with it yet...

Which version of the Helix did you go for?