Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Helix.

fretmeister

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1508253179' post='3390877']
Yes.

Dead easy.

Each of the chains can be separated or joined together for a mono output.

In fact if you really want - you can have 1/4 inch to a real amp, and another going to a 2nd amp without cab sims. Then the XLRs with Cab Sims going to the PA split left and right or clean and dirty.... and then have the USB going to a PC for recording etc etc.

Easy to do as well. Set each input path up for a different input so they behave like separate amps. Then at the end of each path set which output you want to route it to.

Under 20 seconds to set up that routing. Probably under 10 seconds when you've had it for a week!
[/quote]

Just another reason why I really am starting to love Helix! I just need to work on the BSSDD pedal 'modelling' and I'll be set. The only reason why it didn't come out to a gig this weekend. I think I'm going to buy that new 'live in' pedal board rack case too. soon!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1508253179' post='3390877']

Yes.

Dead easy.

Each of the chains can be separated or joined together for a mono output.

In fact if you really want - you can have 1/4 inch to a real amp, and another going to a 2nd amp without cab sims. Then the XLRs with Cab Sims going to the PA split left and right or clean and dirty.... and then have the USB going to a PC for recording etc etc.

Easy to do as well. Set each input path up for a different input so they behave like separate amps. Then at the end of each path set which output you want to route it to.

Under 20 seconds to set up that routing. Probably under 10 seconds when you've had it for a week!
[/quote]
Thanks, that's awesome info! I'm meeting up with an old guitarist friend of mine who's got the Helix original, be good to sit down and have a good play about with it without having to go to a shop. I can see my wallet taking a hiding in the not too distant future! My only concern is having something that expensive sat on the floor at pub gigs, but for financial reasons, the LT is a more attractive proposition than the rack unit. What I've down in the past at really tight gigs, is place the pedal board behind me, in front of my amp, which is fine as I don't tend to switch fx mid song anyway, I'm doing 99% covers now so it's more likely to be set a patch for a song and leave it.

The guitarist in my country band brought his new Helix LT to our gig last Saturday and ran it into his Fender Deville in place of the ancient Boss Multi-FX he had been using. He said he had initially set it up to duplicate the effects he normally uses, but the difference in clarity of sound was immediately noticeable. You could hear the quality, as it were.

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1508264252' post='3391007']
Thanks, that's awesome info! I'm meeting up with an old guitarist friend of mine who's got the Helix original, be good to sit down and have a good play about with it without having to go to a shop. I can see my wallet taking a hiding in the not too distant future! My only concern is having something that expensive sat on the floor at pub gigs, but for financial reasons, the LT is a more attractive proposition than the rack unit. What I've down in the past at really tight gigs, is place the pedal board behind me, in front of my amp, which is fine as I don't tend to switch fx mid song anyway, I'm doing 99% covers now so it's more likely to be set a patch for a song and leave it.
[/quote]

The guy that mods the biggest facebook group makes protectors for them. Little stick on things to go over the screens and scribble strips. If you are gigging in places where spillage is likely then it might be worth getting a set

https://www.facebook.com/groups/line6helixusergroup/

Join the group and send a message to Chad Boston.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1508315007' post='3391231']

The guy that mods the biggest facebook group makes protectors for them. Little stick on things to go over the screens and scribble strips. If you are gigging in places where spillage is likely then it might be worth getting a set

https://www.facebook.com/groups/line6helixusergroup/

Join the group and send a message to Chad Boston.
[/quote]
Yes I've joined that page/group to have a read up and get some views on it. Thanks for the heads up on the protectors, I think they'd probably be a must for me. Had a message from my guitarist friend last night to say I'm welcome to take his home with me for a few weeks and really get a feel for it, which is really cool. Looking forward to seeing what it can do, although his is the full fat version.

The software between the LT, Full fat and rack is identical.

It's only the external connections that is really different. Fewer fx loops on the LT

If you create great patches on the borrowed one you can get your mate to upload them to the L6 site or email them to you so you don't have to recreate them when you get yours.

Just out of interest, what are you guys using for power? Are you still using your amp's input or fx return, or a dedicated power amp, active cabs? Just curious really, part of me is thinking that, if I do go down the Helix route, I'd probably keep my MB Fusion and go into the fx return, meaning I've always got the option of going through the amp should anything go wrong.

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1508921613' post='3395291']
Can the XLR and 1/4" outputs be individually selected as specific outputs or are they always linked?
[/quote]

I’m pretty sure you can route whatever you want to whichever output you want. Others will be able to give you a more specific answer though...

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1508924128' post='3395325']
I'm pretty sure you can route whatever you want to whichever output you want. Others will be able to give you a more specific answer though...
[/quote]

I thought that but then I was having a quick play with my LT at the weekend and was updating my band setup. I have added a Fender deluxe on a separate path (Channel 1 Return I/P) as a backup for our guitar players Hot Rod (never know when a tube may go) and was intending to assign it to XLR output 2, as my Bass output is wired to XLR Output 1 (feed straight into the bands PA) but there did not seem any option to select 1 or 2 - just XLR (or indeed 1/4") and I don't want our sounds to merge before the PA.

My guitarists both use the rack/footswitch set up.

They sound fantastic.

But. Silly things convince me I want nothing to do with big flash units like this.

One was a "reset" incident where all saved patches were lost.

I laughed a bit.

I don't like the lack of air moving on stage, and it's just...I dunno.

And they've got them in stupid big rack cases so it may as well be a decent little valve combo and get a couple of pedals - they only use delay, reverb, drive and chorus. Seems pointless.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1508930950' post='3395403']
My guitarists both use the rack/footswitch set up.

They sound fantastic.

But. Silly things convince me I want nothing to do with big flash units like this.

One was a "reset" incident where all saved patches were lost.

I laughed a bit.

I don't like the lack of air moving on stage, and it's just...I dunno.

And they've got them in stupid big rack cases so it may as well be a decent little valve combo and get a couple of pedals - they only use delay, reverb, drive and chorus. Seems pointless.
[/quote]

I have to admit the size of the rack version is one of the reasons why I'll probably go with the floor unit.

Not having a backup of your patches and a means to reload them is user error IMO. Also if the reset is as deeply buried on the Helix as it is on the BassPod it takes a special kind of idiot to trigger it.

I used to be (briefly) in a band with a guitarist who only had simple 4 pedals but he still couldn't remember to settings he needed for the songs in our set from one rehearsal to the next.

IME small guitar combos don't move much air either - my Hughes & Kuttner Tube 50 with a Marshall PowerBreak to bring the output volume down to sensible levels on stage has no discernible air movement whatsoever.

I like programmable multi-effects, but then I've been using them since 1990, and I'm well organised. IMO the people who can't get on with them aren't much better with individual pedals either unless they only have one sound for each unit.

Well I've just come home with a full-fat Helix floor unit.

Initial observations:

1. It's big and heavy, but looks well built. Good to see an actual built-in PSU rather than a wall-wart and flimsy lead that will become disconnected (or damaged) at the most inconvenient moment. Made like a proper professional piece of equipment.

2. No manual... WTF. I know that it's essentially all in the software that will hopefully be continually up-dated over the coming years, but still it would be nice to have something more than a double-sided "cheat sheet" to get me started. I've just paid over £1k for this and would expect some serious bath time/bedtime reading to go with it. I like manuals and I still need to refer to my BassPod manuals when I need to access the less well-used functions. Maybe the Helix is just so intuitive I won't need a manual. We'll see...

3. There's a BFO allen key and a rubbery nodule. What are they for? This is where a manual might have come in useful.

4. There's also a USB stick. I'll find out what that's for shortly, but if it's got anything essential on it, then I feel sorry for those users whose computing needs are met by a Tablet or Smart Phone, as they won't be able to do anything with it.

Anyway, I'm about to go in. I might be some time...

I haven't got a helix yet but here's hoping santa brings me one in a few weeks. I've seen a few videos on it and I think all the manuals are on that USB stick. I can't decide whether or not to ditch the AD200B and go with a helix through an orange terror bass! I've heard the svt amp modelling is spot on.

OK, the manual was on the USB stick. What do people who don't have access to a device that can read a USB stick do? Also according to the manual "USB flash drive containing the Helix Owner's Manual you’re reading right now and more" - what more? All I can see is the manual in 6 different languages.

It also explains what the allen key is for, but not what the rubbery nodule does. Is it supposed to cover the bolt for adjusting the pedal stiffness?

At this point I have discovered that someone (probably an ex-Terrortone guitarist) has "borrowed" my spare long jack-to-jack lead, so it will be some time while I hunt for another one before I can actually fire the thing up and get some sounds out of it.

I believe that there are software and firmware updates for the Helix. Does Helix V2.21 contain everything I need or are there other things I need to download first?

I enjoyed my time with modelling but I’ve moved my Helix Floor on. If I’m being honest I still just prefer to plug into an amp I like and using physical pedals. I still don’t find the use of multi effects as fun as individual pedals.

With bass in particular, if I really want a light rig Ill just DI with a good quality pre-amp pedal or mini board with pre-amp.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1509663800' post='3400774']
I enjoyed my time with modelling but I’ve moved my Helix Floor on. If I’m being honest I still just prefer to plug into an amp I like and using physical pedals. I still don’t find the use of multi effects as fun as individual pedals.

With bass in particular, if I really want a light rig Ill just DI with a good quality pre-amp pedal or mini board with pre-amp.
[/quote]

Been toying with the idea of Helix lately but I fear I’m of a similar disposition to yourself re: preferring the physical pedals...I guess I need to borrow a helix for a while and give it a little trial in my own time.

I love Helix, it's absolutely brilliant. The sounds, the effects routing, just great. but, I'm really finding ZERO time to spend with it to get it set up and this it hasn't even reached a gig yet. I've spent more time fiddling with the Native plug-in. I'm beginning to wonder if I actually need it at all!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1509701338' post='3400919']
I love Helix, it's absolutely brilliant. The sounds, the effects routing, just great. but, I'm really finding ZERO time to spend with it to get it set up and this it hasn't even reached a gig yet. I've spent more time fiddling with the Native plug-in. I'm beginning to wonder if I actually need it at all!
[/quote]

If I’m being honest with myself, a good 80% of the Helix attraction for me is the excellent routing options. The many ins/outs, fx loops etc are tickling my geek gland.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1509665446' post='3400785']

Been toying with the idea of Helix lately but I fear I’m of a similar disposition to yourself re: preferring the physical pedals...I guess I need to borrow a helix for a while and give it a little trial in my own time.
[/quote]

I would either try borrow one, or have one on a very good returns policy when you know it can be sent back no issues. I'm not sure whether you can send it back once the seal is broken to be honest.

I got mine from Richtone, and as soon as it arrived I thought it was WAY too big and heavy, but exceptionally well built. I asked them about returns and as it wasn't faulty I would have to pay and arrange my own return, which I guess is fair, and I would then get a full refund.

As the postage would have been £20-30 at least, I thought I'd try it out properly (as well as I could) and yes, it does sound good. Our Fretmeister kindly helped out and sent over some sample patches and IRs.

Whilst the technology is fabulous, and the way Line 6 has designed it is fantastic, I don't think I'm ready for it. One, I don't gig enough and if I did it wouldn't be through amazing PA's that I could use this with. Two, I don't record very often at home at all. Three, I actually prefer the simplicity of an amp and the fun of having physical pedals (with a switching system). Four, I wasn't absolutely bowled over by it. It sounds good, and I didn't really concentrate on the bass side, but the guitar side seemed more suited for 80s high gain stuff....that's not me. I wasn't convinced by the delay, reverb or the pitchshifting. Five, it seemed like a lot of hassle to get that sound you wanted. With my Boss Katana for guitar which I use for low volume stuff at home, I just plug in and it's fun, and it cost £230 for the whole amp, speaker, effects, etc. Unless you have a lot of time to really get into it then it could be a bit 'oh for god sake, what now'. Six, the tuner is appalling. Absolutely shocking for such a high end bit of kit.

I do think despite my criticisms that eventually, this tech will move so far on that I will be able to embrace it, but for now, it was surplus to requirements and was just sat there whilst I was eyeing up fuzz pedals. I was using the Helix into the effects loop of an amp (so just using the power section) and through a set of headphones and I just thought 'why am I doing this....I could just use the amp without this huge bit of kit and throw in my favourite pedals which do sound better'.

I bought it just before the price surge and managed to do a deal, so I knew I wouldn't lose too much. Otherwise, I don't think I would have tried it.

Edited by Musicman20